The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to join the club! Here's mine -

DSCN2228.jpg

DSCN2247.jpg

Hi

I want to thank everyone for sharing their pics of the FN142. We're buying one at PetSmart tomorrow (their honoring the $167 online ad at the store). We're also going for the FN143 add-on, as I'd like to have as much room in the cage.

I'm a longtime CnQ lurker, but have rarely posted. I was hoping to gleen some info from the community. I've read the entire 33 page thread and was hoping to be pointed in the right direction, as we're looking to put our 2 chins (Scooter & Gizmo) in the 142 together ASAP. But first, we need to decorate...

We have the ChinSpin, 2 Water Buddies, and 2 ceramic food bowls. We're going to order 3 metal pans from Bass (2 cut-outs and 1 base).From all the pics posted, and to decorate anywhere close to what you fine folks have done, we need:

Fleece pan liners
Fleece tubes
Wooden tubes
Fleece Hammocks
Hangy/Hidey House
Wooden Shelves - Long, Medium, Short
Ledges
Suspension Bridges
and an entry ramp...

I'm hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction, as I'd love to give this business to those who contribute to the site...

Thanks in advance and, as soon as set-up is complete, we'll be posting pics of Scooter & Gizmo's new home. :)

for the fleece liners you can either simply go to a joans fabrics typa place and get the thick stuff, antipill, or on the classified section here, Ive been eying camphor chins also so you can find the hangy houses tubes, and stuff there and again in the classified section. the suspension bridges can be found on here AGAIN, http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9514&highlight=suspension+bridges also for the ledges and shelves you can cut your own if you have a power saw or something, just buy some at home depot or lowes, kiln dried, untreated. and for the wood tunnel simply chintastic has one under other items. hopes that helps. its funnny i usually just skim too lol.

I just got my FN142 at Petsmart with the amazing sale! Spent the last two days making ALL the fleece stuff and shelves and boxes and and and and and... you get the point. FUN! Here is their happy new place.

Attachments

• PB230030.jpg
    PB230030.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 393
  • PB230040.jpg
    PB230040.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 307
  • PB230041.jpg
    PB230041.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 277
  • PB230043.jpg
    PB230043.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 261
  • PB230044.jpg
    PB230044.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 246
Last edited:
I have a question about litter pans. I see most of you have pyrex dishes but would a small animal metal litter box like for a rabbit work as well?

Thanks everyone for posting their setups! :) I finally got an FN 142 today and now I can join the club! I'm so excited to get it all set up and decorated. I'll post pictures up as soon as I'm finished!

I have a question about litter pans. I see most of you have pyrex dishes but would a small animal metal litter box like for a rabbit work as well?

I think it would be okay as long as it didn't have a coating on it that could be chewed off. I've honestly never seen a metal litter box for rabbits, only plastic. Is it a custom made thing?

Just got my FN142 (still in the box). Mogwai's cagemate passed away last week and I am getting two more youngsters (3 1/2 mo old brothers) tomorrow and hope to eventually get them all together in this new, neutral territory.

For someone who works too much and has no tools and even fewer woodworking skills, is there anywhere I can get pre-made shelves larger than those petstore 4x4's? Bridges, anything wooden????

Also, I was considering also adding the 143 but I don't see too many of them on here -- is it because you need a ladder to reach the top - LOL? Those of you who have them, do you like them? Those who don't, why not? Thanks!

I can also make you any custom wood items you need, shoot me a pm if you're interested:))

I have the 143 on one of my cages. I don't have the chins in it yet (they're still in the bottom two sections) but will be opening it up for them soon. I don't think it's too high, but I am 5' 10" so if you're on the shorter side I can see it being a bit inconvenient.

Also, I was considering also adding the 143 but I don't see too many of them on here -- is it because you need a ladder to reach the top - LOL? Those of you who have them, do you like them? Those who don't, why not? Thanks!

I had 2 FN 143 and I loved them.. I had them split into 6 different sections though... They are tall, but I took the wheels and the bottle shelf under the cage off and it lowered it a lot.. I am only 5' 5" and it worked for me... The only thing I didn't like about not having the bottom shelf on was that the bottom cage was very low, almost on the ground, but if you were to have them jumping around the hole cage i wouldn't see a problem..

Sorry to but in, but I'm thinking she means one like this: https://www.bunnyrabbit.com/equipmentpix/litterpan-SMmetal.jpg. I got that one for mine. Not that the girls used it. They'll only go on the fleece!

You're not butting in at all, you're helping :D That is a nice litter pan. My rabbit uses a plastic kitty litter box and my boy chins have a pyrex dish. My girl is exactly like yours, she will only go on the fleece. I ended up just taking her dish out.

I've had this cage for about 3 months now and I still love it. My boys have chewed a tiny bit at the door frame, but other than that, no other damage. Even with my wood cage, after 3 months there was already damage done. I think this was really worth the money. :D I thought my boys would kill the fleece, but they haven't damaged it at all! My girl is the one who has been moving her fleece around, she likes to push it to the side and sleep on the fleece covered tray. My fleece liners are too small, so I decided to wrap the plastic pans in a yard of fleece as a precaution.

Are chins able to jump okay from the first to second level of the FN 142 as is (minus ramps). Or should I just let her play on one level until I get the wood shelves all made?

Thanks!

i just set mine up and don't have my wooden shelves yet either. they won't be able to jump from one level to another without wooden shelves or ramps. you might have to wait or buy a few pre-made leaping ledges to tide you over until your shelves are done.

I actually was able to use the ones that came with the FN. My boys do not chew on the plastic at all. But I do have wood shelfs in there too. But I was able to use the plastic pans and shelves. Thank goodness too because I don't have the extra money to replace all of it yet.

Still haven't assembled my 142 yet. I ordered the 143 so since it goes in the middle I have to wait until it comes.

Have most of you removed the "balconies"/half-shelves that come with the FN? If not, what alternative (other than leaving the bare plastic) have you come with? add wood to the balcony shelf? Cover with fleece? Use tiles or something else?

I have ordered both the metal pans and fleece liners to experiment, but I don't know what to do about the balconies -- it seems a waste to not use them somehow!

Like I said. I use mine. It just depends on if your chins are chewers of plastic or not.

Back