where to get timothy hay cubes?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cremellomare

Is there any places that sell them in bulk? Or brands to ask for in the feed store? I'm in Michigan if that helps any. Guess I'm just looking for a cheaper way to do the cubes, plus I figure I can feed them to my horse as well. Thanks!

I would call different feed stores. I purchased hay at one feed store then asked about timothy hay cubes and they only had alfalfa. On my way home I dropped by another feed store and they had timothy cubes 50 lb bags for $16.95.

I have seen them in bulk at Pet Supplies Plus. But check them over before buying them....found bugs once. But just once.

TSC had alfalfa/timothy cubes, but not timothy. There are two other feed stores here so I will have to call them and see. Just was wondering if brands would be better to ask for. I might see if someone can get a bag from Oxbox since they have 50 lbs bags.

Not many companies make timothy-only cubes because timothy does not bind together very well and tends to fall apart (it is such a fibrous, grassy hay). Most companies will use a small amount of alfalfa to help bind the timothy hay together into a cube. The cubes I get are milled by a company called Associated Feed... and if I recall correctly, they are 70% timothy hay and 30% alfalfa.

I found this supplier.They have retailers in Michigan. You might want to peek at their site/products.

Timothy Grass Cubes

The Standlee Hay Company provides quality premium products, produced from Idaho grown “Noxious Weed Free” timothy grass hay forages. These forages are grown to specific maturity. Our harvesting and storage techniques provide assurance in producing products that are highly palatable with good nutritional value. Standlee Hay Company Timothy Grass Hay Cubes are produced from rich timothy grass hay forages that are easy to digest. These specialty cubes are for horses and animals requiring maintenance to less active levels of energy requirements. These cubes can also be used as a supplement to stem hay and should be fed by weight, not volume. Animals vary in daily nutritional needs. Seniors, animals with dental issues and animals which eat too rapidly that are prone to choking can be these cubes that have been sprinkled with water. Recommended feeding amounts are 1% to 2% of body weight fed daily, again depending on nutritional needs of the animal. Make sure plenty of clean water is available, daily. The timothy grass hay cube bags can be stored easily and are convenient for traveling.

Crude Protein x Not Less Than 8%
Crude Fat Not Less Than 1.2%
Crude Fiber Not More Than 32%
Moisture Not More Than 12%
Ingredients: Sun Cured Timothy Grass Hay Forages and Natural Bentonite

Standlee Quality Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with the quality of this product, return it within 30 days of purchase with proof of purchase for a replacement or refund.

826 South 1700 East
Eden, Idaho 83325
208-825-5117 Office
800-398-0819 Toll Free
208- 825-5119 FAX
[email protected]

:thumbsup:

I had been to TSC and they had timothy cubes, but then found out they only had them because they lady who had ordered them for her horse, ended up not wanting them and they had them for a year. How long should you use something like that?

I use the Standlee timothy cubes.Excellent product!Buying in bulk is more cost effective.Also Standlee does stand behind their product.I have also heard from Standlee that they sell hay to Oxbow,so it must be good quality hay.Call standlee and they can give you names of stores that carry their product in your area.
Bob

I also use Standlee hay company... they are amazing.. everything always smells and looks fresh... i was going to write that too..but someone beat me.. JUST BARELY :D
i feed their timothy hay pellets and cubes... and i used to feed the small baled hay

Ooh ooh ooh! I'm so glad I found this thread! I've got the Standlee cubed hay (from my chins former owner) as well, and had no idea if it was a good quality. That's a relief! :cool:

One question though....I've found in what looks to be blue or pink thread in some of the cubes....anybody know what this is and if it's safe for the chins? So far I've been throwing the cubes with those away.

I love, love, love Standlee Timothy/Alfalfa cubes. It's what we use here (as well as loose). They smell amazing and the chins absolutely love them. I give 1-2 to each chin daily and by the end of the day all that's left is some hay dust in the bottom of the cage. I have yet to find a chinchilla that didn't love them.

I love, love, love Standlee Timothy/Alfalfa cubes. It's what we use here (as well as loose). They smell amazing and the chins absolutely love them. I give 1-2 to each chin daily and by the end of the day all that's left is some hay dust in the bottom of the cage. I have yet to find a chinchilla that didn't love them.

Awwwwesome! :thumbsup:

I may have to try these Standlee cubes. We have hay cubes here, but hardly any of our chins touch them. A few nibbles and that's it... I would much prefer if they would EAT their hay cubes. I may have to grab a bag next time I go to tractor supply.

I may have to try these Standlee cubes. We have hay cubes here, but hardly any of our chins touch them. A few nibbles and that's it... I would much prefer if they would EAT their hay cubes. I may have to grab a bag next time I go to tractor supply.

I've only had my chins about a week, so I've not gotten them started on any loose hay yet. But so far they love the cubes, and eat them until there's nothing left but dust.

Do you have a Tractor Supply near you? That's the only place around me that I've found that carries them. They are in a bright red bag.

Essentia, do you happen to know what the blue/colored thread that runs through some of the cubes are, and if they're ok for chins to eat?

I've never seen any of the thread in mine. It may have been a single piece that somehow got into the press so it may only be in the bag that your breeder had. I wouldn't feed them. Thread can cause an impaction, which is serious. It's not worth the risk.

Essentia, do you happen to know what the blue/colored thread that runs through some of the cubes are, and if they're ok for chins to eat?
It's probably not thread but bailing twine.

Back