Yay! My big Bv is in labor...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VolunteerChin22

I <3 dustbunnies
Been watching her like a hawk and she's finally in labor...noticed her having contractions about 9:40 so I am hoping she will have the first soon...she's not a first time mom by any means but I still get worried...shes all out of shoots lines and bred to a nice standard out of a GSC so hoping for some nice bvs or a dark standard...she's a real slow producer so this will be her first litter since 10/09, ironically...come to think of it she had one the weekend of halloween that year because I named him a Halloween name. Odd!

C'mon Sage!

Last edited:
Now you got me nervous, cant wait to see pics of the cuties! Sounds like mama is a beautiful girl, best of luck! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you all during the labor process and best wishes for a safe and healthy delivery! Can't wait to see pics!

Still needing good thoughts, no kits yet. I took her into the vet first thing this morning and she got a shot of calcium and oxytocin. He said nothing is stuck and likely either really big baby or it's breech. I thought I felt a tail when I checked her so hoping s/he gets turned around and gets here in the next couple of hours. One more shot of oxytocin in a couple of hours if that doesn't help and then a csection if that doesnt work. Gah I really hope she gets her/him out with this first dose and is ok...Bright side, he told me he would do the csection for half of what he charges for dogs so that's good news.

Happy thoughts needed!! Sage seems to be fine right now, alert and active, so hoping for the best.

Hadn't seen this when I posted on FB. Glad you went to the vet, poor girl. I hope it's resolved soon. This is why I don't post pregnancy/labor threads. =/

she's getting a csection/spay as we speak. she hadn't delivered and it was just going on too long. the vet got a good feel of the kit and it sounds really large. will keep you updated.

Just talked to the vet and Sage is fine so far out of the surgery - the kit had been dead likely for days, and was starting to mumify and there were signs of infection starting. She got a full spay which was the best decision to keep the infection down. I will probably post a picture of the fetus, I told them I wanted to see it.

She's not totally out of the woods since she needs to heal but I think this was a good outcome so Ill take it. Anyday you come home from the vet with a pet is a good day - when I got there a poor couple had just put their dog down and she was sobbing so loudly it made me tear up.

I was just thinking yesterday on the way home this year had been largely uneventful, especially with births - not to say im psychic but dang if something doesn't happen everytime I have a thought like that. Just going to keep my thoughts in check from now on!

In thinking about her future, she's almost 9 and likely would have been retired soon, now that she's spayed I might see if she and my pet male (my first chin ever) can get along. That way they can both have companionship. He's a spoiled rotten kid living in a three story cage all by himself.

Latest posts

Back