Update on Usagi-graphic photos!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
Well I wanted to update everyone on Usagi. She is a standard I bought at the York show in 2009 from a rancher. She was the one that came with the nasty abscess on her belly that I treated for a couple of months then developed endocardititis. Well during that period I had to force feed her.

Anyhow-yesterday I put her to sleep. She developed malloclusion. I'm not sure if it was genetic vs her past illness and not eating well then. Either way, with her heart being bad we knew she wouldn't survive filing. She had a great life here and I will miss her dearly.

I did want to post pics of her teeth for educational purposes. This is post mortem.

Attachments

• upperarcade.jpg
    upperarcade.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 116
  • upperarcade1.jpg
    upperarcade1.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 116
  • lowerarcade.jpg
    lowerarcade.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 127
(Sorry if this is gross to some, but why is there so much blood in the photos? Was that b/c of her procedure, or were her teeth causing that much trauma?)

The sides of the mouth were opened post mortem(after death) to show how badly off the surfaces of her molars are. You cannot see them otherwise unless you are looking through a scope.

Thanks for the pictures, and I'm sorry you lost her that way.

First off, I'm so sorry this happened. Poor girl.

Thanks for posting the pictures though, it is interesting. I am just having a hard time sorting out what I am seeing. I see the molars, and the tongue. What makes them so bad? I just can't tell from looking.

I am so sorry, her teeth were a mess. Siylvat, the molars on the top are tilting towards the cheek, the lower molars are tilting towards the tongue-the sharp outer edges of the teeth were digging in to those tissues.

To add to what Dawn said, the teeth should be flat across so they can grind food with them.

Although they don't store food in them chins actually have "cheek pounches" which fold in after the incisors, making it hard to see into their mouths to see their molars normally, which is why they cut the jawline to get a good photo ( thus the blood ).

I'm sorry, I remember the abscess as well. At least you gave her a chance.

I'm so sorry that you had to put Usagi down, but it sounds like the appropriate action to take. How terrible that so much was going on with your chin's health, but she had the best chance at a great life with you and you did everything you could for her. Thanks for posting the pics.

I am so sorry for your loss, but you did do the right thing. It had to be a terrible ordeal for both you and Usagi, but there is a certain amount of comfort in knowing that little Usagi got a chance to know what love and care is. I went through a very similar ordeal about two weeks ago and although it's very hard letting go, I know there is a place where Usagi is happy, healthy, and playing with my little Kayla now. It helps to think about that when it starts to get to me.

Thanks for the photos. I haven't seen that in chins, and it is very interesting.

When I took my Equine Injury class we saw a lot of similar teeth in horses that had dietary or absorption issues, especially older ones. The color/slant vs. a healthy horse that gets hooks or is mismatched due to poor breeding. Intriguing.

That's interesting Spoof. I wonder if the same would apply to chins. The last mallo chin I bought (lucky me) had yellow incisers and white molars. I wonder if this is all stemmed from her illnesses. She was 2 yrs old.

I'm sorry to hear Usagi is gone :( Thank you for giving her a chance!
Rest in peace sweet girl

I am very sorry about Usagi. May she rest in peace.

Thanks for the photos. Though it's sad, it's always good to educate ourselves.

I'd actually asked about pouches in chins after the last time I checked Crash's teeth, but never got an answer. Thanks for that, Riven.

To add to what Dawn said, the teeth should be flat across so they can grind food with them.

Although they don't store food in them chins actually have "cheek pounches" which fold in after the incisors, making it hard to see into their mouths to see their molars normally, which is why they cut the jawline to get a good photo ( thus the blood ).

I'm sorry, I remember the abscess as well. At least you gave her a chance.

Dang, I had a bad dream last night after seeing those photo's.
I'm sorry for your loss. You took such great care of her. May she RIP and enjoy her new life free of problems.

Back