Edible house?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Stakie

So, I have one brand that my chins LOVE and [Not that I remember everything in it] but I knew it was safe.

Now I found and bought a new brand. It's a bit different but I wanted to check if it's safe for them or not.. if not I am just going to return it.

Ingrediants:
Pine wood shavings, Cassava starch,Alfalfa,Liquid mix (Water,sodiom alginate,potassium sorbate,Propionic acid,Honey,Glycerin,Propylene Glycol).

I would say no because of the honey and I am not sure what a bunch of the other stuff is LOL. Is it a "Snack Shack"?

No, not safe. The honey was the first thing that jumped out at me. Just stick with simple pine houses.

The edible logz thing is basically the same as a Snak Shak, just different companies.
And I agree, they are not good for chins because of the honey. So if your old one that they loved and you thought was safe is the same type of material, that wasn't safe either. I'm sure they loved it because of the taste, but it's not really safe for them.

No.. it wasn't snak shak. All natural stuff and no honey.

But thanks for the advice.
~.^

I think the point is that even "natural" stuff can be bad for chins, depending on what it is. Heck, honey is considered "natural," isn't it?

If you get an Oxbow house, be prepared to get a new one every week or two. Trousers keeps adding her own skylights and windows to hers ;)

whats wrong with honey? my chins are currently eating honey treats. http://www.petco.com/product/14639/Kaytee-Honey-Treat-for-Chinchilla.aspx

When I had gotten one of those types of treats for Flea (don't know which flavor it was but it said for chinchillas) she ended up with fewer & small poo's and a loss of appetite. I didn't know at the time but suspected it was that treat. I took it out and a few days later she was back to normal. Later I found out that it was made with a bunch of stuff that's not healthy for chinchillas. Seeds, corn, sugary stuff...

Any type of treat with a sugary substance in it is going to be bad for chinchillas. The reason for this is the way a chinchilla digests it's food. Chins are hind gut fermenters meaning that in their gut, they use bacteria to assist in digesting their food. Throwing a bunch of sugar in the system screws up with the bacteria. When there is too much sugar, it actually kills the bacteria.

On top of having a lot of junk that isn't good for them in it, they are on a plastic stick.

If you feel you must give your chins treats a half an unsweetened shreaded wheat or a cheerio, are okay. You can give them rosehips or a little old fashioned oats as well.

Last edited:
From what I know about their "peach" wood is that it isn't actually peach, just flavored as such.

Chins don't digest sugar and shouldn't be fed treats with it in them :). Pretty much any treat found at pet stores is not healthy with the exception of lava bites and wood chews (that aren't toxic like Peach could be LOL, yet they sell it...).

I think the point is that even "natural" stuff can be bad for chins, depending on what it is. Heck, honey is considered "natural," isn't it?

If hay and wood is bad for them... then I guess I am a horrible owner then...

She wasn't saying wood and hay. where the heck did you get that. There are things out there advertised as "natural" etc etc etc, but really aren't good for them. The "natural peach wood" for example. And those "natural yogurt drops". ALL junk.

Chins don't digest sugar and shouldn't be fed treats with it in them :). Pretty much any treat found at pet stores is not healthy with the exception of lava bites and wood chews (that aren't toxic like Peach could be LOL, yet they sell it...).

OH LAVA BITESSS!
I should get some of those.
>.<

She wasn't saying wood and hay. where the heck did you get that. There are things out there advertised as "natural" etc etc etc, but really aren't good for them. The "natural peach wood" for example. And those "natural yogurt drops". ALL junk.

Ugh, I seem to come off wrong and get attacked.

I meant the house is made of hay and wood. The edible house I CURRENTLY have for them.

Geeze.

Latest posts

Back