What is the best hay holder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweppes

I just have a little ceramic container and all the hay gets pulled out as soon as I put it in the cage. Anyone have anything they'd recommend?

My chins do the same, think its their job to do it haha!

Someone else might have some advice, would be interested in this also.

I am currently using a hay ball. Because there is a danger of the chin's leg get stuck in the ball, we actually hang the ball at the side of the cage. Its doing great =)

I have metal holders that attach outside the cage for my messiest chins. The hay rests between the hay holder and the bars of the cage. It really lessens the amount of hay waste.

I've tried a whole bunch of hay racks... little stinker pulls it out everytime, I've given up lol

I also use the hay balls in my cages. They're in the corner and down low. I've never had an issue with a leg getting caught or anything, but I know some don't use them for fear that it will happen. But it works for my girls.

My boys pee in their haybox. My husband made it, and it's big because he thought that for two chins it would need to be huge... MEN! UGH! LOL! But I am going to have to have him make a smaller holder, but it will still get pulled out.

Oh stackie! I like that outside of the cage thingy, will it work on a FN cage do you think??

**hovers finger over the buy button and waits for answer lol**

Stack uses all ferret nation cages, so if she uses that hay rack, I'm going to assume it works.

I really like hay racks that connect outside the cage. It really helps keep the waste down.

See, and those out of the cage hay racks didn't work for me. I have two of them, and they work okay, but not any better for my girls than any of the others I've tried. My girls either would pull all the hay through and still make a mess, or I noticed they didn't eat as much since they couldn't pick out the perfect piece. Picky things.

I use fleece hay bags from threewingedfury. They are amazing. The fleece holds on to the hay so when they pull out a few pieces the rest doesn't automatically follow.

I have tried several hay holders and the wood ones were the worst for me because they were all big enough for a chin to sit on and use them as their potty, ugh. Tiffany just sent me her fleece hay bags and so far so good.

ETA: I haven't tried it but I saw that simply chintastic makes a wood one now that makes it difficult for your chin to sit on top of their hay and soil it.

I'm using a hay ball. It's attached to the side, and high enough that he can get under it, but there isn't too much around that he can perch on it so I'm not worried about that. He still likes to pull all the hay out and make a sort of 'bed' right underneath the ball. He doesn't seem to pee in it though, or really lay on it even. I wonder what he's thinking when he does that.

I have just started something that really works for us. I have a reg size metal coffee can zip-tyed to the inside wall of the cage. Trim the extra length of zip-tye material. You could also use a strip of fleece to tye it, pull it tight because it stretches.

Right now I'm using a pop up style Kleenex box with all the plastic bits removed until I can make Crash a "Haymock". I started just tossing the hay on top of the older of the two hammocks I had in the big cage for Crash and Cervantes, and since they could stand on one side and pick through the hay on the other, a lot less of it ended up on the floor. They weren't prone to peeing on it anyway, though I did once catch Cervantes nibbling between naps on the Haymock. :) Ah, to be a spoiled chinchilla and be able to eat in my sleep....

It won't win a prize for neatness, but my guys love it when I fill a chube full of hay. They get to play with it, dig in it, bury themselves in it. I mix alfalfa, orchard, bluegrass, timothy, whatever I have on hand and stuff it in. Chinnie bliss.

Back