Warning - virus alert!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rickman

Yesterday I was hit with a message by "Personal Anti-Virus" saying my computor was infected with 47 viruses and needed their help to remove it!
After seeing the charge was $99, I did further investigation.
Turns out, you pay for their "removal", and they stop the pop-ups, etc., but they in fact take all your banking and CC information from your computor, and CLEAN YOU OUT!!! [according to Sunbelt Systems - Shawn] He told me it was from Russia - Google it!!
DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!!!!! It looks so authentic, over 80% sign up!!!
Microsoft has a free way to get rid of it @ safetylive.com, and it's almost impossible to do yourself! Some have even sold their computors, it's that frustrating!!
BE CAREFUL and BE AWARE!!

I got an email of a virus that is sent to you, that looks like it is from one of your contacts, its titled "Postcard" don't open it unless you want your hard drive or something like that to be ruined. I've never heard of this one you've mentioned, but it sounds serious, so i'll listen to you.

Yesterday I was hit with a message by "Personal Anti-Virus" saying my computor was infected with 47 viruses and needed their help to remove it!
After seeing the charge was $99, I did further investigation.
Turns out, you pay for their "removal", and they stop the pop-ups, etc., but they in fact take all your banking and CC information from your computor, and CLEAN YOU OUT!!! [according to Sunbelt Systems - Shawn] He told me it was from Russia - Google it!!
DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THEM!!!!! It looks so authentic, over 80% sign up!!!
Microsoft has a free way to get rid of it @ safetylive.com, and it's almost impossible to do yourself! Some have even sold their computors, it's that frustrating!!
BE CAREFUL and BE AWARE!!

After seeing the charge is $99, it's pretty "DUH" that it's a scam since you can get namebrand security systems such as Norton and MacAfee for half that.

Problem is, once you got it, it won't let you run anything to get rid of it!! Load all you want!!
Still waiting for more help from microsoft, as they've got to get in my laptop to get rid of it!
20 seconds between posts, a pop-up, and then the back arrow to read something is VERY frustrating!!

Just do system restore back three weeks, that's how I got rid of mine. Don't go to Geek Squad to remove it, there's no followup and serious lack of communication to say the least.

If you get that message, hit the X DO NOT HIT CANCEL!!!! It will start the DL of the file. If you want a FREE good anti virus that will help with that, it is
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

I had the same virus and it was a BEAR to get rid of. I switched to this new MS sec ess. and not had one issue since.

Thanks! I'm so getting that one. All each computer in the house.

I had a similar virus. Where it would tell you there was a removal that would clean it up and when you pay for it it loads another virus and you buy another virus removal and that one puts another one on. etc.. Thank God when i got the first virus I googled it on my phone before I removed it.

When I called Toshiba Tech about how to remove it we had to do an entire system wipe to get it out.

my son's computer got infected with that virus last week Thankfully we were there at the time. It took my husband all day to get rid of it. We were visiting him in TN and happened to have my husband's laptop. He googled until he found the answer of how to get rid of it

Small problem with Macafee and Norton's Ash - they both suck. They aren't even remotely keeping up with the viruses that are being released. I swear, some of the free ones do a better job, like Avast. My boys never have a virus on their computer and they play WoW and Runescape all the time. I search medical sites for my job, use Macafee, and at least weekly have to have my system undergo an indepth search and destroy by my tech support group. I am so sick of this crap.

I've got news for you too, whether you hit the X or not with that virus, it's still in your computer. I hit the X and it just kept on going. I've had that one for probably the last 3 months. One computer it completely wiped, they couldn't do anything for it remotely, my new one they have been able to clean it every time.

It took a remote visit from Microsoft today to totally remove it - 2 hours - all the guy kept saying was "oh no"!!
Guess it got me good, but he was able to clean it out, and clean-up everything else, so it's working like new, now! And for free, I got MS's latest upgraded malware protection!!
He said they upgrade every month, now, because there's so much new high tech viruses and malware, they're just barely able to stay ahead of it!!

Please do yourself a favor and get AVG Free or Microsoft Security Essentials or a Mac.

Here here! :D

I haven't sat down to a PC in three years where I've not had to spend time cleaning them up. Most often people say "well, it's getting slow". Yea, you've only got 5 copies of three different viruses on there, I'd imagine that eats up a few resources... lol.

My husband has a 'fix' for the pop up so it never gets loaded into your machine. If you see the pop-up that says you have a virus and to download..... HIt ctrl/alt/delete and the same time. A small pop up from explorer will appear with a list of ...exe. Scroll down to I explore.exe. Then click on end process. The 'virus' pop up will disappear.

Scroll down to I explore.exe. Then click on end process. The 'virus' pop up will disappear.
Yea, and so will your entire instance of IE. Very annoying if you have multiple windows open. Wise woman say do not muck around in task mangler, bad things happen. :D

If you must continue using IE upgrade to IE7, it comes with a built in blocker and it's free.

I highly recommend getting Firefox if you have a PC, it comes with a popup blocker and you can download flashblock too. Awesome little tool to block annoying flash ads. FF has lots of cool tools, It's like a web swiss army knife. Give me 30 minutes and I will firmly addict you to it.

I also love that Firefox will reboot to your last tabs if it closed down without you wanting it to close down. And it has spellcheck :D

And Firefox has Adblock Plus...you never have to see any ads on websites again! It's fabulous.

Had an outbreak of various forms of this nasty virus at work. I now know how to deal with it.
1. Download malwarebytes and install it. The virus will eat the .exe file, don't worry about it.
2. Restart and hit run, then type in msconfig before the thing starts blocking your access to stuff. It helps if you work at a company that has really old machines with only 512 RAM, this gives you a good 30 seconds. If you've got a super slick gaming PC you're probably screwed. You can attempt to run the rkill file from the link below if that is the case, but it hasn't worked for me yet.
3. Once you've got the msconfig window open start in safe mode with limited services (and networking)
4. Go to bleeping computer and read this vundo virus fix - what you are looking for is the Malwarebytes .exe file that the bloody thing ate earlier.
5. Run Malwarebytes. On 50% of the machines this is all you need to do.
6. You have the other 50% and it didn't go away. Somewhere in your profile settings there is a bogus folder with a bogus name containing a bogus .exe file - delete it. This isn't terribly useful if you don't know what is normally in profile folders, sorry. Call and ask your buddy or something.
7. Do a happy party dance that you've not had to just re-image the machine and did not spend the rest of the day installing special software or restoring your stuff. Whoo.

This is an incredibly nasty one and it takes an hour to do the above on some of the slower machines. People are getting it from reputable sites where the virus spreaders buy advertisements and spam it to you. Very frustrating. Even more so - McAfee does not catch these.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back