Color verses personality

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only generalization I can make is that Brown Velvets seem friendlier and more laid back than others. :p

And, that baby girl pink whites are crazy.

O i totally dis-agree with the brown velvets being friendlier altho i only have the one and he acts like the blacks....

I do agree that the pink whites can be a little crazy but I havent had to many of them either to make a fair judgement.....

oh god, can't you all see! All this talk about blacks and browns and whites?? It's chinny racism:laughitup::rofl:

What kind of white are you all talking about that carries this "crazy" gene? Only pink white or all whites in general?
I have a white (violet carrier) that is so chill. I can carry/hold him for the longest time & he rarely tries to jump off or escape. In the mornings, he likes to snuggle in my hoodie or in my bathrobe while I'm wearing it. But he's vocal compared to my standard. My white would bark if he thinks the room is too dark & he'd certainly bark for attention or extra scratches.

I think all TOV's carry the grouchy pants hyperactive gene. Both my black velvet and brown velvet have almost the same personalities. They kack all the time and they run like they just ate 10 lbs of sugar out of no where. One minute they'll be passed out and the next, they're doing marathons around the cage or in their wheels.

I have to agree with the statement that all whites are crazy. Smudge is, well, Smudge. Diesel will run around his cage squealing as loud as he can at night for no reason, and do flips over one of his ledges. Bostin will let me scritch him and enjoy it, then all the sudden chomp down on me and give me the stink eye like *I* did something wrong.

Bostin will let me scritch him and enjoy it, then all the sudden chomp down on me and give me the stink eye like *I* did something wrong.

This is soooo Ivory! I've been lucky to react and get my finger away before he chomps down, LOL! I don't attempt this in the evening when he's super hyper!

if mosaics are considered "whites" than i agree............of all my chins Stitch is the biggest Spaz of them all. he is a maniac...........but i love him!

I think Mosaics are, my ricky is one and he's psycho. Tho i think he's gown out of most of the stuff he used to do. My medium eb girl is non sociable, while my super dark eb is the friendliest thing you've ever met, he's also a butt head and takes advantage of you.

Now if were talking ebonies that would be a whole different story. My first chin was a ebony and i was over the moon in love with her. I probably wouldnt be a fair judge. I thought she was the cats meow and was perfect in every way (ya im a little prejudice there....hee hee) i didnt think she could do no wrong, my kids on the other hand seen things a bit differently. They thought she (and now her offspring) were "stuck up" and a bit over indulged (with love of coarse) and that they (if they were human) would walk around with their noses in the air, snubbing everyone and everything that wasn't as perfect as them....lol.....i can definately see that being a "line" thing tho or even being considered a personal preference....guided solely by my heart...."r.i.p. "chinny" old girl....i will love you forever and you shall never be forgotten...
I do have a homo eb male that would prefer me to not touch him to much but he doesnt bite me or anything so its cool. Maybe a bark here or there...mostly grumbles tho....he's not to bad

All three of my standards (both males and females) are friendlier and like to be scratched.

My black velvet is a crank pot and wants nothing to do with people

My beige loves to be connected to people from afar...meaning i can stand and talk to her and feed her hay for hours and she is happy as a clam..She also holds onto my arm with her paws wrapped around me when she is afraid..and at playtime she will climb on me to let me know she is tired out...Idk what you would call that

Whites = Minnie - likes to do the "ants in the pants dance" (arches her back, twirls in a circle.
Trousers - not the most social of creatures, but doesn't bite. She just pushes your hand away!
Beige (hetero) = Carmen - she is the sweetest of the chinnie princesses. She is also the chunkiest...
Standard = Daisy - sweet, fairly calm, tolerant
Peach - DOMINANT, but tolerant
Black Velvet = Pele - very sweet (she's like a little chinnie doll!)
Ebony = Nova - I'm not sure I can fairly give an idea of her temperament since for the first month we had her, we had to give her topical medicine that I'm sure didn't feel great, but she is definitely more vocal and less personable for the time being.

