What would you do with 50M?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
So after taxes the current powerball here would be about 35-50M, my husband and I always discuss what'd do with "our halves" of it the lottery when we win it. We'd start with a good lawyer, and a vacation! Heck, I'll take the lawyer on vacation too! :thumbsup:

I've got a house to build in New Zeland, with a sub basement chin house, a huge barn for my horses, and sheep, and some really cool herding dogs to play with the sheep... and maybe I'll get some mini sheep, and some mini herd dogs too... ;)

What would you do with it?

I'd probably start out getting an employee to help me with the chins so I don't have to work as hard! :D

I don't know what I would do for sure, I'm sure that I would eventually build a new house for me and the chinnies. I wouldn't waste the money by any means.

Wouldn't it be so hard to just spend money like that after learning to live on a really tight budget? I don't know if I could ever really get into it. I've learned to live on so little...having money wouldn't mean I would have to be nearly as creative as I have to be now. I think I would miss having to work things out like I have to now.

The first thing I would do is tell my family we won the lottery! I would give my brother in law, Chris the ticket to hold on to. I would visit all my CnH friends all over the world--I would have liposuction WHILE eating a bavarian creme filled donut or a cherry turnover. Those are the shallow selfish things coming to mind right at the moment. And I would definitely book hunt for all my favorite authors and see where they are signing books and go and see each and every one. I'm sure I would also visit Graceland and stand on my "hallowed" ground. Again just the shallow things coming to mind first! LOL! OH I would get someone to back my idea on a drive through desserts place!

Never work again. So, I suppose I'd have to bank some of it or invest it so I could manage that, with inflation..

Let's see... buy lots of quality chins and I'd have the money to attend shows and do all that sort of stuff. Pay for retirement for my parents... But a 70 Olds and a 69 Camaro. Drive cross country in em (nevermind gas prices).

Own that "farm" I've always wanted, which is just a nice house on several acres of land that's all fenced in with black wrought (sp?) iron fence and there'd be horses and sheep and chickens....for no purpose, of course, I've just always wanted them...

I'd get some quality bred shelties or rotties and would try to show them and see how all that would work...

I'm sure given more time to think, I could figure out things to do with the money....

Don't worry Susan.. most people who win the lottery DON'T know what to do with the money and end up broke again in no time, so statistically speaking you'd probably need your creative side again! LOL

I'd also set up my place to be pretty much self sufficent, maybe some wind generators for power... stuff like that.

Naw...it would just stay in the bank because I wouldn't know how to spend the money. I could never waste anything, ever. I would die with more money than I won...that's just how it goes. I'd be the crazy person with all the money, just really tight with it. It's hard to break old habits of thriftiness. One thing I would never do is give my family any money at all because they would waste it and it would make me crazy.

I don't like waste and I don't like excessive living. I'm pretty boring like that. :) My needs are so simple!

I too would start with a vacation so I could clear my mind and think about what the best way to spend the money was. Hawaii would probably be the best place to do that.

I'd need to figure out where I could buy or build a horse/chin ranch on 100 acres or so. It would have to be somewhere warm all year around. Then I would start designing my horse barn/indoor arena, chin barn, aviary and 3 story house with tropical aquarium room divider/walls.

When I got home I would buy myself a Porche Cayenne and take a road trip to look at properties.

After everything was built and settled I would take a trip to the Galapagos Islands and New Zealand. And then find myself a Swedish Warmblood and see how far I could get in the 3-day eventing world.

Naw...it would just stay in the bank because I wouldn't know how to spend the money. I could never waste anything, ever. I would die with more money than I won...that's just how it goes. I'd be the crazy person with all the money, just really tight with it. It's hard to break old habits of thriftiness. One thing I would never do is give my family any money at all because they would waste it and it would make me crazy.

I don't like waste and I don't like excessive living. I'm pretty boring like that. :) My needs are so simple!

That's how I am too, Susan. My family was very poor growing up so I do not take money for granted. You wouldn't see me buying 3 luxury cars right off the bat. If I made any purchases they would be sensible and boring lol.

I would, however, take care of my immediate family by paying off their mortgages for them. I would buy my daughter a house

I always swore that If I won that much money playing powerball, I would send a million to St. Judes children's hospital. I can't stand watching babies in pain :(

That's how I am too, Susan. My family was very poor growing up so I do not take money for granted. You wouldn't see me buying 3 luxury cars right off the bat. If I made any purchases they would be sensible and boring lol.

I think with 50M I would:
-Donate 3M to pediatric cancer research, donate 2M directly to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital, donate 1M to the Trevor Project, donate 1M to our local LGBT center (which almost had to close last year for lack of funds) and put 1M toward extending Kiva Loans
-Help my aunt pay her mortgage, though she has not taken the money my father has offered, so I can't really expect her to take it from me. (~100k I'd assume)
-Put money aside for my cousin's college education because I believe she has the potential to move on to secondary education, but her family does not have the money to send her. She would be the first in her immediate family to go, and I really do want her to. Should she choose to attend, I intend on helping her, 50M or not. If I had 50M, would probably give her between 75 and 100k, depending on the cost of education when she gets to it, being only in elementary school.
-Buy my way into a role in The Hobbit. I don't want a big one, but I'd love to play an elf. In this fantasy world where I'm a multi-millionaire, I'm also built more like an elf than an hobbit. This is definitely the one frivolous thing I would spend my money on.
-The work I intend to do would not allow for much domestic living, but I could definitely see myself retiring to a professorship at 35 or so, owning a sustainable farm and starting a family.
-Possibly invest in artistic endeavors I believe in
-Start a publishing company

I'd start with a new car. I looking at buying a RAV4 next years, but with no budget, I'd have to start all over again and look more at the hybrids.

