what is the best kind of dust??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xoxoimhis

<-- chin-chin mommie!! &#9829;
i hear it is blue cloud.... but then i got confused.
is blue cloud its own brand?? or is it just a type of dust??
because i also saw petco had their own "blue cloud" dust.
unless thats the dust everyones talking about??
currently we are using this dust:

lg_416997_17097D.jpg

is this ok?? thanks in advanced for your input!!​

Kaytee is ok, it's not great dust. Blue cloud is from one specific location. Petco has contracted with blue cloud to sell the dust under their label, as has Lixit which is sold at Petsmart. It would actually be cheaper to buy Blue Cloud from someone on the forum than at either of the pet stores. Additionally, every container of Blue Cloud I've opened at both Petco and Petsmart had a chemically smell, which the Blue Cloud I've used never has had.

Kaytee is ok, it's not great dust. Blue cloud is from one specific location. Petco has contracted with blue cloud to sell the dust under their label, as has Lixit which is sold at Petsmart. It would actually be cheaper to buy Blue Cloud from someone on the forum than at either of the pet stores. Additionally, every container of Blue Cloud I've opened at both Petco and Petsmart had a chemically smell, which the Blue Cloud I've used never has had.

oh wow thanks!! so we can agree that blue cloud is the best?? do you know anyone specifically i could be referred to who i can buy the dust from?? i have trouble trusting people at random when buying stuff like this where quality matters.

I've used Blue Sparkle and Blue Cloud. Myself and my chin prefer Blue Cloud. :) I really didn't think I was going to notice a difference between the two to be honest, but I did! I truly believe that Blue Cloud made his fur look better than Blue Sparkle. AND...when Shadowfax took baths in Blue Sparkle, he would go in, roll around a couple times and that was it. But with Blue Cloud...he rolls around a lot and doesn't want to get out of it. I have to take the bath a way after a while because he doesn't want to leave it.

I have a question about dusting in general:

what would be a god container to use for the dust while the chins are in it? I've heard that it is a social thing and that they like to groom and dust at the same time, but my current dust house is way to small for both my boys to be in it at the same time and be comfortable. also, what is the difference between blue cloud and blue sparkle??

I heard that bread pans from Walmart works well. I had Ryerson make me some dust containers last year.

xoxoimhis i sent you a pm.

I have a one gallon fish bowl and I place it in a small cage. I put dust in both the fish bowl and the cage floor. Everyone from the same cage hops in and enjoys. Some dust in the fish bowl and some out in the cage, some even use both.

Rhino has a large metal mixing bowl for his dust bath. if/when i get another chin i may be able to get away with using it for both of them (if they'll live together that is), as it seems big enough for two to go in at once. dust flies absolutely everywhere when Rhino dusts, but worth it to see him enjoying it so much.

I agree with the majority on here that Blue Cloud is better. The only thing I would add to that is Blue Sparkle is significantly cheaper and still does an adequet job if used properly. I use Blue Sparkle on my Breeders and Blue Cloud on my animals that will be shown. Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

I used to use Kaytee and when I switched over to blue cloud I noticed the difference. My chin's fur is much softer. I still have some Kaytee dust left. If you want I can put a pile of Kaytee and a pile of Blue Cloud and take a picture of it and post it on here.

You know, I used blue cloud until someone on the forum was selling a bunch of blue sparkle at a cheap price. Ever since then, I have noticed that my chinchillas' fur doesn't look as good as it did before. I am definitely going back to blue cloud after I finish this dust..

Petco has contracted with blue cloud to sell the dust under their label, as has Lixit which is sold at Petsmart. It would actually be cheaper to buy Blue Cloud from someone on the forum than at either of the pet stores. Additionally, every container of Blue Cloud I've opened at both Petco and Petsmart had a chemically smell, which the Blue Cloud I've used never has had.

This intrigues me, as I'm thinking of switching to the PetSmart brand of Blue Cloud. However, I'm not a breeder or show-er, just a happy single chin owner - and we've used the original bagged Blue Cloud for years now. Since it would be so much easier to just pick up fresh dust from PetSmart whenever we need it, I'd like to make the switch, but really nervous that the quality of the PetSmart (or PetCo) Blue Cloud isn't the same as the original bagged Blue Cloud - please help! Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back