H.R. 669 Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjudes

7 Chins, 1 Cat, & an Andy
I was talking to Linda from Quality Cage and they forwarded on this information regarding some legislation that is being heard on 4/23/09 on regarding the prevention of exotic (or non-native) wildlife.

Here is the link for the full proposed legislation: http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=111_cong_bills&docid=f:h669ih.txt.pdf

Here is a great starting place in case you can't/don't want to comb through 8 pages.
http://www.capwiz.com/naiatrust/issues/alert/?alertid=13098456

I saw that last night on a Sugar Glider website... a similar bill was proposed last year and was rejected. I hope this one goes the same way.

Although this forum is approaching 1200 members, I wonder if it would be benificial to get the number of chins represented, in case we have to send letters to congressmen or whomever?

Just an FYI to everyone who has read the info posted recently about HR 669'

Permission to cross post the following information below given....

Learn who these groups are that are helping fight for your rights
to keep animals. Remember these initials as the good guys

>>ACTION ALERT - FROM AFA, ASA, and NAIA, with additional information from PIJAC >>

ASA- Avicultural Society of America

AFA- American Federation of Aviculture

NAIA- National Animal Interest Alliance

PIJAC- Pet Industry Joint Advisory Council

KNOW these names, LEARN these names...these are groups that are fighting for YOUR PETS; YOUR RIGHTS TO KEEP THEM!!! Reach out, grab a hand and lets put them to work writing, calling and faxing.

ACTION ALERT - FROM AFA, ASA, and NAIA, with additional information from PIJAC

WE NEED YOUR HELP - WHETHER YOU OWN AN "EXOTIC" ANIMAL OR ANY OTHER ANIMAL.
HR 669 IS SET FOR HEARING ON 4/23/09.
WE ALL NEED TO WORK TOGETHER TO KILL HR 669 NOW.

THE ISSUE - WHAT IS HR 669? - WHAT WILL IT DO?

"ONE GENERATION AND OUT" is not just limited to purebred dogs and cats. Now our "non-native" species" are targets of the animal prohibitionist agenda. Under HR 669, "non-native" basically means if a species of animal didn't live in the US before the arrival of Columbus it is "non-native", and if HR 669 passes, most non-native species of animal (i.e., exotic animals) won't remain in the US much longer. That means your exotic pet bird, reptile, fish, or mammal.

Wow, I hope is does not pass. What a stupid way to waste our money!

So even horses would be illegal since they were brought over. Too many people would go out of buisness if this was passed.

Chinchillas are considered livestock in the U.S. as are horses, cows, swine, etc. Look it up before you panic please.

this Act shall not interfere with the ability of any
person to possess an individual animal of any species if
such individual animal was legally owned by the person
before the risk assessment is begun pursuant to subsection
(e)(3), even if such species is later prohibited from being
imported under the regulations issued under this Act.

But if it also affects those selling products, I'm curious as to how accessible feed, etc would be...

Chinchillas are considered livestock in the U.S. as are horses, cows, swine, etc. Look it up before you panic please.

This is true, but many of us have other pets other than Chinchillas. No one should panic, but at the same time shouldn't put their head under the sand and think it wouldn't impact them in some way. There are people who think no animal should be owned, and this is just one of many ways they are working at their goal.

I didn't edit in time but wanted to bring this up, and ask...

I had one question pertaining to chinchillas as livestock. For us in the city limits livestock is prohibited, and here anyhow Chinchillas are considered exotics by many. Often when you post an animal for sale say on Hoobly.com etc they are listed under exotics and not livestock. This could be an argument the AR people could use against us. JMO

I wish people would READ before the jump off the bridge, I'm sorry, but most people are just a bunch of sheep.

It states that any species that is non-native, but currently here in large numbers will not be effected by this because it would be too hard to police it. That's most of what is here right now.

This is mostly about IMPORTING, not banning animals that are already here. Anything that is considered "domesticated" will not be affected. Chinchillas are not wild animals in the US, they are "exotics" but domesticated, same for sugar gliders, etc.

Basically if a certain kind of snake is not native and not considered domesticated, you can't bring them here, and you can't breed them, although I did see something about a permit.

This is almost identical to the last one they tried to pass, and everyone got their panties in a bunch about it without even reading anything about it except what people write up and WANT you to think. Please people, lets think for ourselves for a change!

(D) does not include any cat (Felis catus),
8 cattle or oxen (Bos taurus), chicken (Gallus
9 gallus domesticus), dog (Canis lupus familiaris),
10 donkey or *** (Equus asinus), domesticated
11 members of the family Anatidae (geese), duck
12 (domesticated Anas spp.), goat (Capra aegagrus
13 hircus), goldfish (Carassius auratus auratus),
14 horse (Equus caballus), llama (Lama glama),
15 mule or hinny (Equus caballus x E. asinus), pig
16 or hog (Sus scrofa domestica), domesticated va17
rieties of rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus), or
18 sheep (Ovis aries), or any other species or vari19
ety of species that is determined by the Sec20
retary to be common and clearly domesticated.

