What's in it for you? ECBC suggestions wanted.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I was wondering for people who are NOT members of Empress ( or MCBA for that matter if it is more prevalent in your area), why haven't you joined? Lack of information about it? Unsure if you're "qualified"? Not a breeder? Other things?

What kind of things would make you want to join? Pet class at a show? More educational information? If so in what form ( seminars, written, etc)?

Please let it all out! Let me know what needs to be in it for you to join, or why you haven't!

Pretty much everyone in CA is ECBC. There is no active MCBA in CA... just a pet/rescue group who doesn't hold shows. I suppose they are CA's MCBA Chapter. With our ECBC group holding 3 shows a year, we are all very active within our State's ECBC Group.

I have been to an MCBA show up in Washington, hosted by the West Coast Chapter. It was quite a drive but there was a lot of participation from breeders in many states (WA, ID, OR, and CA were all represented, I believe).
I never joined MCBA just because it is not prevalent here... also, after becoming used to the ECBC show system, I prefer ECBC to the way MCBA divides up all the classes. For example, it was odd for me to see whites divided up into age groups, sexes, and then predominantly white, mosaic, silver, pink whites, etc. wheres I'm used to either male/female dark-eared white or pink-eared white. It was a little confusing for me, an MCBA newbie, and I imagine it's harder for the judge when he has only one or two animals in each class.

My only issue is that there is just not a chapter close to me. I just applied to join MCBA, but even though their are chapters that are somewhat close, they are not active from what I hear. I would really love for there to be a chapter near to me formed(St. Louis chapter maybe?). I am near St. Louis, MO, in South Central, IL.

I haven't joined either yet because I'm new to chinchillas. I have my membership papers all ready to go for MCBA and have been to an MCBA show. I just have to send them in with the fee. I am going to my first ECBC show this weekend and will see what it's like and decide if I want to join.
I didn't think I needed to join at first because I'm far away from breeding, and I thought you just had to be a breeder to join. Now I know different. I want to be involved and learn learn learn!! So, I'll be joining!

I didn't think I needed to join at first because I'm far away from breeding, and I thought you just had to be a breeder to join. Now I know different. I want to be involved and learn learn learn!! So, I'll be joining!

That's exactly what I thought. Until the day I was asked why I didn't join and I said that I didn't think I could. They told me they are always happy to have new members. As a pet owner, not a breeder, my dues are only $45 per year, and that's worth it to me, getting the Breeder magazine every month and just to be able to go to all the shows and events and meet and hang with the experienced, long-time ranchers. I always say that chin folk are the best, and it's true!!!

You will not find a nicer, more willing to help/educate/mentor new people group than chinchilla ranchers!!!

You can show your pet chinchillas at a Field Day, just to get the Judges' comments. C'mon -- you know you want to be a "Pageant Mom"!!! I know I did. I showed both Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler just for the experience. The Snuggler got a second place. Mr. Whiskers got only a third, but my favorite judge's comment was that he had good clarity and good fur -- he just needed more of it!!! (He is on the smaller side :) )

Shows are exciting, but they are even more fun when you have a chin on the table!!!

So, don't be shy -- just ask any ECBC member for help if you need it in getting the application. You can always join the day of a show AND save money on your entry fee!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good to know guys, keep the comments coming!

I also want to put out there that if there is not a active group in your area you can contact ECBC or MCBA and they will help put you in touch with others in your area that are members, if enough get together you could all work together to help revive that chapter!

Don't be afraid to say what you're thinking, if the current members don't know why newer members don't want to join we can't help change!

