where to buy small show cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frisky860

Chrisy
Hey guess, I tried searching for this and really couldn't find anything. But I would like to try the cage in a cage method for intos with my chins as one is more dominant than the other. Where can I get a small show cage? Do you think any pet store would carry them or maybe a farm and fleet type thing? Otherwise I live in Aurora, IL right now but I'm going home to my parents house this weekend which is like a half hour north of Rockford. If anyone knows the area and knows of any places I can buy/borrow one. Let me know. Thanks! :dance3:

Hmm, is there anything similar to a show cage that I can use? I was thinking a small metal crate that people use for storage. Just put it on top of him kinda thing. Only thing is, it won't have a bottom, so i'd have to make sure they don't tip it over and he gets out and I think the holes are too big. I'd have to cover it with smaller wire/mesh so he doesn't escape that way either!

Wire hamster cages might work well no? Just take out all the inside. I know Petco sells a hamster kit/cage for under $20.

Okay, really...by the time you WASTE all the time and money on constructing a "cage," you could have already bought a proper one from the aforementioned places. Show cages are NOT expensive, they're suitable for chins (whereas hamster cages are not appropriate at all - long open bars on sides do not go well with critters that like to wall surf, etc). Stop avoiding the inevitable and buy a show cage, 'eh?

I have to agree with Amanda. It's not like it's difficult to get a show cage. Just contact any of those three ranchers mentioned and they can have it shipped to a location of your choice by Monday I'm sure. Also...there shouldn't be a rush for introductions so waiting a little bit longer to get the cage shouldn't be a problem. If you are rushing the introductions for some reason then you shouldn't be attempting to intro at all or you'll end up with a dead/hurt chin.

Ryerson's sell them for 5.00 I believe. they work great for intros that is what I use here. I have like 7 show cages here just for that (and evaluating/pairing) I have tried the smaller wire carriers with the plastic bottom but they get pushed apart. It is worth waiting to do it right. I also have an intro cage....but somebody (Laurie lol) borrowed it and still hasn't given it back.

Okay, really...by the time you WASTE all the time and money on constructing a "cage," you could have already bought a proper one from the aforementioned places. Show cages are NOT expensive, they're suitable for chins (whereas hamster cages are not appropriate at all - long open bars on sides do not go well with critters that like to wall surf, etc). Stop avoiding the inevitable and buy a show cage, 'eh?

Chins wouldn't have room to wall surf in a small show cage anyway, so that shouldn't matter as much except for the bigger openings for bitting or getting caught it. But I'm not trying to waste time or money. I'm trying to save money. The $6.00+ is a very reasonable price for a cage and I have no problem paying for that, its just the extra $13 for shipping costs that seems too much for me. IMO

I have to agree with Amanda. It's not like it's difficult to get a show cage. Just contact any of those three ranchers mentioned and they can have it shipped to a location of your choice by Monday I'm sure. Also...there shouldn't be a rush for introductions so waiting a little bit longer to get the cage shouldn't be a problem. If you are rushing the introductions for some reason then you shouldn't be attempting to intro at all or you'll end up with a dead/hurt chin.

Who said anything about rushing into this introduction?!?! I have no problem with waiting to find a cage and I am NOT trying to rush into this. That's the last thing I want to do with all the horror stories I have read about. I don't believe I mentioned doing that at all, so I'm not sure where you got that impression.

But I found a small cage at my boyfriend's grandma's house that is darn near identical to the show cages. She has a farm with alot of old equipment/tools/animal cages/etc on it so I figured I could easily find something there. It has small wire spacing that is no bigger than an 1/4in by 1/4in. If for some reason this does not work, then I will go the route of ryersons show cages.

Thanks for all the imput/suggestions.

You can also pick one up if you ever attend a show or seminar. I will also be meeting Rich and Jan in July and can pick it up if you are worried about shipping. I am only an hour and half away from you

$13 is still not a bad price and shouldn't break the bank. It's not like the show cage will only ever be good this one time and is a toss away item. They are very useful to temporarily hold your chins during cage cleaning or even as travel cage. It's better than paying any amount of money for something that COULD work. It's also been proven by many other people to be effective...using something else may not give the same results and could have disastrous consequences.

Please don't get defensive. The way you have worded your posts in this thread you seem anxious to find a cage ASAP so you can start introductions soon. That's the way it came across to me and from looking at the responses...a couple other people as well. You were asking about a cage just yesterday...but today you've already found something that "might" work. That seems slightly rushed to me.

Thanks Kristy, I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the cage I already got.

Tabitha, I'm not trying to be defensive or rush into anything like previously stated. I'm sorry you took it that way. And I have already started my intro, that's why I'm asking about the cage for a different approach because I feel it would work better than what I am doing right now.

Latest posts

Back