Then I'd move onto to housing, creating an energy efficient family compound with plenty of acreage and a house for mom & dad, a house for grandma, a house for me, and a guest house. I'd hire my uncle (a contractor) to help oversee things. I'd also have to buy a house away from the freeway in northern Utah for my older sister since she insists on living there. :p

Then I'd start an animal sanctuary/rescue modeled after the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary (only smaller to start) located just down the road from where we live.

After that, I'd have to hire an accountant to help me figure how to make whats left of the money last. Then I'd go travel with my best friend, Greece and Africa being our first two destinations.

I've got a house to build in New Zeland, with a sub basement chin house, a huge barn for my horses, and sheep, and some really cool herding dogs to play with the sheep... and maybe I'll get some mini sheep, and some mini herd dogs too... ;)
You might want to rethink the chins in NZ thing. They have a very limited chin gene pool there and I don't think you can import any.

I started this in the other thread too, but lets see:
$30,000 in student loans paid in one lump sum, in your eye Sally Mae!
$1,100 in dental/medical bills paid off, in your eye too Wealth Care system!
$250,000 for a house for my parents to grow old in.
$250,000 to pay people to take care of the house (or my father will insist on cleaning his own gutters until he's 90!)
$35,000 for a hybrid car/truck for me.
$1,200 for the engagement rings for me and my Boy Thing.
$10,000 for the trip to Scotland to pick them up at the jeweler's and have a bit of a vacation.
$10,000 for the wedding (put into savings/a high yield account of some kind until it's time to spend it).
$30,000 for the honeymoons. (He wants to go to Japan. I want to see Africa, or visit friends in the Netherlands, Germany, and Poland.)
$30,000 towards the Boy Thing's student loans.
1 Mil into an annuity/high yield account to build up.
1 Mil to open my own theater and give all my friends jobs. :)
(totals up)
$2,650,000...

Okay, now to the charity stuff.
Best Friends Animal Sanctuary-- 1 Mil.
ForCHINate Chins-- 1 Mil.
Ronald McDonald House-- 1 Mil.
St. Jude's Hospital-- 1 Mil.
Susan G Komen-- 1 Mil.
Equity Fights AIDS-- 1 Mil.
Wolf/wild/zoo animal sanctuary-- 1 Mil.

...and I'm out of ideas. Guess it's time to adopt children from Asia or something.

Trucks and rings must be cheap there!

You might want to rethink the chins in NZ thing. They have a very limited chin gene pool there and I don't think you can import any.

With enough money you can do anything! If nothing else... I guess I'll have to smuggle them... :p New Zealand as my grandmother tells me has no natural predators and NO BUGS!

Susan...I'd like to be your beneficiary PLEASE :)
Jeff dreams about what he'd do if he won the lottery...I dream about what life would be like if we had enough to pay the current bills without all the worry.
I'd want to pay off the house. We just bought it in Sept of '08 so there's still a big mortgage. Then I've always wished I had one of those ridiculously huge bus/RV's and a trailer to haul all our stuff around. The 1st place I'd go is back to Oregon and visit my family and pay off my parent's bills and help them with some home improvements. My brother has depression and gets paralized with fear of living...like "How am I ever going to be able to get on top?" and I'd really love to buy him a house too so he could quit worrying about day to day existence. I love to travel (drive) so would like to take our wares around the country and go meet all of you and give you all of our inventory! Now don't ya all hope I win?????

i would invest so could live off the interest.
i work for my family, so i would hire someone to do most of my job & work from home.
i would pay off all my bills and my familes bills so everyone can live more easily.
i would donate skads of money to animal shelters and US charity funds that help children in need in America...........i will leave the foreign donations to Brangelina.
i would also meet laurie at Graceland and travel to all the places i have always wanted to go, specifically Hawaii, Japan & Italy.
i would make a state of the art room for my chins so they can live a long happy life!
oh and i would totally hire someone to clean my cages!!!! lol

I would:
Leave my job
Buy a house
Rescue another hedgie
Buy some electronic (ipod dock, flat screen TV, DVD recorder, home cinema...)
Get a new not cursed car (4 accidents+1 vendalism occurence in a year)
Visit a friend in Toronto and do some shopping/activity together
Visit a friend and my aunt in France and do some shopping/activity together
Visit New York City
Get ticket for the Vancouver Olympics
Take a vacation in somewhere hot with a beach (Cuba, hawaii, dominican republic...)
Trow a party with friends
Give some money to important friend and family (give a lot to my parents, at least 4-5 million)
Get Melanie C, Natasha Bedingfield and Kelly Clarkson do a charity gig in my hometown. I would pay the expense and profit would go to a charity of their choice
Put a good part of it in investment/bank
Give some to charity (I'd have to think about wich one since there is ton of good charity)

I would probably buy a nice, small house...I don't understand the need for a million dollar home just because you can afford it? Probably pay off my sister's mortgage and my parents' and give a bit to my brother to help him pay for tuition through medical school. Some would go to my schooling and the rest would probably be put into savings of some kind because that kind of money will double very quickly over ten years or so and I'd want enough to send more than a couple million to charity(they get that all the time from celebrities) and then I'd want some to leave for the future kids.

Trucks and rings must be cheap there!

Missed this the first time: His ring is $700, mine is $450 from a jewelry designer in Scotland. Link: His- http://www.celtic-jewellery-shop.com/SJR144G_G8.html Mine- http://www.celtic-jewellery-shop.com/SJR147G_G8.html I think that "3 mo. salary" thing is a crock and intend to get what I/we like and hang tradition. :) Of course, we haven't actually been dating all that long, so that's WAY in the future. It's just the first time I've met one I'd consider keeping around until we're both gray and wrinkled. :kiss:

The truck in question starts at about $20,000, so the extra $15,00 should cover pretty paint and On*Star, right?

Back