As many of you already know, there has been a lot of long time ranchers get out of raising chinchillas in the last couple years. The Bradfords, Shoots, Ellis Adcock(Dark Star) my father Dick Miller, Vin Somavia, and many others. These people are icons of the chinchilla industry and their accomplishments with chinchillas will be very, very difficult to ever duplicate. The ECBC and MCBA organizations are both going to be greatly affected by the loss of these great ranchers as well as all the others not mentioned. In order for these organizations to continue to survive they're going to need new membership and increased number of animals at the shows. The organizations are both going to have to make changes and look at some new proposals to promote interest and bring in new members. They're used to be chapters in every state with many states having multiple chapters. Over the last 40 years the number of members have declined and chapters had to join together with others or fold all together. These organizations are open to everyone that has a passion for chinchillas. You dont have to breed for show quality chins. There is seminars given every year at the annual meeting on many different aspects of raising chinchillas. There are pet derby's at many shows where you bring your pet chin and the audience votes for the cutest one. There are silent auctions at many shows where anyone can bid and buy animals. There are vendors at the National Shows selling all types of chinchilla supplies and other crafts and goodies. There really is something for everyone that loves chinchillas. I believe in the near future the organizations are even going to have to add more new things to their shows, meetings, seminars, and get togethers to entice more new members to join. I am not on the Empress or MCBA Board of Directors, but I have been involved with both organizations for many years. They are both great organizations to be a part of with unlimited resources to take advantage of if you have the interest to do so. Both organizations need more membership and both are open to everyone no matter what your goals or ambitions with chinchillas are. If interested, find the nearest show or get together to you and attend. It is totally free and if you ask questions, you'll be pleasantly surprised what you'll learn and how nice all the people really are. These organizations need your help to continue to exist. New members will bring fresh ideas and help promote change which is exactly what is needed for the future.

I have not joined the Empress because it is confusing on the main web page. It lists several different membership applications but when you seek to find information there is no explination. I'd like to see that changed with specifics. I would also like to see information on the main web page about how shows are judged for both the MCBA and the Empress. I understand the MCBA and am winging my way through the Empress at field events. But new people are clueless and perhaps as intimidated as I was in the beginning.

Last year I went to an Empress field event and paid a due. I thought I was joining the Empress. Seems I was only joining the chapter?? Can someone clairify if you have to join both? As a MCBA member it is just one due.

And lastly the reason I did not join the MCBA for several years was due to the fact that someone had to sponsor you. It made me feel like the organization was private.

In a nutshell people want to be able to read a web page, understand how shows and memberships work for each organization and perhaps have a "ask question" e-mail for a response.

I have to call people and ask questions.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!

Normally there is no fee to join a branch. Which show did you attend? Do you remember how much the fee was by chance? Sometimes there is a fee to attend, and a fee to show, but I don't know of any branch that has a fee to join the branch. The branches are all parts of Empress, so by joining Empress you can join any branch you'd like. You can even opt to be a part of the Nebraska branch if you chose!

I'll get some information written up for you of the basics on how an Empress Show is run as well and get that to you.

This may be a pipe dream, but maybe having a pet oriented event such as a pet show and a learing seminar dealing with nutrition and health may entice more pet people.

I joined the MCBA several years ago. It was being ran by a different person and it took forever for them to cash my check and send me my information. I also only got 1 magazine the entire year so I never renewed my membership :( Now that different people are in charge, I may look into renewing my membership again. Would I have to get sponsored all over again, or can I just renew?

Stacie, I think you should be able to simply renew, but I'm not positive on that. Jags would be the person to ask, and I can have them let you know if you'd like.

Dawn, nothing wrong with pipe dreams. I talked with several people in chat last night and many agreed that perhaps a pet class along with the show, perhaps run on a voting scale like the baby derbies, would be more appealing to some people who maybe don't breed or would like to show a pet of any age, quality, or condition.

I just wanted to take a second to say too that I'm not here authorized by Empress or MCBA to enforce any of these changes, I'm just a member who wants to see the organizations thrive. I want to try to gather some ideas, and get thoughts and find out what can help the group so I can pass the information along to someone who is able to help make these things happen.

I'm glad to help answer any questions about ECBC or MCBA if I'm able and if I'm not I'm glad to help get you in touch with the person who can, or help find out.

So far I've talked with people about ideas like having a pet owners manual as well as the ranchers handbook, offering a pet class at the shows, improving the magazine and trying to get more articles and information in it, as well as some other ideas.

I really appreciate all of the input, don't worry if you think your idea is a pipe dream or will never happen, if you don't share it, it will never even be a possibility!

I've never even considered joining because I thought it was mainly for breeders competing about which chinchillas would make the best pelt. Would it really be beneficial for a pet owner to join one of these organizations? :hmm: I would love to learn more about the health and care of chins. While learning about what qualities are desirable in their coats is interesting, it just doesn't matter when I'm adopting chins who need a new home.

