Humane societies are as bad as the pet stores!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

Nicole

I just started volunteering at OSPCA for my high school hours as well as resume experience with other kids and I was VERY disappointed with the care I saw and my dad almost started yelling at them and was disgusted.

The dogs were in good care, clean cages, food, water, we walked them, that was our job(the volunteers).

In the main part though there was 3 or 4 guinea pigs in a little super pet cage all squished in with no bedding that I could see it was just they were all matted because they were long haired, very disappointed.

The rabbit just had nothing in his cage, water bottle, no food that I could see but there possibly was.

The chinchilla was sitting in a room with no breeze, windows open but it was so humid and its sitting in there with places shelves and its just curled up looking dehydrated, it must've been AT LEAST 75F in there, that's minimum it possibly could've been cause I was standing there sweating doing nothing...
It was in shade but it was so hot, the poor thing had sunken in eyes.

The cats were just horrible looking, they NEEDED to be brushed, not want they needed it.
This one cat was feeding itself out of a aluminum can, sticking its paw in and taking it out and licking it, I mean its kind of cute but that's how he has to eat?
The kittens looked pretty sad, poop in liter boxes, not over flowing but there was 6 staff in there my dad said and they were sitting around doing NOTHING.
I was disgusted by the smell, if you clean animals, it would not smell like that especially when you have screen doors and windows open, it would not normally smell like that.

Unfortunately I saw this in another city to.
Kingston Humane Society dogs are really good but their cats aren't amazing looking etiher.

My youth worker reported Gananoque Humane Society in Gananoque, Ontario because she smelt alcohol on the owners breathe, it was awful, cats hissing and scratching at each other, even though they are ungrading there is no reason for that, send the cats to a different humane society if you are going to put them in those conditions, cat pee just blah it was awful.

I feel so sorry for the animals in Brockville Humane Society but I don't have the guts to report it because I volunteer there and don't want to get confronted or in trouble but I wish somebody would, I really do if they saw the conditions there, that poor chinchilla I wanted to grab him and put him in one of your hands, I know you'd guys would do so much better with them....Even if it was like 70F in there I would've been MUCH more happy but 75-80F that's not good, that's not right and I don't find it humane at all especially with OSPCA officers in the building.

Just wanted to rant and share I guess, I know if I had a humane society, I wouldn't take an animal in if it was going to wind up in those conditions, the rodents could at least have chew toys to grind their teeth on, etc, maybe a cat toy, why not? A wooden block, those are so cheap...
They should have their own room NOT with the cats and kittens with an AC on.

I'm so very disappointed and wish I had the guts to stand up and report this, unfortunately my youth worker did for the one in Gananoque and nothing ever seemed to change, it has also been reported in the newspaper because the owner or manager wouldn't give water to a cat when a customer asked to give the cat water.

Very sad and disappointing.
I saw a turtle purposely get hit the other day to, dinner plate sized turtle and gets hit when there's a passing lane and nobody in it.
My friends cat also got hit the other night, I learned this lesson a year ago, my cat of 8 years got hit, on a 40km road in the daytime how do you hit a cat, I just don't understand, maybe I'm missing something but a wide road that you have to legally go slow on I just I don't get it, at all.
Keep your cats inside, on a leash or COMPLETELY gated in, one or the other, or eventually you won't have a cat.
My cat was found alive that was the hardest part, we knew he was suffering for at least 12 hours cause the neighbors told us, well they know where I live its a 600 pop town, they could've came and told me instead of just letting my cat lay on their couch in the garage with broken legs.
There is so much anger in the world and not enough love.

I wouldn't say that humane societies are as bad as pet stores. Perhaps the one by you is bad, but I volunteer at my local one and it's the nicest one I've been to.

If you don't want to say something, maybe offer to clean out the areas that you think need work? Offer to clean the cat cages or give bedding to the guinea pigs. Perhaps they're just understaffed. I know in the US with the economy the way it is, so many animals are getting surrendered.

You've made a pretty big generalization. A lot of the dogs that end up in our HS buildings have been with owners for years, but never stepped a foot inside a house. Cats are in an amazing set up, but rarely do they get adoptions.

Sounds like you need to have a talk with the director of your HS and explain to them that the small animals need special care. Maybe offer to bring in some shavings or something.

Our local humane society in Tucson is great. They do a fantastic job. When a rescue chin comes in they call and need me to come immediately because they don't really have the facilities to accommodate animals with serious temperature issues most of the time.

I'm sorry that this one place wasn't doing that wonderful of a job with their animals. :(

I have to agree. The HS and the shelters out here do a great job. They are clean and very well kept.

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. Not all are like that.

