anyone purchase hay online recently?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicki

Soon I'll be needing to buy hay. I've purchased from Kleenemama's & APD in the past.
Has anyone recently purchased hay? I'd like to know how the quality was.

I've bought from Kleemama's before and my chins were none too impressed. I have been buying from APD but shipping is a killer! I'm looking into buying from www.bunnybale.com . You can get a free sample from them, just pay shipping. That's what I did..I'm waiting on the sample to get here. If the boys like it, I'm going to order some from them. Shipping is way less expensive and they have some pretty decent prices.

Kind of a deviation from topic, but I'm looking at purchasing hay online too, and was wondering if any of the companies youall have tried have different cuts available? I feed out of a dish currently, and my boys prefer the grab-n-scatter method. I'd really like to find a finer cut where less gets thrown around when one piece is grabbed. :D

I recently bought a 40 .oz bag ofOx-bow from Alli713 it was super fresh and smelled great!

alli, I thought Oxbow wasn't taking orders anymore?

And my local pet stores bags of Oxbow have been of deteriorating quality recently, so I decided to order from Drs. Foster & Smith. I got a 40oz of both Orchard Grass and Western Timothy, plus a 15oz of Botanical for a treat. I got the box quickly, and the hay looks great. The Orchard Grass has some brown and paler green, but the timmy's super. I'm quite pleased.

I've ordered from both APD and Kleenmama's before, but APD is in Nevada and KMS is in Washington.. Rather high shipping to get it here to the east coast, though it's been a while so perhaps prices have gone down. I stopped ordering from KMS because the quality decreased, but again, it's probably been year or so now since I ordered from them last.

And EnslavedByNinjas, I know APD has 1st and 2nd cut (High Fiber and Timothy Gold, respectively), and KMS has just about every cut.

Last edited:
I've ordered from Kleenmama's 3x. The first 2 times the hay was excellent. The last time it wasn't so great. A lot of waste. I think at that time due to weather a lot of places were having less than great hay.
APD shipping killed me for the small amount I would get plus I no longer use their food.
I will look into Oxbow and Bunnybale.

If you are concerned about the quality, if you have a petsmart nearby they carry Oxbow hay so you can see it before you buy. It's much cheaper to buy a big bale from the feed store, I got one for $7 and it has lasted me months but for one chin I don't know you'd want all that hay around.

Soon I'll be needing to buy hay. I've purchased from Kleenemama's & APD in the past.
Has anyone recently purchased hay? I'd like to know how the quality was.

I buy from APD, but the shipping is RIDICULOUS. Still though, I'd order from APD before Kleenemama's. I ordered 2nd cut timmy from there a long time ago & it's still sitting in my basement.. They won't touch it.

I recently bought some hay from Kleenmama's and wasn't too pleased with it. I have to believe that it's due to the weather, as I've bought hay from her in the past that was great.

I agree with the killer shipping from APD.
I recently started using hay cubes for the most part and giving less loose so I could order a smaller supply but I still hate to see my order amount double (or more) when I get to the shipping.
I got local hay once and the chins took to it okay but there was SO much waste... I might give it another shot.

I've bought from Kleemama's before and my chins were none too impressed. I have been buying from APD but shipping is a killer! I'm looking into buying from www.bunnybale.com . You can get a free sample from them, just pay shipping. That's what I did..I'm waiting on the sample to get here. If the boys like it, I'm going to order some from them. Shipping is way less expensive and they have some pretty decent prices.

I ordered from Bunny Bale when I had my guinea pigs. His loose stuff was always really great. Don't purchase the mini bales, though - they are much lower quality. I'm not sure how his hay is right now but I am holding up til after first cutting to order again.

This is a pic of the hay I ordered a couple years ago.

101_0434.jpg

I just got in from Oxbow a 50 lb box of loose and 50 lb box of cubed hay - called 'em up and told 'em what I wanted. They shipped it directly to me...yes, it did cost a bit to ship it here, but they did it and it's OHHHH so green and smells OHHHH so fresh! The chinnies LOVE it!

I'll take and post some pics of it in a few minutes...

dcdadc26.jpg
b6768063.jpg
74da9ea9.jpg
7b3e6773.jpg
6e5009c7.jpg

ACK - flash washed 'em out...I promise you, this hay is VERY GREEN!!

Oh - and wanted to add as well, that even though I paid for 50# I actually got 59# of loose and 54# of cubes...so as far as I'm concerned, it's well worth it to order direct!

In defense of Kleenmama's, her mixed bluegrass and alfalfa is gorgeous and all 3 of my boys love it!!!

I used to get my hay from a fellow chin-owner in Denver who ordered from KM, but has now gone to cubes, so I've been trying the big bags of timothy for Oxbow which is now available at Petsmart. So far, the quality has been pretty good...

I ordered from Bunny Bale when I had my guinea pigs. His loose stuff was always really great. Don't purchase the mini bales, though - they are much lower quality. I'm not sure how his hay is right now but I am holding up til after first cutting to order again.

This is a pic of the hay I ordered a couple years ago.

Oooh that hay looks yummy! I forgot to look...does bunny bale not have separate orders for 1st & 2nd cut? If not, when does 2nd cut season come around?? My boys hate 1st cut, and if that's what they'll send me, I'll have to get something else.

Back