(I don't mean this to sound degrading in any way. I have no experience with shows at all.)

I love Dawn's idea! I will definitely consider joining. I agree with the above post that I would probably only do so if it was a quick and easy process online. Like others, I had no idea that pet owners were encouraged to join. But I'd love to support the chin community and getting a monthly newsletter would be a plus!

Thanks so much, this is very helpful!

Normally there is no fee to join a branch. Which show did you attend? Do you remember how much the fee was by chance? Sometimes there is a fee to attend, and a fee to show, but I don't know of any branch that has a fee to join the branch. The branches are all parts of Empress, so by joining Empress you can join any branch you'd like. You can even opt to be a part of the Nebraska branch if you chose!

I'll get some information written up for you of the basics on how an Empress Show is run as well and get that to you.

The Southern Unit has a $20 start up fee and $10 per year afterward. In order to be a member of a unit, you do have to be a member of the National organization. With such a small number of members in the unit, it's very costly and we don't have as much money coming in as many other branches. Many people come to the meetings and shows, but do not become a member. You do not have to be a member to show though.

I have not yet joined ECBC but I intend to, despite there not being an active chapter out this way (other than OH). I think the magazine alone would be worth it.

Neither org's website is very user friendly, especially to someone who is not familiar with the organizations/showing/people in charge. I have made suggestions in the past of things I'd like to see added, such as a list of the current sanctioned judges and upcoming show info (especially Empress, which doesn't even have this weekend's show in Jenera listed). I understand a lot of this info is up to the chapters to get sent in, and sometimes that doesn't happen. But for the people who aren't members, haven't been to shows, don't know the people listed as show chair etc, do you think they're really going to call a stranger to find out about the events? Websites can be valuable tools for armchair researchers.

I don't know that pet owners/non-members are aware what membership includes, such as the magazines which can be valuable to anyone. Empress used to have an excerpt from articles on their webpage to show what's in the magazines, but I don't see that anymore. Perhaps a page detailing the benefits of membership?

I know there is a crowd of hard core pet people that are dead set against the organizations because of their support of pelting. In fact, basically stating that you agree to support this is on the membership application. I am not suggesting this be changed, it is part of what the orgs are for, just saying that there is a sizeable crowd of people who will never join because of that.

I am not against a pet class at shows, just worried that pet owners will consider it an endorsement of quality, and BYBs will take advantage of it. It's easy to say baby derbies are just for fun, they're babies. But when you start bringing adults in, then getting an award/ribbon/trophy with the org's name on it, and that person goes off and breeds that chin and sells the kits saying they came out of a first place show winner... that's not something I'd like to see the orgs' names attached to. Also, I worry that BYBs will start breeding as many mutes together as possible, intent on winning this class with their TOV white violephire wrap. But as I said, if properly handled, I'm not against it. The Cat Fancier's Association has "Household Pet" classes at their shows for pet owners to show off their pet, and they are actually judged by sanctioned judges who basically pick the most unique/prettiest markings. However, I believe it is a requirement that HHP entries are spayed/neutered.

Last edited:
I've been hearing a lot of site issues, that definitely something that could be an option to be made easier.

What kind of information would you like to see on the site? Run down of membership and magazine, maybe a run down of what to expect at a show?

Since Empress was founded on pelting it's still important that this be remembered. By agreeing to the application it's not necessarily agreeing that you want to pelt, or even want to see or handle pelts or buy garments made from pelts. It is mostly to help ensure that people understand that the pelt market is what started the chins here, if not for the pelting market there is a good chance that chins as we know them today would not exist. It's accepting that you acknowledge that pelting is an aspect of the breeding and ranching world. It is very understandable that pelting can be upsetting to pet owners, but Empress does acknowledge the importance of pelting to the chinchilla industry. What is funny to think is that how pet people often view pelting is probably similar to the way the pelters first viewed pet chins!

Mish I understand your concern and agree that there would have to be some sort of "preventative measures" to help ensure that people understand the difference between a Grand Show and a pet award, that they are based and totally different merits and each serve their own purpose.

Back