The Gananoque shelter is great and their workers are wonderful caring people. This shelter is run totally by volunteers and rarely receives government funding.

Sure, sometimes places that house as many cats as the shelters do, smell. Think about how bad it smells when your cats drops a bomb in the litter box. Multiply that by 40 or 50.

You're giving generalizations here without stating the circumstances. Perhaps during your visit, they haven't finished cleaning cages. The woman that complained because the shelter manager wouldn't give a cat water, but maybe they were in the process of cleaning dishes and giving fresh food and water. Perhaps there was a medical reason that the cat didn't have water in the cage. Without knowing the circumstances it is unfair to complain.

We have had numerous cats from the Gan shelter and these volunteer workers are wonderful people doing the very best they can. If you feel so strongly that things aren't being done properly, why aren't you volunteering to help?

I think there's a difference in intent between the two. When you find a bad pet store, it's likely because the proprietor doesn't really care about the animals and just wants to make a quick buck. When you find a bad branch of the humane society, it's likely because they don't have the resources to care for the animals although they would like to.

The Gananoque shelter is great and their workers are wonderful caring people. This shelter is run totally by volunteers and rarely receives government funding.

Sure, sometimes places that house as many cats as the shelters do, smell. Think about how bad it smells when your cats drops a bomb in the litter box. Multiply that by 40 or 50.

You're giving generalizations here without stating the circumstances. Perhaps during your visit, they haven't finished cleaning cages. The woman that complained because the shelter manager wouldn't give a cat water, but maybe they were in the process of cleaning dishes and giving fresh food and water. Perhaps there was a medical reason that the cat didn't have water in the cage. Without knowing the circumstances it is unfair to complain.

We have had numerous cats from the Gan shelter and these volunteer workers are wonderful people doing the very best they can. If you feel so strongly that things aren't being done properly, why aren't you volunteering to help?

I volunteered at Gan and the cats hissing at each other and fighting was unbearable, I just didn't like the care they were in and if they were in the process of upgrading I think it would be fair to send them to a humane society that has space rather then shoving cats in with each other and having them fight and scratch each other.
If you clean something like that properly it would not smell like that.

I just have strong feelings around the ones around here and I don't seem to be the only one with this opinion.
Maybe I am being a bit critical but I'm not the only one who feels like this.
I could try and talk to the main person in charge and explain to them that chinchillas need cooler environments and even in one of the back rooms where its shady and cooler would be a better suit for them.
I'll ask them if they need anything donated and maybe go to the dollar store and pick up toys for the cats.
They won't allow anybody to touch the cats because of viruses being spread around but the cats are right beside each other so I'm confused on that part.
I don't know what I could get for the rodents because a lot of stuff from the pet store is absolutely junk, any ideas where I could make something with a few supplies?
Cat toys are not a problem I can get tons and donate them I'm just out of ideas as far as the rabbits, guinea pigs and chinchillas go.

What should I do about the caging of the guinea pigs? Should I suggest they be separated? Of course I can't donate cages but I wish I could.

I want to approach the lady and explain my concern but not show anger or be hostile because she might start mouthing me and get negative, especially with a 14 year old telling her how it is and what not.

I don't know what they're being fed but that's not my main concern right now.

They NEED to get their act together and provide decent accommodations for all the animals they take in.

I know nothing about guinea pigs, but I heard that you can keep them in small plastic kiddie pools...that may be cheap enough to find something like that so it would be bigger and they'd have more room to run around a bit. (I'm sorry if I got that wrong!)

I'd suggest that all animals of the opposite sex be kept away from each other to prevent any more unwanted little ones.

They NEED to get their act together and provide decent accommodations for all the animals they take in.

I know nothing about guinea pigs, but I heard that you can keep them in small plastic kiddie pools...that may be cheap enough to find something like that so it would be bigger and they'd have more room to run around a bit. (I'm sorry if I got that wrong!)

I'd suggest that all animals of the opposite sex be kept away from each other to prevent any more unwanted little ones.

I agree its like well can't you send them to another humane society if you are just taking them in and putting them in the same conditions they came out of?
I know they need stuff donated but that should be optional stuff, they NEED to provide the mandatory stuff or they should not be running the humane society in my opinion but everybody has their own.
I'll go buy some cat food and toys for the cats but I don't see them changing the housing needs for any of the animals anytime soon.
I'll try and talk to the manager or officer but they might be stubborn even though I'm trying to give advice and help.

If I found out the 3 or 4 guinea pigs were male and female I would be absolutely flaming unless they are neutered.

