Color verses personality

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann1

A friend and i got to talking the other day about color verses personality. It got me wondering if anyone else thought that certain colors displayed certain temperments?
I thought that the black and brown velvets always seem so spirited. Not so much with the tov's tho. On the tovs i agreed that they seem to take on the personality as their fur color. Ie: A tov white, would act more like a white etc.....
My other thought was that the violets seem to be the most mellow, layed back chins.
Of coarse these are just my opinions from what ive seen or experienced in my chins......what does everyone else think???

I know boy verses girl has been discussed in the past but didnt think color verses color had....

Whites are insane and blacks can be cranky. Other than that, nope, each chin is just an individual with his/her own special quirks.

oh my gosh... that is freaky!!

Friday is my black velvet. He is very spirited and vocal.
Hammie is a Violet and he is totally mellow but domminent
Dusty is a mosaic and he is very submissive

as for my girl Hera, she is a standard and I am not exactly sure how to describe her. she is spirited to say the least and she bites and pees on me and is scaresly affectionate

It is more lines.
I had a white line that was freakishly evil..I have another white line that is as sweet as can be.
it is not color related

Whites are insane and blacks can be cranky. Other than that, nope, each chin is just an individual with his/her own special quirks.

Your blacks are cranky because they want to come to my house.:neener:

I don't notice any personality associated with colors. Here the personalities depend on their lines really. My violet line was always the insane line that would bark at nothing and pop around the cage like their tails were on fire. My white violet female on the other hand is a total sweetheart while my white eb is one of the crankiest. My bv's are my sweetest chinchillas and biggest lovers next to my homo beige girl that likes belly rubs and kisses. My beiges range from totally loveable to "touch me and die" and my standards are pretty much all insane and cranky.

I agree that I don't think it's necessarily related to color, perhaps a line of chins though.

My black velvet is a diva and not so into people, although since she lost her friend Mei, she's become more friendly.

MuShu, my white who is from Peggy is actually really sweet and not really all that crazy. Although she's my only chin who has escaped.

All my whites are sweet...my blacks are all very cranky...my ebs are very quick to spray me lol...my standards are mostly sweet except for one very vocal and angry std female lol...I know when she has babies cause she kacks before I even have the door open fully.

Every black velvet I've owned has been incredibly docile. My whites are full of personality (in the best of ways). I've got a couple of snarky beiges though....

Insane does not equal mean. Ever watch whites at a show? They are the ones doing the back flips, exposing themselves, running around in circles in the little tiny show cages. There is an insane gene, and the whites all carry it, even if they sometimes don't display it. :)

Your blacks are cranky because they want to come to my house.

Pffft, my blacks aren't cranky. I'm just repeating what people seem to say all the time. Hands off my blacks wench!

Hmm I haven't owned a lot of chins but my ebony TOV is a wild woman. I've had 3 standards, a tan, and a beige who are or have been complete sweethearts.

my beige boy is a little sneak, he tries to get out of any situation he's in and he usually does it! he's also the "touch me and die" type, doesn't even like scritches! my standard on the other hand is the attention hog who lovesssss to be scratched and given kisses and whatever else he can get. the other standard i had was another sweetheart but she didn't like being pet that much, just like to sit with me and be where all the action was :)

It is more lines.
I had a white line that was freakishly evil..I have another white line that is as sweet as can be.
it is not color related

I agree that behavior is line related not color related. Temperament is hereditary.

All my black velvets are mellow sweet animals. My whites are equally sweet, some have unusual but nice personalities.

I agree with the white insane gene. My white pair is nuts, well mainly Riku. He likes to give momma a heart attack often. He will jump on top of their chin spin from a nearby shelf and literally run on top of the wheel. When he's done he just slides down the wheel. He's a true nut.

this is a little off topic but, does anyone else have a chin that barks and growls and makes "distress" noises as a means of communication?? my black velvet does, it is so weird. he will do it when you are holding him or if he is just sitting on you.

oh and now that I think on it yeah my mosaic does have the "insane" gene. long after Chilli died and we were introducing him to a new chin he went insane. he is fine now but wow he was a big bowl of crazy.

I agree that it is individual personality. My two whites have very different personalities. One is very sweet, easily handled (comparatively speaking), and a doll once you are settled with her, the other just is not any of those things lol.

I've had chins of every color be nuts. Typically, my standards have been the craziest. Take for example, this standard from Boone 2008:

I've noticed that beiges really vary...I had a few that were SO sweet, and then a few that were absolutely crazy. Here's a beige from Boone 2008:

But my sweetest chin ever was a white mosaic from Jags. Most of mine have been friendly, but I think the most anti-social were the ebs.

I agree with you 100% on the whites. I always call my whites the crack heads, not cuz their cranky or bad or anything.....just very energetic. They are comical to watch and at times a bit neurotic.
I've seen them throw their toys out of the way if their by the door when im talking to them.
i have one that has a thing with her litter and we play a little game with it now. i push it into her hut and she immediately shovels it back out. we've gotten to a point with it now that all i have to do is touch her litter and she comes running over to me. I've actually seen her getting all 4 legs going at one time....back legs flipping it out as her front legs scoot it to her back ones.
I agree about the blacks too.....they are a bit cranky. I think they make you work for their affection....I've had a few lines come through here and all have been the same. I do think once you've "proven" yourself to them they can be very sweet and affectionate at times but they always keep you guessing.

My violets have all been very very sweet tho. They seem so mellow and passive. very lovable. They dont mind being held (which as we all know is rare for a chin) They love being pet and will just chill while watching t.v. with me.

Standards.... if i had to classify them it would be "smart" All of them have seemed to be very smart but with different personalities. They are usually the best moms (at least mine are) and are usually the first to escape, should there be a way to escape.

I've had all sorts of all different colors. The craziest for me have been beiges, though my tans have been quite nice. My standard vary greatly for super friendly to 'don't come near me' mean. My whites vary too...I've had quite a few that were insane and constantly doing something off the wall.

this is a little off topic but, does anyone else have a chin that barks and growls and makes "distress" noises as a means of communication?

Yes...my Goliath (Ronda called him Mr Barker before I got him) is that way. He sounds pissed off all the time when I reach in the cage, but really he's just talking. He'll come right up to me and sniff and nibble my fingers. He's actually a really nice guy, but he scares most people off with his barking.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back