What would you have done?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeanette

From Q to H
I think that I may have done something a little bit dumb.

I found this pigeon in the street that couldn't use its legs, picked it up and put it on the grass...
I was on my way to class when this happened and I washed my hands (literally 5 times). My friends looked at me kind of weird when I told them. I usually don't like pigeons, but I don't like to see any animal suffer. It was in between two parked cars on the road. It would have gotten run over!

Now, I went back after class and it was almost dead. I didn't really know what to do, so I thought that I would let it die in peace where it was. Animals die all the time, right? I feel bad for just leaving it there though.

Anyone think differently? Would animal control come and get it? Most people just said that I was wasting my time.

I'm still grossed out that I touched a pigeon though... even though I almost made my hands raw from washing them afterwards.

Thoughts/comments please!!

i think you did the right thing. if animal control where you live is anything like here, rigor mortis would set in before they came out to rescue it. at least he died in the grass in stead of getting run over.

You did better than I ever would have.. I don't think I could ever touch a pigeon (but then again I'm a germophobe). And yes, it's always better to die peacefully rather than being smooshed.

That was very kind of you to move the little bird to safety. Poor thing. I would have done the same thing, BUT I would have found something to wrap around my hands to pick the bird up. Those things are really dirty things... :) It's okay to care about the little creatures. This world would be in a lot better shape if everyone actually did have the compassion and empathy that you have.

. I would have called the Wildlife place here. It was nice of you to move it, and yea animals die all the time. However, it was probably going to die, and I am sure there was nothing more they could have done for it.

I could not have just left it there. However my boyfriend he would have just put it out of its misery right then and there. He had to do that to a baby bunny that a cat got ahold of (wild rabbit).

How would he have 'put it out of it's misery'?
Wait, something tells me I don't want to know.

But I did go back to that spot a while later. No bird. Maybe someone threw it in the trash. Poor bird...

When this has happened to me before, someone almost always just wrings the poor thing's neck, unless it seems to have enough fight to get it to a rehabilitation facility. In those cases, though, I think it's usually kinder to end the animal's suffering.

And touching a pigeon is no less germy than touching a subway rail, doorknob, $1.00 bill, or someone else's hand. :) (Not that I want to make you paranoid...)

Sounds like poisoning. If there are a lot of pigeons that live in areas such as businesses and schools it is not uncommon for them to bait and poison them.

I would have done the same. Over the years I've done things of this sort too. I once turned around after seeing a bunny laying by the road with a broken back. The back end of him totally not moving. I had a Walmart bag and running out of my car real quick in super heavy traffic, lifted it to my car. I put it on the floor and talked softly to the poor terrified thing. The bunny calmed down in just a short four block ride. Trusted me when I walked into my vet and asked if they could put it down. They did.
I've also taken a hawk, a "giganto" turtle and many other little birds to the vet that calls a local rehab group in my area.

That's why I so dislike cats!!! They kill for fun, not because they're hungry. In my back yard they're always trying to get at my sweetie birds at the feeders! I always chase them away, I feel like getting a bebe gun!

It was good of you to carry the bird to safety, and washing your hands really well is adequate.

Ditto to addicted. Cats are naturally predators. It's just in their nature. I much prefer my kitties hunting the mice that get into my house rather than the mice getting into my food and stuff!

I think it was nice of you to move the bird to an area it could die in some form of peace in.

I know, but the cats don't have to flaunt the fact that they are murdering things all the time. :) And, the little presents of butchered animals on my welcome mat make me scream every morning - you'd think I would expect it by now?

It is good that they kill all the little creepy things...I agree. The packrats don't get into my cars because of the kitties. I never have any mice anywhere because they are properly disposed of and the kitty cats get a nice meal. ewww...

My dog somehow manages to smuggle in live lizards in her mouth. I don't know how, but she does. I think we have like 4 lizards in the house somewhere.

I know the whole cat present thing though. My cat, Oliver, back in Tennessee always brings me the "best" presents. I seriously think he is proud of his gifts. If I remember correctly, the few major gifts were a dead squirrel (I can still remember the sound of the poor things head hitting the concrete when he dropped it), a box turtle, and a 2 foot long, live garter snake. Yeah, gee, thanks kitty.

Latest posts

Back