Using Copywrite Material without permission/acknowledgement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

RMC

Ok what is everyones opinion on posting others material ,including material that has a copywrite, or pics. without permission and acknowlegement.
What is your opinion? Is it acceptable? Is there a differance between that that has a copy write and material that doesn't?
Is there a differance between printed material and material that originates on the web?
I personally think that it is improper to post others material with out acknowledging source and obtaining permission,especially for material under copy write regardless of wether others post the same material.

Glad to be back,:) And I thought this would be a topic with very little controversy.

Ok what is everyones opinion on posting others material ,including material that has a copywrite, or pics. without permission and acknowlegement.
What is your opinion? Is it acceptable?

I've had experience with pictures of mine being used with no permission. I didn't have copyright on them, but still felt violated. It's a simple thing to just ask permission, and give credit where it's due.

When you post something on the internet, it is automatically considered covered under copyright laws, even if you don't say so.

For example, if I write a FAQ for Chins-n-Hedgies, as soon a I post it, it's protected. No one should use it elsewhere without my permission.

Of course, being the internet, people pretty much ignore copyright.

I agree with becky, (not that there is much to agree about & more or less just true facts.)Once its on it is copyright protected, however it does become public, so people do what they want. This is why many people choose to watermark their work & or disable right clicking. (however there are ways around both if you are a savvy internet er.)

Anyways, i do not think its acceptable for ANYONE to post someone elses work (as far as taking credit for it) ANYWHERE! Its one thing to want to show off someone elses work & say, "wow thats amazing" or cute or whatever have you, but its another to take someone work & publish it as it were your own or not give credit where credit should be given.(Or asking for that matter.)

In the past i have had people trying to use my photos as their own & have taken legal action, which quickly resulted in my works fast removal. If someone were to ask & i gave them permissions only with credit given thats fine, but to hack into someones things & just take is not acceptable in the real or virtual reality world.

Glad to be back,:) And I thought this would be a topic with very little controversy.

People are seeming to forget that old members from the other forum are new here :thumbs:

I have to agree with you on this one Becky. People do what they want on the internet regardless of wether it is ethical or even legal. That is why more and more schools ,even Jr. High Schools are using computer software to make sure research papers and reports are original works and not swiped from some where.
But it seems that in the Chinchilla Community the ripoffs are becoming very blatant as of late. I have a friend who breeds rare recessives and it came to her attention that some one had swiped her pics. of them and posted on their website. And implied the chins were their own . People actually asked if she had sold her chins to them.
In another instance another breeder has a ton of pics. (over 12) and entire passages taken directly form The book "Modern Chinchilla Fur Farming" By Willis Parker.
While the internet can a great source of info. I Also believe that the more this happens their are more and more people who are not willing to post original new info. about chinchilla's or new pics.,including myself, on the internet.
Many complain that there is no new info. that is published about chins. But I believe that as long as this blatant rip off of others material without permission continues people are not going to post any new original info. on the web.

I have the story of Chapman on my website which I found while searching on google years ago. I saw where it was, wrote to the web site owner, and asked permission. I then posted it, with credit given as to where I found it. I don't think she wrote it herself either, but I felt I should go through those steps anyway.

I do think it's ridiculous when people steal pictures. I've seen that several times, on other forums and even on ebay! I never did understand that. Why post a picture of someone else's "something" on ebay? It's not like you can sell THAT to them anyway.

I think that you are allowed to paraphrase books as long as credit is given.

As for taking others pictures, without permission I think it's wrong.

IMHO theft of copyrighted material is theft regardless of how many others have done so. If you don't own the copyright you don't have the authority to grant others to use it.
Paraphraseing with credit given to the source is one thing. Coping entire paragraphs is another. And IMHO any use of original research,pics, or artwork without permission isn't right.

