Yay! My big Bv is in labor...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ultrasound gives a more complete picture since its "live action" when you are dealing with serious gut issues, just for future reference. Chins do not need to be shaved for it like some people think, just slicked down with warm water does the trick.

She's already shaved from the spay so that didn't even cross my mind ;) Poor girl is a hot mess with a shaved belly and a crusty face from wayward meds and cc.

Ultrasound gives a more complete picture since its "live action" when you are dealing with serious gut issues, just for future reference. Chins do not need to be shaved for it like some people think, just slicked down with warm water does the trick.

Rubbing alcohol is also a good conductor for ultrasound and will dry faster.

Best of luck with this girl!

sending positive thoughts for Sage and you, Miss Christine - hope she gets her freak on and busts a poop! (go girl - it's ya birfday - go girl - start poopin'... you know the song...)

He did offer to show me how to do the subq but frankly needles and me don't get along too well, although I will probably ask next time because it was $47 for one! I do hear quite a bit of sounds, especially after she gets the reglan and so did the vet, so maybe what we are doing is working. slowly. so slowly. I wish there was a magic shot that would just fix it!

I hate needles too, but it's really not too bad. If you don't have a medical background I'd really recommend having someone help you hold her. I tried several times, but wasn't able to do it all myself. Lady wasn't nearly as bad as Sage, but getting Sub-q's twice a day really did help. My vet only taught me how to do it in the shoulder. Stacie walked me through giving injections in the hips as well. I was able to rotate injection sites which was easier on Lady.

It's not looking good. She's laying on her side a lot. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't make the weekend. Im just going to make her comfortable as I can. :( very sad about this one.

Still hoping and praying for you both and knowing that you will not let her suffer while there is still hope.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. She died and we just buried her under the cedar tree in our yard. I am really upset and beating myself up over everything. I really hoped this would have a good outcome, but I told God last night to make her better or take her and I guess he made his decision. :(

Back