People should ask questions, and get involved, and yes even THINK FOR THEMSELVES. I'll say it again, not everyone has just chinchillas. Some have other animals in which there isn't a large population present here in the US. This bill could affect them.
While this might not personally affect you it does me. I've acquired imported animals before to bring in new bloodlines when I was breeding Crimson bellied conures (which were first imported 10 years ago), and the rare Abyssinian lovebirds. These weren't animals you seen in the pet trade, and up until now, weren't readily available as pets.
If I decided to go back into working with some of the more rare species/mutes in birds that have a limited gene pool, I'd like the opportunity to import, or purchase imported birds.
I'm glad this was brought up here, even though it's a chinchilla forum because I believe as animal people regardless if it personally affects us, we should support one another. Granted I already knew of this bill because of the bird groups I'm on. When people don't over react such bills sometimes do slip threw, because everyone thinks it won't affect them, but it might the next person.
I think what really gets some up in arms, is the fact you might not be able to import a non native species, that isn't domesticated, and would have little to no impact in the environment if it were released in the wild, but yet a Gold fish which is on the OK list does far more damage.

It does not matter, IMO if its on importing or not. Millions of animals each year ARE imported!! That could mean no more chins, pets, etc coming in from CANADA = they are being imported into the United States. This is VERY BAD for ANY REPTILE OWNERS. Many reptiles are STILL TODAY being imported! Thats the only way for them to get in new bloodlines.

If they do this, whats next? An outright ban?

Goes back to the whole don't pass it under the bridge because you have an animal that may not be effected. In time your animal WILL be the one on the chopping block--and then who is going to fight for your right t own that animal?

I'm not saying that no one should care, I'm saying do your research before you start freaking out. Yes it affects some people here, but there are tons of people ( not just here ) freaking out about something that they really don't know anything about because they are just believing someone who told them something, who heard it from someone else, who heard it from their neighbor who's nephew works for some animal place because someone they work with heard from an animal organization that it's possible that this could happen.

Isn't it nice to know exactly what you're fighting for?

I've already heard about this and altho i doubt it will pass i tend to agree with the statement if we don't get upset then who will? It is just ridiculous all the crap our government is feeding us. All the laws their trying to pass. When will the madness end and at what cost?

Has anyone stopped to think about why the government is trying to issue this?

Do you honestly think that the government is trying to keep you from having pets?

Why do you think the government would be trying to get this passed?

Has anyone seen the devistation that a non native species can have on the native species of an area? Its heart breaking and all because people want "pets". This is for the better ment of our natural flora and Fauna and I agree with it. I personally believe in the restriction of wildlife or exotic pets. If you want to breed such a creature, get the certification.

Has anyone seen the devistation that a non native species can have on the native species of an area? Its heart breaking and all because people want "pets". This is for the better ment of our natural flora and Fauna and I agree with it. I personally believe in the restriction of wildlife or exotic pets. If you want to breed such a creature, get the certification.

Make the laws on dumping animals tougher. However, do not control my right to own what I want. Thank you very much, but I enjoy my bearded dragon very much. I also enjoy my ferrets, and my chinchillas. All NON NATIVE species.

You agree with restrictions on wildlife and exotics... Chins are "livestock" by some, exotics by others...kiss your non-native chins goodbye.

How exactly can they police the dumping of animals?

If you really want to own such an animal and it is that important to you, file the paperwork, take the courses and get certified. I don't see the point in endangering the area around me that I know and love over a "but I want it" situation. It is not the individual owner that is being restricted it the the mass import of animals.

And as long as there is a fur trade Chinchillas are livestock and I am perfectly happy with this situation. As for kissing my non-native chinchillas good bye, at no point did they ever say they were to break into people houses and take them away. This law as from what I read never said they were taking our pets out of our houses but that the importation and breeding of some non-native animals would be banned. Again, chinchillas are livestock because of the fur trade and will not be banned. So where does it say need to kiss my non native chinchillas good bye?

I read the entire bill and its for the protection of our native wilderness. If that doesn't matter too you because You believe should have what ever pet you want because you want it, grand. I actually believe in the preservation of the earth and its natural habitats and I'm willing to not have certain pets because of that.

I know this could be off topic but if we can't even get a bill passed to allow same sex marriage I highly doubt this act will fly as well.

I think a lot of this stems from that "snakehead" fish overrunning a river in Maryland! Considered a delicacy in China, they actually caught someone releasing them! They're a ferocious, cannibalistic fish that has overrun 20 miles of the river, and increases 25% a year, eating anything that moves!
Supposedly worse than pirana, and have no natural enemies, they've already chewed through nets trying to keep them to a certain area! Noone knows what to do about this thing! And ther're imported live from China as a food!!
O.K., this one I understand, But even if someones herd of 100+ chins escaped into the wilds of a mountainous area, what "devistation" could they do? If they even survived! It's not like they'd come down at night and eat a farmers 10 acre hayfield! Or raid a Tradition mill!
Hopefully they'll spell out individual species on that bill, if it even passes!

Back