Going back to school!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Megan

Dot lives forever!
As some of you know, especially those who are in chat... I am going back to school!

I graduated high school in 2006, and just stayed working at my job at the time (grocery store) to figure out what I wanted to do with college, had no idea what I wanted and did not want to waste the money. I was always told by many people "Your stupid for not going straight to school, you'll never go back" "You're going to stay in a dead-end job now--you're stuck".

The big toss up was.. Animal related field VS Medical field. Due to my allergies, and having enough pets at home I FINALLY decided to go medical, and tossed up different fields for prob. a good year..in the mean-time I went full time at my job, with benefits included.

I FINALLY got my butt in gear, picked two schools, decided on the Phlebotomy courses...and oh a week and a half ago I interviewed at a school.. I start classes THIS MONDAY! Course when I went to talk to my boss, she was out with family problems...so the asst. manager handled everything.

But I am FINALLY going back to school! It's ONLY roughly 8 months, and when I'm done I'll be trained in ECG, Phlebotomy, and Lab Assistant.

The school I decided on is a decent drive- 1hr 15minute commute each way, but it's only for about 5.5 months, and then they said when I'm ready to start clinical they'll try and find me something closer to home. Dropped to part-time at my job..which is a huge risk, but I think one well worth it.

Wish me luck!!! Went scrub shopping today for school, and I am now broke he-he...anyone wanna buy some chins ;)

Congratulations Megan, that's great! Best of luck to you!

Hehe.....So you ain't going to Bermuda and decided to go the school route :p I wish you all the best.............. :)

Good luck! It sounds like you're going to a school similar to mine...year round? And what field? Medical assisting? If so, you'll love it. I'm in Clinical Procedures 2 right now, next is Urinalysis for me. :)

I'm doing their "epla" course- ECG, Phlebotomy(what I'd like to do), and lab assistant. All three are wrapped into one course...yep it is year-round with classes starting I think every 5(day) or 10(night) weeks. No spring break/etc like a 'college'

Oh Boy! ECG! Have fun with THAT! I've been having soooo much fun with ECGs it's not even funny. If you need any notes for ECG, I can help ya there! As for the rest of it, you're on your own...

Do you have to have certain type scrub stuff? If not, I bet I have some stuff that you could wear.

Amanda- As far as I know we can have any type/color of scrub!

I may be taking you up on your ECG note offer!

I'm glad you decided to go to school. I am a Medical Technologist and work closely with our phlebotomists. A good phlebotomist is invaluable to a lab! A good specimen in the right tube drawn in the correct way at the right time is the only way us techs can give out good results. Have fun!

I'm doing their "epla" course- ECG, Phlebotomy(what I'd like to do), and lab assistant. All three are wrapped into one course...yep it is year-round with classes starting I think every 5(day) or 10(night) weeks. No spring break/etc like a 'college'

Yup! Sounds VERY familiar :) And I just got done with ECG and LOVED it. I was actually a "volunteer" for the girls to do it on me...it was neat to learn and have done on myself. Good luck!

congrats! That reminds me, I need to hook up my ECG machine. It's a crappy one for a physiology course. Now I know who to ask when I get stuck!

Congrats Megan! Your story sounds a lot like mine, I graduated in '03 and just recently decided to go back for Physical Therapy Asst. Its so exciting to find what your passionate about! Good luck!!

Oh Megan, that is awesome news! I know how relieving it is to finally figure out what you would like to do with your life, lol. I finally decided to go into Nursing myself. Feels like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders!

Best of luck girlie!

Latest posts

Back