So can you clarify your position on this Tunes. Are you saying it is ok for someone to use copyrighted material without permission from the person who owns the copyright as long as you have permission from whoever "borrowed " It first. So Is it ok For me to go to use the pics of the rare recessives as long as I get permission from whoever "borrowed " the pics. first. I don't need permission from the owner? Or It is ok for me to use copyrighted original wokrs of art as long as I get permission from who ever "borrowed" them before i did . I don't need to seek permission from the person who actually created the art work or those who actually have the copyright for that material?

I have to ask -- is there a specific reason for this question? To me, it seems like there is.

I design websites as a side job, and I've had my work ripped off more than I care to remember. I think people who take the time to steal pictures, content or anything else never really think that they'll be caught and they don't realize that the internet is a lot smaller than we all think. Communities are small enough that people will notice and call someone out on theft. I used to simply add a text link to the layouts I created for others, but recently, I started branding them with my logo. I include the logo in the actual layout, so they have to take it apart and crop it out to steal. We'll see if it cuts down on theft.

In theory, a copyright is a great thing. However, I think obeying that little (c) symbol depends on the integrity of others.

Last edited:
The reason is that I have had friends, aquaintanance's recently have their info., Pics., artwork stolen. And it seems to be a bigger problem as of late.
as well I have often been asked why I am so hesitant to post pics. of my chins as well as discuss my original research/ experience on the web.
This is the biggest reason why i don't. I have also had discussions with others who are also hesitant to share their knowledge for the same reason.
I very recently relented and posted info. and a pic of one of the less common phenotypes I have here. But It was only done and will only be updated in a closed forum. So I wonder how much info. are we missing out on becasue people are unwilling to share their knowledge due to theft of copyrighted material.

No Luke, I wasn't saying that. I just have a "feeling" they weren't the original people who wrote the article, but, since they gave no reference as to where the information came from, I can't prove that. It's just sort of a feeling I had. But I asked them if I could use the information and they said yes, and that they appreciated me asking, so I took them at their word that it was theirs.

Who knows? Maybe they did write it. But it seemed kind of encyclopedic to me, if that make sense.

Okay, to add to your question then, to what degree is the person supposed to go in this type of situation? If you go to a site and they have pictures and what not and you ask permission to use them and they give it -- do you assume that everybody is a liar and it's not theirs to offer? Or, do you take them at their word?

I think that taking pics or info and using it as your own is rong. I wouldn't make a web site, or book, or paper and try to pass off as mine what isn't, and take credit for it is wrong. We probably are missing out on a lot of information because people don't want their work ripped off. I think places like this where people can talk about things, and start dialoges about topics, even in pm, can be a good thing. At least this way people are learning and furthering knowledge. But I do have to admit to borrowing images on occasion, but only for personal use. I have a file on my comp of DVD covers, when my son wants to watch a movie I open it and he can pick which one without disorganizing the whole collection, but I would never steal anothers pic and put it out there without asking. Hmmm, sounds like I'm one of the bad people, now that I've admited it.

IMHO you are completely responsible for what you post on your own site and elsewere. before you use a image ,info. artwork ect. It is YOUR responsibility to make sure you have the legal right to do so.Just because some one may have the legal right to post something doesn't mean they are the copyright owners of the material and have the legal authority to grant it's use.
Ignorance isn't a excuss ethically or legally and will not hold up in the court of law as a excuse either. song swapping is a great example many believed file sharing was legal and were even told so by some of those that offered the programs to do so. But It was not the case and those who illegally downloaded songs and violated the copyright are now being sued ect. By those owning the copyright. If you suspect you are recieving "stolen" property you can be charged even if you weren't the one who stole the property.Do you honestly expect some one to reply with "It isn't mine to grant permission of use for ,I swiped it from someone else without permission" ? when asked for permission to use items that they "borrowed" from someone else with out permission.
I think that this issue is one that needs to be brought out in the open. and discussions like this may actually make some think twice about posting others copyrighted material.

Latest posts

Back