The cats might as well be dead without any affection, any toys, basic needs, they're most likely better off in the homes they were in unless they were being abused and what not.
Poor cat only had a litter box and a blanket and food and water, and I guess we're not aloud to touch them cause of a virus message or something, well jeez don't you think you should have the cages in different rooms for quarantine?
So unsuitable for animals, I'd rather be dead if I had to be in a cage all my life with no attention, I absolutely would.
I'll see what I can change but with an OSPCA officer there I don't think he or she is going to change it, if not I'll have to contact the city....
I don't expect them to run to the litter box everytime a cat poops but after a week of build up yeah I think it should be cleaned.
If there are 6 people walking around and talking to each other, then they obviously are not understaffed and could be doing more to help.
It is like a hoarders home in there, its very sad and disappointing but I can only try and help and I'll spend $50 in what I can for the animals but to get them in better cages and housing it would take over $1000, so hopefully I can at least make a little dent and give the kittens balls to play with and the dogs a chew bone or toy possibly....
I have a part time job but animals are so worth it.
If they ignore me then I'll go to whoever I would have to.

I'll be seeing them soon with lots of toys and food....

The cats might as well be dead without any affection, any toys, basic needs, they're most likely better off in the homes they were in unless they were being abused and what not.
Poor cat only had a litter box and a blanket and food and water, and I guess we're not aloud to touch them cause of a virus message or something, well jeez don't you think you should have the cages in different rooms for quarantine?
So unsuitable for animals, I'd rather be dead if I had to be in a cage all my life with no attention, I absolutely would.

I .

The object of a humane society is to hopefully place cats as soon as possible. If their adoption rates are good, the cats can temporarily go without toys. Keeping disease down in shelters is very, very important. For one thing people will start screaming "unhealthy animals" and then most importantly adoption rates will go way down.

Many shelters do not have the funding to provide large luxurious cages for their animals. So many times they have to do with the bare minimum.

And these cats aren't in those cages for their whole lives with no attention. They're trying to be adopted out, so they shouldn't be there for their whole life.

You realize that many breeding animals aren't provided with large cages and toys right? But they aren't wasting away or dying because of it. These animals are there for a short amount of time. I'm sure they can survive without toys during that time.

At the shelter I volunteer at, the animals get toys. I know that it's important for their mental health. Somehow I doubt that none of the animals have toys. And if in fact they don't have toys, I'm sure it's not that the shelter is trying to make the animals suffer, they're run by volunteers, so it's not like they can rush out and buy the newest and best toys for their pets..

And again, I highly doubt that cat was living in it's filth for a week. I just cleaned cat cages today at the shelter, and I can tell you, even in one day, a cat can make its cage look like it hasn't been cleaned in days. They play with the blankets and put them in their water, overturn their food dishes and can miss the litter box, or get the runs and it gets mushed on the walls and on the bedding. I've seen this happen over night. One person cleans it one day and the next day someone else cleans it. Just today there were a couple cages that looked horrible. But they were just cleaned yesterday. That's just what happens when a cat is in a smaller space and they move around and mess their bedding up.

If Nancy said this shelter isn't that bad, I'm inclined to believe her, there's no reason for her to lie about it.

I also wanted to add that many shelters that "specialize" in dogs and cats don't know the proper care for the small animals they take in. It doesn't mean they don't care, but the information they get isn't always good. When I adopted 4 chinchillas from the local HS a few years ago, they were extremely surprised when I explained proper care of chinchillas to them (as far as bedding, temperature, etc). It's no different than people who get into the animals and get the wrong information.

Also, in regards to the spreading of disease amongst cats, they don't want you petting the cats because YOU can carry diseases to spread amongst the cats. I know at the local HS here, they don't mind if you've used hand sanitizer, but they still don't like you going from cage to cage touching the animals.

As far as "sending the animals to another shelter", these shelters aren't the only ones overwhelmed by animals. All shelters are, so what makes you think the animals would be "better off" in another shelter? Most shelters will put as many animals into foster homes as they can, but you have to face it. There just isn't enough. How long have you been volunteering there?

And ditto what Alli said about the animals making messes almost immediately. You've seen chin cages an hour after they've been cleaned, right? Also with what she said about Nancy.

Many shelters do not have the funding to provide large luxurious cages for their animals. So many times they have to do with the bare minimum.

And these cats aren't in those cages for their whole lives with no attention. They're trying to be adopted out, so they shouldn't be there for their whole life.

You realize that many breeding animals aren't provided with large cages and toys right? But they aren't wasting away or dying because of it. These animals are there for a short amount of time. I'm sure they can survive without toys during that time.

At the shelter I volunteer at, the animals get toys. I know that it's important for their mental health. Somehow I doubt that none of the animals have toys. And if in fact they don't have toys, I'm sure it's not that the shelter is trying to make the animals suffer, they're run by volunteers, so it's not like they can rush out and buy the newest and best toys for their pets..

