The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go for the FN 142 myself. This way if your chins ever decide to divorce each other, you would be able to separate them. Always better to be safe, than sorry, and prepared!

Oh lord!
Okay, I will just go for the Fn 142 then! I hope they don't divorce each other though! Haha, they are father and son so I hope they will always get along. So far so good!
Thanks for the help and quick reply!!:thumbsup:

congratulations!! its a LOT easier if you have two people...it took my boyfriend and I about 30 minutes to do it so by yourself, maybe 45 minutes?

Must be a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. I put my 142 together all by myself in probably 30 minutes. My hubby "helped" put a CN 141 together and it took over 2 hrs!!!LOL he reads directions as a last resort!!!:hammer:

Must be a boyfriend/girlfriend thing. I put my 142 together all by myself in probably 30 minutes. My hubby "helped" put a CN 141 together and it took over 2 hrs!!!LOL he reads directions as a last resort!!!:hammer:

wow you have skills! it probably took us so long because we were trying to watch a movie at the same time :laughitup:

Well it took me 3 hours but I finally got it put together! Chinny is loving it and I realize I now need a lot more decorations :)

I have a quick question.
I just got my FN 142 and I set it up and have been putting different things in it but my two boys seem to only like the bottom half of the cage...I'm not sure if it is only because they are not used to so much room or what.
I am planning on putting pine shelving up so they have a lot to do but I'm not sure if I should leave the double unit or just put it down to a single unit?

Once they figure out they have another story and are used to it, then will probably be up there all the time. My chins always seem to prefer the top of the cage to the bottom half. Leaving it as a double unit won't hurt them, so might as well leave it that way instead of having to break the cage apart.

Finally got my first fn together.

After a weekend of shelf building and waiting for my bass pans to arrive I got it started. Looks a little sparse but I ran out of hanger bolts and fender washers so the rest of the shelves will have to wait on my bolt depot order. Ares wants nothing to do with the camera today and jinx is too eager to explore. It's still a work in progress but I am happy to have one set together. Now for the next two fn's.

Attachments

• 624069863_2229338507_0.jpg
    624069863_2229338507_0.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 624070599_2229341190_0.jpg
    624070599_2229341190_0.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 166
  • 624070114_2229339320_0.jpg
    624070114_2229339320_0.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 624070328_2229340301_0.jpg
    624070328_2229340301_0.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 137
Finally done with the top half of Nietzsche's cage. The bottom half is nothing special, when I get to it I'll post a picture of it when it's finished.

4sclea.jpg

Love the leopard!! *rawr* lol I have the same bridge too by the way. It's so cute! Nietzsche looks happy in his cage! Great job! :))

Just bought my FN142 cage yesterday for $179!!!! Ferretnation.com has it on sale for that price and our local Petsmart price matched ( so I didn't pay for shipping &/or have to wait for delivery!!) Can't wait to start decorating!!!

hey zombiez, i just noticed that the shelf in the upper left corner of your cage has 5 hanger bolts holding the shelf up, but none are actually in the wood. interesting. why is that?

hey zombiez, i just noticed that the shelf in the upper left corner of your cage has 5 hanger bolts holding the shelf up, but none are actually in the wood. interesting. why is that?

Wow you've got an eye for detail. Well, it's a funny story. And by funny story I mean really not funny at all. Anyway, I went to the home depot (which is a good 40 minutes away from where I live) hoping to get hardware and get wood cut to make shelves for the cage. I had everything written down, (what woods were bad and which ones were good, what the hardware was called, how many pieces of hardware I needed, etc.) And I get there, and ask the person who's helping me where I could find hangerbolts, and he had NO IDEA what I was talking about, even after I took the time to explain to him what it looked like, etc. And so basically he ended up trying to convey this other idea to me in regards to alternative hardware that they DID have in stock that I could use to hang shelves. Although I'm sure they did have hangerbolts, I just didn't know the other term to reference them correctly and couldn't find them myself. So anyway, I ended up getting flathead screws and double the amount of washers and bolts so that I could set them up in a way that the wood rests on top of the screws but at the same time is being held down by more screws on top. I can only hang shelves with this hardware in corners because otherwise it wouldn't be safe. I'm comfortable with keeping it this way for that particular shelf because I've tightened the bolts with pliers to make sure they will not unscrew and because the shelf will not budge unless I slide it out horizontally, and even doing that takes a little effort because I've pushed the screws on the top and bottom so tightly together. I think given that these screws aren't sharp or pointy in any way at all that it's probably okay to have two in place resting on top of the shelf. I haven't gotten around to getting hangerbolts and nuts just yet is basically why it's still like that hahaha. Does anyone know if Ace Hardware sells hangerbolts?:hair:

Last edited:
Back