The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my new Ferret Nation!

SDC10124.jpg

That's nice! Does your chin use the hammocks or PVC pipes?

Hey everyone, I haven't been around much, a lot of stuff has been going on in my life. Right now, my Grandpa is undergoing triple bypass surgery with a valve replacement. I'm so nervous. I figured I'd try and keep busy, so I came here.

He doesn't hang out in them much but I do find poop in there so I figure he's made it in there a couple times.

That's good! I'm thinking about ordering one PVC pipe to see if my chins love it. If so, I'll get another. I already ordered hammocks, I hope they use them.

Ordered all my products, Chin Spin should get here thursday and the ledges/hammocks should be here wednesday or the same day as the chin spin :D

Awesome! Did you get your chin spin? If so, how do your chins like it?

Wow those cages are wicked!
My cage only has a blankey, fleece tunnel :(
Finding chew toys out here is a pain.

Are those parrot toys ok?

Parrots toys CAN be, but you've got to be very careful. Look for all wood ones. Not all woods are safe, so I suggest e-mailing companies in your area that make these toys to see what kind of wood they use. :) Nothing plastic, for sure.

I have a question about the FN 142 (actually, any cage with two 'floors').

What is the best way to go between the two floors? I've seen in many of the pictures selling the cages that there are wire ramps going between the various ledges and between the two floors. From what I can see in these pictures, there doesn't seem to be anything joining the two floors, though, it's hard to tell from the pictures I've seen.

Any recommendations?

as long as you have plenty of shelves and ledges, your chin should not need ramps. They love to jump, so the more opportunity the better.

I have one chin that's a bit clumsy and have chosen to put a solid floor in between the top and bottom of the cage. If this is not a problem for your chins, just make sure you place shelves and ledges in a way where they cannot fall more than 6 inches down at a time. This helps avoid serious injury.

Making progress, almost done!

Here's what the cage looks like now. I didn't realize until I uploaded that the first picture is very blurry.

chincage-aug30.jpg

chincage-aug30-02.jpg

chincage-aug30-03.jpg

I bought the tiles from Lowes and should have asked them to cut them in half, think there would be a problem if I brought them back for them to cut?

All of these look really nice compared to mine (still a work in progress). Shelves are homemade and were from my previous cage. I made fleece cases instead of liners that slide on the pans like pillow cases (open on one end).

I caught them chewing on the plastic before I made the fleece, so I had to make sure they wouldn't get to it again. I put newspaper under the fleece, and I have spares so washing them isn't a problem.

top section (flying saucer, granite tile in the back)
keith in the front, rachel in the back
bottom wide (no, they can't reach those power cables)

Edit: oh, and I used the ramps on the outside to keep the bedding in when I used aspen chips. Now I can take them off.

Last edited:
They will get the hang of the wheels. :) I just put a CS in with my two new boys. They never had a wheel before so it took a few days. But man alive, they never stop running now. I feel sorry for the other chin I have on the top portion of the FN. His house is now vibrating all the time. :p

got a new FN 142 for Burrito! So I decided to make here themes for the top and bottom. The top has a western theme. And the bottom has an underwater theme.

For the top I made a western house, some cactuses, a barrel, a bench, a little fence, and a bunch of shelves.

For the bottom I made a sunken ship, some shelves (not all up), a bridge (not up), some fish chew toys (Shark, eel, fish), a treasure chest, and some seaweed.

Here are some pictures:

Western House

DSCN0725.jpg

Top Half

DSCN0716.jpg

Sunken Ship

DSCN0720.jpg

Bottom Half

DSCN0719.jpg

Exploring New House

DSCN0730.jpg

More Pictures:

Playing on Ledges

DSCN0729.jpg

Don't Bother Me When I'm Playing

DSCN0722.jpg

I'm planning on making some fleece liners very soon! :)

What wood is that? it isnt treated or coated with anything is it? It looks nice, as long as it is chinsafe?

Latest posts

Back