And again, I highly doubt that cat was living in it's filth for a week. I just cleaned cat cages today at the shelter, and I can tell you, even in one day, a cat can make its cage look like it hasn't been cleaned in days. They play with the blankets and put them in their water, overturn their food dishes and can miss the litter box, or get the runs and it gets mushed on the walls and on the bedding. I've seen this happen over night. One person cleans it one day and the next day someone else cleans it. Just today there were a couple cages that looked horrible. But they were just cleaned yesterday. That's just what happens when a cat is in a smaller space and they move around and mess their bedding up.

If Nancy said this shelter isn't that bad, I'm inclined to believe her, there's no reason for her to lie about it.

I understand that and its not the sizes of the cages that really both me at all, its how they physically look, it puts you in pain to look at them and I'm not an overly sensitive person either.

A lot of people have been against the Gananoque shelter for a long time, I've been going in there since I was 5 on and off and my grandma refused to get a cat from there because of how they physically looked, and its not just 1, its all of them.

I understand there are circumstances where you have to feed an animal something certain for a day and nothing else can be in the cage, but I don't believe having consumed alcohol right before work is professional or proper at all honestly, we were standing 3 or 4 feet away and if she can smell alcohol coming off of her breathe then I don't understand like how that is proper, I understand she probably wasn't drunk or harming anybody but I also don't think its suitable for a manager of a humane society or whoever she was I know she was the highest person up not just a random volunteer there to have alcohol on her breathe in the middle of the day, that's not right in my opinion, a drink on the weekend, sure but not at your job when you're trying to be professional and get animals adopted out, no way.

My opinion that's all, I'll try and speak to the highest person that's there and try and explain to her my concerns positively and provide donations and if they just become negative with me then there's not a lot I can do but go to the city.

I understand if they were there for 2 months and they got adopted out that's fine, but when it puts you in pain to see them or smell the smell coming out of that shelter then something needs to be done, if you can smell ammonia the second you step in the door like come on that's not right, especially with windows open, I know it and everybody else knows it, its disgusting, and cat pee is strong I know that, I've had 2 and they were males and sprayed but having a litter box and everything, that is just horrible man.

I'll do what I can do but I can only do so much.

I also want to add that although she may have smelled like alcohol, she may not have been drinking. I've noticed, working at the pharmacy, that there's quite a few older people who have an alcoholic smell to their breath, though they don't drink. It's all in the care they provide themselves, too.

I volunteered at The Stray Cat House in Jacksonville, FL a few years ago. It's a free roam shelter for cats, and it was immaculately clean, yet it STILL smelled like ammonia from the cat's urine. There were over 100 cats there, and they had free reign over all the rooms inside and the fully fenced outside. No matter what room you were in, it still smelled horrible no matter what was done. Volunteers cleaned everything (the walls, the floors, the litter boxes, EVERYTHING) every day and the smell was still pungent. It just happens with that many cats. This was a private shelter, though it still ran on donations, so the cats did have toys, and cat trees, and all types of fun things, but everythign had been donated by other people, not purchased by the shelter itself. Also, if the shelter has a huge amount of cats, they can't all be brushed. A lot of the cats didn't want to be touched either, so you can't get angry that they aren't groomed like they should be. No one is going to wear gloves up to their shoulders and try to hold a cat that doesn't want to be held to brush/wash/whatever to the cat.

When it comes to them fighting, unfortunately if they have no other cages to put them in, they have to deal. Cats have spats ALL the time. I ahev two cats at home that will one minute be loving each other and the next minute be hissing and growling and "fighting". Some places just don't have the resources that others do because people don't donate to the shelter as much. Also, the government funds have also gone down, so that doesn't help either.

I haven't been to this shelter so I can't speak for them. I can only speak about the one I worked at, which also had a few cats that didn't get along and also smelled like urine, no matter what was done to stop it.

Well, the door to the outside remained open to all the cats, except the sick ones who were in a quarantined area of the building. The building was set up much like a house. Different rooms, windows in all of them, sleeping/lounging areas, etc. They also had a room set up with cages for the brand new arrivals, but everything else was open to all the cat/people who came in to adopt. The outside area was very cool. It had a huge "cat house" (basically like a huge bird house with cubbies in it that would fit at least 50 kitties individually) and their was a small pond out back where they liked to lounge (some evem swam!).

I really wish the place was able to stay open. :( It closed down last year. Another shelter bought it and still house some cats there until they are adopted, but that shelter is too snooty for my taste, and they charge way too much for adoptions. This would be why they always have cats up for adoption...they just seem "off" as a whole, like they are there only to make money which just irks me.

Back