H.R. 669 Nonnative Wildlife Invasion Prevention Act.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read every single word, but, it seems to be that they only have a working list as to what is considered o.k. and what's not. It is going to come down to a USDFW investigation into each animal to determine whether it is a threat to native populations and whether it would be considered to live or thrive in native locations. So, who knows what that means for any of us who have pets that are not already on the O.K. list. I'm going to have to go back and read every single word (too late tonight for my mind to accept new information) so that I can try to answer this one a little better. It also says something about animals that are already in large numbers in the US. Wonder what large numbers means? Do chins qualify? Hedgies? Who knows? My question to owners is why exactly do we need the government telling us what animals we can and cannot own/breed/profit from? I can see though what this law is supposed to be passed for as well. There are many native populations of animals that are being decimated by non-native species. NATGEO channel had a program about this Snakehead fish who had been released into a local stream and because of zero predators and it's ability to eat absolutely anything that fits in it's mouth it has taken over most of the state through small streams to large rivers, and is moving into other states very quickly. Also remember the problem with large snakes and reptiles in Florida, people buy them when they are small and cute and then they get big and cost $$ to take care of, people get bored and let them go in the wild. There's been tons of problems locally with the Zebra Mussel, it came on ships on international waters and have overtaken many rivers far upstream from the ocean that it is supposed to be living in. Instead of allowing the government in to every single thing, maybe there needs to be a way to figure out why people think that releasing their animals into the wild is a better idea than bringing them to a shelter. I guess the idea of them going into the wild makes them free, but most non-native species die very quickly upon being released because they do not have the behaviors needed to find food and shelter. I agree that instead of this being a Federal thing, it should be a State thing because every city is different in what types of animals could make it in the wild. Who knows? I do think though that we all need to stand up for eachother, there's a ton of money being spent not only on the animals themselves, but also on the supplies to take care of them. Money is always on the bottom line. And sadly as a final note here, it's always the few rotten eggs that screw it up for all the rest of us. That's what laws are made from - Rotten eggs. He he he - Jessica

This makes me think of the story "Terrible Things". For anyone unfamiliar with this book it's loosely about the Holocaust and the risks of being silent. First the monsters came and took one type of animal, and the others didn't do anything because it wasn't them, then they came and took another type of animal and the others didn't do anything again because it wasn't them, then that continued until only one type of animal remained. Then the terrible things came for those animals and they screamed for help but realized that there was no one left to help them because they were all gone. This may not affect you this time but down the line it could and who will help you then. If we don't stand up for the people being affected by this, how can we expect people to stand up for us when the time comes? It may start with reptiles but if we allow it it'll spread to all animals. I have chinchillas and dogs, this doesn't affect me yet but I'm not waiting for it to involve me, I'm going to try to help those it does affect now before it involves my animals.

However to help calm some people down a bit, there should be a "grandfather law" with this, where if you already own your animal it won't be taken from you, you just can't get a new one, but there's no guarantees that there will be a grandfather law.

Lets not wait for it to involve us, lets stand up for the others now so they'll be there to stand up for us when we need them.

I was struck by the fact that when the bill was introduced last year it had 8 co-sponsors, and this year the new version of it that went to committee had 23 or so co-sponsors! Gave me the impression that its gaining momentum??

I have not been politically active enough, but after a legislative dinner on Monday where I heard several Representatives speak I'm all fired up! My congressman & senators are hearing from me, those lucky guys!! I pay too much in taxes not to express myself. :)

I was struck by the fact that when the bill was introduced last year it had 8 co-sponsors, and this year the new version of it that went to committee had 23 or so co-sponsors! Gave me the impression that its gaining momentum??

I have not been politically active enough, but after a legislative dinner on Monday where I heard several Representatives speak I'm all fired up! My congressman & senators are hearing from me, those lucky guys!! I pay too much in taxes not to express myself. :)

Keep in mind last year it was more of a "Republican" time, and they don't really beleive in "big government". Now it's Demacrats and I guess they think it will be easier. The whole thing worries me.

So what exactly happened with it today? I don't follow politics too closely so I have no idea where I'd find out.

For some reason I just received an email from my local congressman about this bill.
In it, he disagreed with my position and said some more mumbo jumbo about how "only serious threats to the native environment" would be listed under this bill, etc etc.
I'm just confused as to why it took him, what, three months to send an automated email to my automated email?
Strange.

Back