Vet money

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ann1

Just thought id find out how many people had a vet set up before buying their first chin? How many researched them before hand and who bought on impulse?

Also wanted to know who has money set aside for them and who thinks that its not important?

Last, how much money do you have put aside and how much are you willing to spend. Is there a maximum amount you would spend?

I did not have a vet set up before I got Chula, but I made it a point to find a exotic vet in the area within the first week of owning him. He was in such a bad situation when I found him on CL that I couldn't have waited until I found a vet. It would not have been fair to him.

I have vet money set aside. As someone who rescues, I visit my vet often. I try to keep at least $500 in that account at all times. Luckily, my vet will let you on a payment plan if you are a repeat customer, so I don't need massive amounts of money all at once. For just regular visits, or anything under that $500 I pay in full though.

I don't have a specific number in my mind as a maximum, but like anyone on a budget, I know there is one. It all depends on the situation and how my finances were looking at the time. I don't like to put a monetary value on a life, but in the case of an animal (even an insanely loved one) you have to put a limit on what you can spend before you don't have a house for you and the rest of your pets.

I have $500 set aside at all times just in case of emergency, it's been that way for nearly a decade. When I first started I would have spent whatever I had on them - I had a credit card with a fairly high limit.

I have more experience with chins and vet care for chins now, so I don't end up spending too terribly much when vet care is necessary. But, I will spend money on c-sections and other procedures because it is my responsibility to do so.

I think it is very important to be prepared for an emergency...and if someone isn't prepared, they need to be able to come up with a way to pay for their pet's vet care.

I called around and found a few vets in my area who were experienced with chinchillas before I purchased my first chinchilla. When I first brought Gizmo home, I noticed she was showing signs of a URI and I was able to take her in for an exam and antibiotics right away.

I do have money set aside in my savings account for multiple things (not solely for chin emergencies) and do think it is important. You never know when an emergency will happen or if your chin will get an injury that cannot be treated at home.

Like I said above, the money set aside is there for when I need it. However, how much I spend depends on the severity of the illness, if it is treatable, the prognosis of the condition, the quality of life the chin would have, etc. Of the vet visits I've made so far, I've never gotten out under $100 and each visit normally ends up costing between $100 and $300. I keep that in mind to gauge how much I will be likely to spend. Some of the procedures are done on multiple days also (Rayna's teeth filings are done on separate days from her X-rays/bloodwork, for example) and that helps to spread the costs out a bit.

I got my chin without thinking of a vet beforehand. I am lucky that the same vet who sees my birds also sees chins. I really don't have money set aside for emergencies, but am lucky enough to have a vet that will work with me if a situation occurs. I would spend any dollar amount within reason to treat any of my animals, but I also have a hard working husband that refuses to let enormous amounts of money to be spent on an animal. I just keep my fingers crossed that a situation doesn't happen, but we have always been able to work out something with the vet to do what is necessary to keep our animals healthy.

I had my first chin for four years before I adopted one that needed to see a vet. Fortunately I was on campus with the WSU vet hospital. Now I make sure wherever I move that I track down a vet with some knowledge in the area.

I have a card with $250 on it, and have made arrangements with the vet to take payments in need of something larger.

I didn't have a vet in mind or did any research. I was told that they just need the basics, a/c, pellets, hay, etc. Then I found CnQ which I learned a lot from. On CnQ this is where I found my vet.

For money set a side I have Zero. I usually just charge it and pay it off when the statement comes. I have spent close to $2000.00 ea on 2 chins both which ended dying within 9 mths.

My first chin was dumped in my hands by my x husband back in the beginning of 2005. I did even know i wanted a chin. I really knew nothing about them, just kinda learned on my own. Once I found this forum, it pretty much saved my life. I would have never known there was something wrong with Richie and he probably would have died a painful death. I have spent almost 2,000 on him in medical expenses and monthly medication since april. would i do it again.......yup. but i know so much more now than i did! much of that money was spent just learning. next time i am armed with info!!

i have a great vet, who i can text and who has actually dropped medication in my mailbox.

as for money, well i have credit cards and will use them! these are my pets & i love them. but i will put them before my heart in the future and if they are in pain i will not let them suffer.

When we got ZZ, our first chin, he was an impulse buy and I was clueless. Luckily the vet who sees our dogs is also an exotics vet and has another chin as a patient there.

As far as how much I would spend, that's a good question. I spent about $500 on him when he had a URI and scratched cornea. I think that, like with my dogs, I will spend however much is necessary - as long as I can still pay my bills in the process.

I have spent a fortune on my oldest dog over the last three or four years, and now we are at a point where I am faced with spending a lot more for something that may prolong his life, but it won't necessarily be a good quality of life. After lots of tears and sleepless nights, he will cross the bridge without me later this week.

If I have the money to spend, and the care provided will prolong my pets life in a way that they will not be miserable for the rest of their days...there will be no limit. Of course, I don't have kids either so it's easier for me to say that.

I got my first chin on my nieces impulse..:) I did a ton of research the minute i got home, but I didn't get a vet. Went crazy looking for a vet when I needed one, I would spend as much as it took to keep one alive, as long as it wouldn't prolong suffering or pain. I have no money set aside for "vet care" but i do have a nice savings account, so I have the money if needed.

