Where/How do you store...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
In preparation for my chin I have made a bunch of fleece items and purchased numerous supplies (toys, wood, etc.)

I am a little bit of a neat freak in that I like things to be neatly organized and easy to get to. I'm wondering how/where everyone stores their extra supplies. I am thinking of maybe getting some of those plastic storage drawers. I also saw these neat cube shelves that you can put cloth cube/drawer things in to.

i have plastic drawer units that i purchased from target a while back for my socks and underwear. it came with 5 separate drawer units, so i just cleared out two for all of rutherford's stuff. the things i do for him! it works well. one drawer for chew toys, wooden items, and wood chews, another drawer for fleece items.

I also have plastic storage drawers and a couple plastic boxes. One for food, one for treats and toys, one for sand. I also have their cleaning supplies in a box and their hay in another :D

I bought a large storage wall unit from IKEA that fits the cloth colored boxes with covers on them and store all their junk in there.

so far my supplies (except hay, shavings and dust) fit in one large and deep desk drawer. not for much longer though, lol. i'm looking into one of those plastic drawer units to hold supplies, but if i don't find a good quality one (too many are just cruddy construction/cheap materials), then i'll just use a rubbermaid bin i already have kicking around.

my other thought was to get a lateral filing cabinet (the low ones with two wide drawers), and use that as a cage stand/storage unit, since the superpet cage i have will be used for another chin i'm getting in a month or two, and the footprint of the cage is just right for going on one of those file cabinets. top drawer for pellets, treats, fleece items, etc. bottom drawer for dust, shavings, hay.

Last edited:
just watch how you store the wood. if stored in plastic bags or plastic containers sometimes moisture can build up and cause molding.

i store all my extras in a closet or in plastic bins under my cages. my hay is either in a cardboard box OR in a plastic container with the lid open.

all my wood gets stored in cardboard boxes with the tops cut off. I lost a whole batch of apple wood once becase I put it in a zip lock back. After scrubbing, boiling and baking them myself I was very upset. learned my lesson!

Dawn (Ticklechin) had a cool laundry basket with 3 separate compartments that might interest you. maybe she can post a pic or link to a thread where they were displayed.

I have a chest next to their cage that I store all of their things in. I have quite a stock of twigs built up so they are in open paper bags (the sturdy ones with handles that you get like at Starbucks) and then I have wire baskets for seasonal toys, backup bottles, and jars of treats. Then I also have this next to it that I store their hay, dust, and fleece in.

supplies are in plastic drawers and dust, food, etc are in air tight containers that stack making it neater and leaving more room

all my wood gets stored in cardboard boxes with the tops cut off. I lost a whole batch of apple wood once becase I put it in a zip lock back. After scrubbing, boiling and baking them myself I was very upset. learned my lesson!

I learned this lesson the hardware too and was totally PO'd! Lots of work down the drain. :(

Oh man...I struggle with this concept so much! I have tons of stuff for the girls...I have all of their fleece lienrs/hammocks/liners on top of the cage, food, treats, hay, and shavings in containers under the cage, and all of the toys under my bed. I need a bigger room! Or...better yet...a chin room :)

I have a chin room, but an extra one for all their stuff would be nice, along with a place for the chop saw, drill press, scroll saw.... Yes I can dream! lol

I used to have everything in plastic tubs. Two stacks of them with hay and wood in some without lids. I have a kitty litter bucket for pellets. However I finally got to the point where I had so much stuff I had to have a chin room built. Its not huge( 6' by 16' I believe) but now I have tons of shelveing on the walls and boxes under cages.

oh, forgot to mention, Rhino's hay gets stored in one of those nylon fabric shopping bags (the re-usable type) and i fluff it up when it goes in that bag so that it doesn't compress/mold, even though the humidity in my place is never over 40%.

I have a chin room, but I also have a closet in the hall dedicated just to chinchilla supplies. It used to be organized, but now it is quite messy and things are just thrown around.

Eventually the chins will be outside in their own shed. I am toying with getting a smaller shed to put next to theirs with supplies in it, or just keeping it in the basement (chins will be just off the basement outside).

I have a lot of supplies around. And my try at being "neat" seems to never work. :wacko: I break down a bale of hay and put it in GIANT plasit tubs lined with black plastic to keep any sunlight breaking it down. Yes I was foolish enough not to buy a colored one hee hee. It's clear. All the feed and hay are stored in the chin room. The lid to the hay lightly sits on it to let it "breathe".

I keep my wood in paper bags to ward off any type of moisture. I also have several DAMP RID containers in the chin room placed safely away to absorb any excess moisture my home doesn't rid itself of.

Most of our stuff is in those plastic storage drawers... (see picture) the set of four that is on top of the table is where most of our wood stuff is. It's not obvious from the picture, but those drawers let a lot of air in, so we've never had a problem with air flow to the wood. Before we had those two sets of drawers on the left, everything was a disaster. Looks much better now, and everything has its place.

supply_area.JPG

just watch how you store the wood. if stored in plastic bags or plastic containers sometimes moisture can build up and cause molding.

i store all my extras in a closet or in plastic bins under my cages. my hay is either in a cardboard box OR in a plastic container with the lid open.

Dawn (Ticklechin) had a cool laundry basket with 3 separate compartments that might interest you. maybe she can post a pic or link to a thread where they were displayed.

Ronda told me that you can use the moisture absorbing packets. So I bought some off of ebay. They are supposed to be reusable too.

I was looking at something like this for hay http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Home-Mesh-Laundry-Hamper/dp/B002G0Y17A I have not bought hay yet and have no idea how long it keeps or how much to buy, but I didn't want to get that or food until I know when/where I will be getting a Chin.
I learned this lesson the hardware too and was totally PO'd! Lots of work down the drain. :(

The mesh bags work, but the coarser pieces of hay tend to rip the bags pretty easily. I would recommend contacting Menagerie on the forum. She sells hay bags that are absolutely awesome.

I keep everything I use frequently in a set of drawers beside the cage and stuff I don't use as frequently (old wheel, hardware, etc.) in a plastic set of drawers in the closet.

Because I keep my chin in my room I ended up cleaning out one of the three drawers in my dresser and began storing food/treats/hay/paper towels/cage cleaner there. Probably one of my better ideas LOL

Latest posts

Back