Yes, there is atill honest people on this world

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FiaSpice

Wheel Cleaner X2
This morning, when I arrived at the metro station, I just realised my Opus card (a chip card with my 109$ monthly fair loaded in it and 15$ worth of "tickets") was missing from my purse. I remembered the last time I used it and it was yesterday in the bus, I must have lost it there. I was so pissed off and had to withdrawl money for a ATM that's not from my bank (more fees) to pay the fair in cash.

I came of to work pissed off and since I had a little time before starting, I went on to update my Facebook status saying how pissed I was. Then, I saw a message. I checked and some weird guy with a locked profile was saying to me that I sould send him a message if I lost my Opus card. I was like for what "as if it's gonna bring it back". I had my name and my old phone number on it, but I figured no one would bother since the phone is not working. But I was wrong, this guy registrated to Facebook and contacted all 4 girl sharing my name. He had my card and try to look for me in any way he could.

So I told him I wanted to meet him to get my card and guess what? He was working near the Square-Victoria station... just where I work too. I could arrenge a meeting on my lunchtime. I thank him a lot to have been honest and give trouble to find me. I still can believe we lived close to each other and worked at almost the same place too.

It's nice to see not everyone is greedy (like the IT guy who said he would have kept it:banghead:)

Good for you! It still happens, my husband is one of them. If he finds a wallet or anything he might paw through it... but leaves it all intact and usually tries to find the person or drops it at the customer service if it's at a store. Me.. I never seem to find anything useful! Usually just non-winning lottery tickets!

Had that happen last month at my store: a nurse waiting in line to pick up her medicine found 7 $100 bills on the floor. Turns out they belonged to one of our regulars, who had just gotten to the bank with his government benefits check before it closed and couldn't go to the other bank to deposit the money until the next morning. So glad you got the benefit of a well-brought up person too.

wow that's pretty remarkable. Glad you got your money back :)

Yeah, it really made my day. Specially since money is quite an issue for me now, it's good to see it back.

My son's dune buggy blew a CV joint on the right front axle. We don't have a cell phone but this nice man hooked him up to a tow rope on his truck and slowly brought him home going down some old dirt roads. Took him about 25 minutes going 10 mph. How nice is that?

This one brought me to tears. It is a long story, but still makes me shiver at the kindness of strangers.
Last year, we were making the annual drive home from the holidays with my family in Oregon. It was winter and very cold. We stopped to eat when we were splitting from the I-5 and then we got back on the road with me driving. Now, I rarely drive hubby's car, but he said the air bag light had been going on and off and not to worry about it. Well, then a different light blinked on and then off. And then I noticed that I was losing electrical power and the headlights are getting dimmer. I quickly pull off the road at this exit and as I make it about a block down the exit road, the car completely dies. We didn't even know where we were. We knew where the last town we had passed was and what was coming up, but had no idea how far we were from either. So there we are and a car pulls up, sees hubby with his flashlight looking under the hood. Nice young couple stops and the guy helps hubby talk through what might be wrong. He thinks the battery cable may be loose and he says he will go home and get tools. So we wait for about 20 minutes and they came back. They jump the car and right as they are about to pull off, our car dies again. Nothing for it, call the tow truck. They not only wait with us, the girl drives me in to the next town so I can use the restroom at Chevron and get everyone hot chocolate- it is about 35F outside at this point.
At this point, the story could have had a happy ending, but nooo, tow truck said $250 to tow to next town. Well, suddenly there is a third guy with the tow truck guys, and we realize that we were parked in front of a house- yes, it was that dark out there, lol. This very nice man helps hubby push the car in to his driveway and then takes us into the town we had passed to see if there is room at the only B&B in town. Nope. So then, he says, well, the best thing is for you guys to take the truck into the next town and find a motel and come back in the morning to fix it. I have all the tools and if not, I can get them. This man handed us the keys to his truck and told us to go find a place and get some rest.
In the morning we went to the auto parts store, and bought a new alternator which was the decision reached after it died following the jump. We drove back to the guy's house and they worked and worked to get it off and still could not. Well, the guy from the young couple, who knows a bit about Hondas, had given us his number and said if we needed anything else to call. So we called him and he came to help too. It took some time, but the three of them got the part replaced and we were on our way home. We are planning to stop at the guy's house this year on our way up with a basket of Monterey wines and something else- maybe some Omaha Steaks.
So yes, kindness that truly makes a difference in someone's life does still exist. I continue to be amazed that they would go to such lengths to help us. Otherwise, we would have been out like $500 instead of $170. Plus we would have been frozen to death out there. It was still in the low 30s in the morning while they were working.