My first chin was a surprise Christmas present, so I didn't have a vet. He had an eye infection when I got him and I took him to a local vet. After that I found an exotics vet about 1 hour from me that is experienced with chinchillas and I have gone to them ever since.

I have about $600 specifically set aside should an emergency arise.

My first chin was not an impulse buy - I had researched - but I didn't have a vet set up for her when I got her. Thankfully, I didn't need one for several years and by then I had found one in the area who saw chins, as well as a couple of others closer to me willing to work with me in the event that I needed something minor.

I have a card with a high credit limit for huge emergencies. If it is something that I can do at the clinic I work at, I can make payments there. And if it isn't something major, I just pay in full. I would gladly dip into my savings account for my chinnies as well.

My chin was somewhat of an impulse, I'd been wanting one forever and happened to come across him in a pet store. I knew of two vets before I got him (a regular and an emergency) though that treated chins.

I like to have around $500 saved for emergencies and don't really have a limit on what I would spend, a while back my roommates and I spent a bit over $1000 on one of our pigeons and that was less than we were expecting (they didn't have to do a second surgery thankfully). I'm saving for a new chinnie now and its exactly so I do have emergency funds for both

My first chin, who I still currently have, gizmo was not an impulse. I did tons of research and endless hours of thinking about how much I wanted one. I know all about the price of exotic vets. Few years prior to getting gizmo my hedgehog 'prickles' had brain cancer- treated her for awhile until it was time, still miss her dearly. But to make a long story short- I've had gizmo just a month shy of a year now and I have spent a rough total of almost $4,000 dollars on him!!!!! So yes, I always have money set aside and THANK GOD FOR CARECREDIT! lol. I think alot of people do not realize what they are getting themselves into with a exotic animal, its sad. But I do not ever regret spending one pennie on him to save his life. I'd gladly spend 4,000 more in a heartbeat.

I have a credit card set aside for emergencies that has a couple thousand dollar limit.... but as for my limit.... its hard to say but i guess it depends on the situation.
Lucky for me though I work at a vets office and we are able to make payments on our accounts!

Last edited:
I have a vet that takes payments. I try to have money saved up but realistically it doesn't always work out that way. But my vet does take payments. I also have a limit. more depending on what is wrong versus cost. I think quality of life is critical.

I did not have a vet before I bought for chinchillas. my first chinchilla Harm was an impulse buy. I went to a pet store for a bunny after my Guinipig passed. The one they had there was on hold so I searched for one available. I found Harm. He lived to be 14 passing away last month.

Our first chin was a bit of an impulse buy, but we did some research beforehand and a lot more research right after. We didn't have a vet lined up, per se, but we had a vet for our hamster and knew they directed clients to Tufts for after-hours emergencies. Turns out our ham vet doesn't do chins, but we had an emergency as our first visit anyway, so it worked out really well, as Tufts has a great exotics/chin vet.

As far as emergency funds, we both have some in savings anyway for any type of emergency, so that's pretty much always there. We spent over $2000 on Koko's leg surgery, but it was absolutely worth it, as he was so young and had such a good prognosis. An amputation would have been cheaper I'm sure, but in the end, we're happy we were able to save his leg. We'll spend pretty much whatever is necessary for our pets, provided it's in their best interest in terms of quality of life.

I Had a Vet before hand.They know us very well.Because we have dealt with them for years.I have paid 3500 for our dog to have surgery and believe it or not rehab. All of my chins are rescued chins that I got from craigslist or kjjk I have already spent about 375.00 for the last 2 I got.We had the male neutered and just 2 weeks ago I had to take in 3 for poop issues that was bad foods. As far as a limit on what to spend it would depend on the problem, Sometimes it is more fare to the pet to put to sleep.It just depends on if it will help. We also have a credit card for vet emergency's.Now my husband thanks he is in charge of money he said we couldn't pay for the dogs surgery but I did. lol

The relative that gave me my first chin also gave her vet info. Never went to them though. Found one closer. I have still yet to find an exotic animal vet that I REALLY like (I LOVE my dogs vet), but the current ones will do.

I keep at least $500 handy for emergencies. I also have a couple credit cards that I could use. I have a savings account too.

How much I'll spend depends on the situation, considering the animals condition, the risk involved, and the necessity of the procedure. If there's a good chance of the animal surviving to live a happy life, then I'll do whatever it takes, no matter how crazy my family says I am. At the same time though, I won't spend money on unnecessary tests and procedures.

I did lots of research on chins before I brought my first one home. But, later found that the web isn't always the best place to find accurate info. I never did anything harmful and at least had learned some important basics on them. I keep $1500 aside for emergency vet expenses. But, it's not specifically just for the chins. I also have 2 indoor cats and 2 dogs. I also keep one credit card paid off in case I need to max it for some reason. I don't think that I would spend more than $700 on care for a chin. If the chinchilla is sick enough to accuire that amount of a bill then, in my opinion, it's probably really sick and would be either suffering or would not make it anyway. But, then again, I've never been in the situation where I had to deciede what the limit would be- thank god, so I can't really say for sure that I would be able to say enough is enough. I guess it would really depend on the illness and circumstance. Hard to say. My vet is reasonably priced though. He's truely in it for the animals not the money. My chin had to have a finger amputated a couple of months back and he charged me only $85.00. That was for the antibiotic, surgery and for 2 post op check ups. He's great!

Latest posts

Back