Wedding pricing...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

beckie467

I have been searching and calling and searching until I am blue in the face and the prices I am coming up with from people are more than I had imagined. So I guess my question is, how much did you guys spend/what's the norm for photographers?

I don't have to pay for the venue because I'm getting married at my parents house and I was thinking well I'll just spend a little extra on pictures, but it looks like the pictures are already going to be more expensive than I had thought.

On average the websites are saying their packages start at $2500 or $3000. And of course they have extra fees for everything. So I guess I was just wondering what the norm is for wedding pictures?

Just trying to get an idea from those of you who have recently gotten married.

This is way more stressful than I thought it would be!

I haven't gotten married yet, but I do know that when we were planning my sister's wedding, I was surprised at how expensive the photography was. Around here I believe it's about $1,500 and up depending on how much time and photos you want.

I know there are plenty of up and coming photographers who go at a cheaper rate for getting more pics for their portfolio, so perhaps you can look around for one in your area. They should have some pics in their portfolio so you wouldn't have to worry about them messing it all up. Also, I've seen different places offer a cd versus prints and then they allow you to print your own photos which makes it a heck of a lot cheaper also.

I used to work for a wedding photographer and he used to charge around $2000 for a basic package. One album with 150 photos and one parents' album with 15 pictures. Then there are of course other packages more pictures with special albums and bindings and basic editing to major editing, and magazine albums etc..

Have you thought about posting an ad at a local college to see if there are any art/photography majors that would like to get some business?

Most places I checked with wanted about $4,000 for a decent package. I went with a photography student and paid $1,900.

Thirding the student idea. A friend of mine charged $800 for the day of and then $35/roll for hand development and printing. I think they paid around $1,800 for the whole package, though since I'd made her a photo album for the wedding photos, she only had to buy the prints.

I would absolutely love to find a good student, sadly there aren't any colleges near my area that offer photography as a major. The closest one would be 2 hours away. I can try to get one of them though especially if they are just as good and cheaper.

Most of the ones I've talked to have been wanting $2500 or $3000 for a basic package and that includes the engagement pictures and a CD with the copyrights and a few prints. I know with one it was $3000 for the day and the CD and then if you wanted them to build you a wedding book it was another $1000. I never dreamed pictures were this crazy! Or weddings in general. I thought I was going to be saving a ton of money by having the wedding at my parents house but the cost of photography, cakes, invitations, flowers and my dress seems like it's going to really do a number anyway!

Tell those photographers that their prices are outside of your budget. Ask for any ideas or recommendations from them. I found a photographer I loved, but she was the rip-off prices that you quote here. I told her we didn't have the money for that and asked if she had any ideas. She ended up giving us her second shooter for the day, and it was only $500! The photos were great. I'm positive you can find it for cheaper. Usually it helps to look at people that don't specialize in weddings. Some people may disagree with me and say your pictures are the most important part, but someone who takes great family photos or great senior pictures should do just fine at a wedding. You can browse around online and find some specific-to-wedding shots you'd like him/her to take.

ETA: If you're looking to save some money in other areas, make your own invites. We made ours for $1 each, and they looked fantastic. No one knew they weren't $6 invitations. I don't know how big your wedding is going to be, but for the wedding dinner we just too everyone to a nice seafood restaurant on the ocean (we got married in Florida) and let them order whatever they wanted. They were thrilled to not have to eat crappy wedding food and to have a choice, and it was TONS cheaper than the disgusting food you get at most weddings.

Last edited:
The closest one would be 2 hours away.
When I was in college, I definitely would've driven it - up to five hours. :p I'm sure you'll find someone willing to do it, just ask. Heck, if you weren't 20 hours away I'd come up and do it for the $1900.

Make sure you look at the portfolio of the place you select, you may not care for the photographer's style. I've taken pictures at the last two weddings I've attended as a guest and friend. Each time I was told (by upset people) my pictures turned out better than the ones they paid for. They expected more from the photographer.

When I looked at the photos, the only real difference was the style and angles the photographer preferred.

I think that's another problem I'm coming across. I keep looking at different price ranged photographers and it seems like the style of pictures I like just so happens to keep being the ones closer to $3000 not $2500.

I looked at the ones you sent me the link for Alli and I appreciate it but the style of that photographer is not what I'm looking for. I don't want to drop a fortune in my photos but I also don't want my photos to look like someone in my family just started snapping.
However, I never imagined that to get that it would really cost me.

Yeah, I hear you on wanting a specific style of photos. I wouldn't want mine to look like simple snap shots either. In fact just last night I was looking at wedding photographers in my area after you posted this thread to see what my options will be when I get married, and was surprised at how many photographers offer the simple shots.
I much prefer the more artsy looking ones with more outside than just simple ones of everyone standing in a line in the church.

So maybe you will have to pay more for photos to get what you want, but perhaps you can cut costs elsewhere. Simpler flowers? Flowers are ridiculously expensive and they dye so quickly! Make your own invites like stated. Simpler decorations for the reception. Have a friend do your hair if you know anyone good at doing hair. Do you know anyone who bakes? My grandma and mom's cousin made my sister's cake and it looked great.

Depends on which side of the Ohio line. On the Huntington side of the line I live about 2 hours from that, on the other side closer to parkersburg I live about 2 and a half hours.

Yeah I think I'm going to have to cut corners elsewhere because it doesn't look like my pictures are getting any cheaper no matter how many strings I seem to pull. I'm having an outdoor wedding so saving on flowers shouldn't be too horrible because I think I can just pull in from the natural flowers and trees already in the yard. My cake I believe is going to cost me anywhere from $150-$300 which isn't horrible and I have absolutely no idea on dresses because I haven't even began to look.

Me and my fiance aren't even getting married until Aug 2010 but I was trying to get a head start on some of the important stuff like cakes and photographers because those get booked up a lot quicker than anything else. But man, I was thinking my simple wedding would be perfect and not expensive but I guess no matter how you paint it if you're having a wedding period it's going to cost you!

Thirding the student idea. A friend of mine charged $800 for the day of and then $35/roll for hand development and printing. I think they paid around $1,800 for the whole package, though since I'd made her a photo album for the wedding photos, she only had to buy the prints.

If you do a bunch of research you can do everything for that price and get amazing pictures. Mine included a bridal shoot as well and 2 parents books and our book, as well as all the rights to the pictures.

I talked to 9 different photographers and this girl was actually the one I liked the best, not even the one who was cheapest. She was very into the artsy shots, as well as the not posed shots, which was actually what I was looking for.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back