It's nice to see people like this still exist.

I remember someone sharing a story when CnQ was still up about how she was checking out at a pet store with a $50 food bill, and her card wouldn't go through, so the lady behind her(a total stranger) paid it for her...

It's nice to see people like this still exist.

I remember someone sharing a story when CnQ was still up about how she was checking out at a pet store with a $50 food bill, and her card wouldn't go through, so the lady behind her(a total stranger) paid it for her...

Yes. That was me. Unbelievably kind. I told her no, it was about $58 worth of pet supplies, not just $5 and she said you must need it if you were going to buy it and she pulled out her card and paid for it. I sent her a Visa gift card in the amount of $75 when I could afford it. I am amazed at people's kindness and try to 'pay it forward' whenever I can.

Thanks, Carol! I couldn't remember the full story and who it was, just that it was a large bill someone footed.

Where are these nice people? LOL I live in a state full of liars and scumbags (not everyone is one of these, you know what I mean...just a few bad apples...)

Haha, I know, where are these nice people? Canadians seem to be so much nicer, and Floridians are terrible!

What a wonderful story! Living rural I've had a lot of experiences like that that, I also help people when I can. I refuse to give money but I will help with labor and towing. I get three free 100-mile tows a year on my AAA card, I've pulled over and called them on my card for people. So long as you are there to sign when they show up they'll tow any vehicle.

An AAA card is only $42 a year, IMO totally worth it if you own a herd of old clunkers like I did. I used to loan the Caddy out to people all the time, I liked to think I was 'broadening one's driving experience'. :D

Ironically, nobody ever asked to borrow it a second time.

Last edited:
We now have the AAA plus membership. The one we had only covered 5 miles and it was about 20 miles into the next town. We always stop when we can. My husband even went accross the street in January to help try to save a person that was shot. The young man ended up passing that night, but he at least tried to stop the bleeding.

Glad there's still good people out there.

My dad's friend was telling me about this lady he helped the other day.
He passed a car on the side of the road that was just sitting there and the lady was outside the car walking around holding her phone in the air like she was trying to get service. He turned around and went back to her. He let her use his phone, (She was out of state and her phone didn't work). She couldn't get a hold of anyone and was getting mad about it. So he ask her what the problem was, that he might be able to help her.
She explained to him that the car just stopped running. He asked it if was out of gas, and she told him no. He assumed she knew what she was talking about so he started looking under the hood and stuff, had her to try and start it. Couldn't find anything wrong and he's a mechanic. So he ask her again if she's sure its not out of gas. She told him yes. He ask her when she last put gas in it and about how many miles to the gallon does she get. She got crabby with him and told him she knew there was gas in because their was a little light with a gas pump showing up that told her she had gas. So he told her he'd be right back. He went somewhere and bought her $20 worth of gas and took it back and put it in her car. He told her to start it up and it started. Then he explained to her that when the light showing the gas pump came on that meant she needed gas.
Dispute him helping her out and being late for work, the lady got in her car and drove off. Never thanks him for helping her, didn't think him for the gas that he paid for, nothing. Just drove off.

BooBoo, I'm sorry, but that story's hilarious. At least, in regards to the woman. It's amazing how idiotic people can be these days. It was very nice of your dad though!

Chilli, that's an amazing story.

I remember when I lived in Montreal... I was shoveling like a crazy girl in front of the garage (not suposed to be my job, I paid for that) and I was late and I'm not in super shape to shovel. Well 2 neigbours were outside, done shoveling, leaning on their shovel, looking at me, all red and exhausted. That's when I missed my hometown when all the neigbours would give a hand to everyone.

Chinniechantel: well, aparently, in the summer there a lot of Canadian over there. I hope it makes Florida "nicer" (I know many Quebecquer that comes there aren't... well... the most cultivated and classy people of the bunch).

BooBoo, wow that woman isn't really bright at all, and not even thanking him is just plain rude. I always make a point to say thanks, even if a person just hold a door for me.

Back