what is the best kind of dust??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's all the same dust. It can come from Petsmart, Petco, or bought in a 50 lb. bag, and the quality will be the same since it's all the same exact dust just packaged differently.

It's all the same dust. It can come from Petsmart, Petco, or bought in a 50 lb. bag, and the quality will be the same since it's all the same exact dust just packaged differently.

They are all come from the same place. The only difference is that they have large canvas bags that holds a ton or two.

I sell Blue Cloud dust and rocks which is cheaper than Petco and Petsmart.

I have seen some people get a covered kitty litter box for dusting multiple chinnies outside of their cages!! It's really fun to watch them jump in and out of the big pan and jump into it, stretch out and skidding along the dust and rolling away!! Since they can really stretch out they seem to lay there with a big "Awh this feels great!" look on their faces!! You'll use about 3 or so pounds to fill it, but it's easy to clean too and lasts for quite awhile too!!

large glass pickle or cookie jar works great for dusting!

Cloud is definitely better than Sparkle in my opinion. Some older ranchers disagree, but I'm 2 hours from the Sparkle mine and I pay the extra for Cloud. I believe that Kaytee is Sparkle.

I just wonder what the sparkles are in blue sparkle and is it safe for the chins to inhale it?

I'm pretty sure the sparkle in blue sparkle is Mica flecks. My sister uses them in her homemade chapstick. So they should be safe enough.

Personally I find that a mixture of blue cloud and blue sparkle is the best dust for my show chins!

Cheryl

I use sparkle on my breeders and cloud on my youngins that I plan to show. Sparkle is super easy to get here in colorado but only time I get cloud is when I order it in or anyone from the west coast who drives into CO for our shows I ask if they can bring a bag. If I could I would do nothing but cloud.

I would say Kaytee chinchilla dust. I was on amazon one day, going to buy chinchilla dust, when I read a review about the "Blue Cloud dust" that it caused their chinchilla to die from not being able to breathe because of the fine dust particles. They said their chinchilla kept sneezing after using the blue cloud dust, and the vet didn't know what was wrong, after a few months, the chinchilla couldn't breathe. I've been using kaytee chinchilla dust and wouldn't risk my chinchilla's life.

I would say Kaytee chinchilla dust. I was on amazon one day, going to buy chinchilla dust, when I read a review about the "Blue Cloud dust" that it caused their chinchilla to die from not being able to breathe because of the fine dust particles. They said their chinchilla kept sneezing after using the blue cloud dust, and the vet didn't know what was wrong, after a few months, the chinchilla couldn't breathe. I've been using kaytee chinchilla dust and wouldn't risk my chinchilla's life.

with so many of us using blue cloud dust here, and not having any issues at all with our chins, i would be very hesitant to believe that the blue cloud was the issue with this chin. one negative review does not equate a negative product. vets are so often un-educated on chin health care, it wouldn't surprise me that the chin had a respiratory infection that the vet was clueless about.

as others have said, kaytee dust is low quality, and doesn't quite do the nice job that blue cloud does.

i will continue to use blue cloud without reservation on my chins.

Back