Chins seem to be like dogs - while some colors may seem to be more predisposed to certain temperaments, like different breeds of dogs, it's not fair to judge all of them based on color, just like it's not fair to judge a dog based on his breed (sorry for the simile; Chase, our pit, has been unfairly judged A TON lately, and it's making me angry!)

Whites = Minnie - likes to do the "ants in the pants dance" (arches her back, twirls in a circle.
Trousers - not the most social of creatures, but doesn't bite. She just pushes your hand away!
Beige (hetero) = Carmen - she is the sweetest of the chinnie princesses. She is also the chunkiest...
Standard = Daisy - sweet, fairly calm, tolerant
Peach - DOMINANT, but tolerant
Black Velvet = Pele - very sweet (she's like a little chinnie doll!)
Ebony = Nova - I'm not sure I can fairly give an idea of her temperament since for the first month we had her, we had to give her topical medicine that I'm sure didn't feel great, but she is definitely more vocal and less personable for the time being.

Chins seem to be like dogs - while some colors may seem to be more predisposed to certain temperaments, like different breeds of dogs, it's not fair to judge all of them based on color, just like it's not fair to judge a dog based on his breed (sorry for the simile; Chase, our pit, has been unfairly judged A TON lately, and it's making me angry!)

Well I dont think anyone is judging them or saying one is better then another just wanting to know what others thought on color verses personality.

Every chin is going to be different just as every human or as you say "dog"
I have a rottweiler so I know the "stigma" that comes with them but it didnt and wouldnt stop me from owning or buying another should i so choose.

Since we're sharing our chin personalities....

I'm biased towards whites, I admit it (that sounds so bad I know). But they have the hands down best personalities. And if it's in the line they've come from.....well we have to find the relatives of my white and breed and breed and breed cause he has the best personality ever. Definitely a bouncy guy, loves loves to play, but his favorite way to play is interacting with people. He gets real jealous if he doesn't have all the attention in the world...god forbid you're studying while he is out running around! But then he'll turn around and jump right in your lap, settle down and cuddle with you like you are queen of the universe. Best. chin. ever. Can you tell I'm in love? I've experienced chill, docile standards (and mean anti-social ones too)...one very laid back beige... A nasty violet and a bouncy happy-go-lucky white/violet. But nothing beats my white mosiac. :)

Pip (mosaic) is practically perfect in that he is sociable, friendly (except to my son and he eats babies), smart, well mannered and is well behaved too.

Zeke (recessive white) has THE sweetest personality and is very interactive, curious and is pretty well behaved except he did go through a bratty spell when I brought the two rescue boys home and he was chasing Pip around and getting in his face so I cut his whiskers and that did nothing. Time seems to have settled him back down now.

Max & Oscar (dark standards) have wonderful little personalities, well behaved and I often think if I could choose my 'easiest' chins it would be those two.

Carlos (brown velvet) is an absolute doll who is very content, doesn't much care for toys and loves to sit on my slippers and chill.Rupert (beige) is small, skittish, nervous and a bit hyper but is coming around now that he's been separated from his cage mate of two years who suddenly started to bully him. He too sits on my slippers and chills with me. I think he'll calm down even more since he's starting to trust me now. He did not have the best of life before I took him in.

Rupert (beige) is small, skittish, nervous and a bit hyper but is coming around now that he's been separated from his cage mate of two years who suddenly started to bully him. He too sits on my slippers and chills with me. I think he'll calm down even more since he's starting to trust me now. He did not have the best of life before I took him in.

Now for my CrAzY chin: Buster (dark standard) who is an absolute beast and has bitten and snarled at me for about two months now but he's getting better. He is really smart and he is an extreme wood chewer as well as loves loves all his toys and runs up and down on his shelves while playing with sticks and wooden blocks etc. He also goes through a lava dot a day and he rolls around his shelves like there's dust on there but there isn't. He's also redecorated his cage by chewing chunks of wood out of his shelves and I swear he knew exactly where those cuts should be so that he can squirm from shelf to shelf. I find him very entertaining to watch and he is finally settling in and isn't as crabby as he was and is actually starting to enjoy being here. He didn't have the best life either before I took him either, poor guy.

Those are my fur kids. =)

Back