Temperature and humidity

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbodgrl

Zoo Keeper
I have seen mention about humidity here, but no one seems to mention what humidity level is ok.

I don't have my Chin yet, but I did put batteries in the thermometer today, just to get a gauge of the room temp and humidity. I have a window AC unit for the room, so temp won't be an issue when it warms up for spring and summer.

I have read varying things on temperatures as well. I have seen ranges from lows 60's to 75 being a max. Any input?

Also is fresh air ok? Like opening the window in the room? Today the temp was 68, but I had the heat running at 70 and haven't closed off the vent to that room yet.

You know, I haven't seen a max humidity level either.
I do know that 75 is too warm. An ideal temp should be somewhere between 50-69.
I know I've heard people talk about fresh air not being recommended but I never caught why.

I've never heard chins shouldn't have fresh air... On nice days, I open up my basement door/windows and the chins really seem to enjoy the air. As for humidity levels, I think most people try to keep it below 60%, and the drier the better.

I was told the magic number is under 150 for both humidity and temperature. My chins get fresh air all the time when it is cool I leave the chin room door open.

My chins love fresh air. I open the window in my room whenever I clean cages as the shop vac gets warm so even in the winter I've had the window open and they love it. You will get varying comments on how hot it can be for a chin. Mine have actually been in 76 degree weather and have been ok--not great, they lay on their side and are very lazy and no playtime is allowed in that temperature, but in the summer I try to keep it at 72 of below.

I think people say no fresh air cuz sometimes windows can cause some strong drafts that aren't good for chins. They are allowed fresh air, you just don't want it to be a windy day with the windows open.

Some chins can handle 75 and others can barely handle 70. I have one who can and one who would probably be very uncomfortable and possibly over heat if active. I'd cut the vent to the chin's room now unless it gets to be like 30 outside again as the high.

I was told the magic number is under 150 for both humidity and temperature. My chins get fresh air all the time when it is cool I leave the chin room door open.

There is no magic number... as that would give huge heat indexes at almost any temperature... That would allow 100 degrees with 49% humidity (which is a 118 degree heat index).

I usually just try to stay below 72 and below 50% humidity which is pretty easy inside a house usually when an air conditioner is running.

150 doesn't even make any sense. Eeeesh.

I *try* to keep my humidity under 60% but living in FL it doesn't always happen. In the dead summer I keep the chin room around 68, and the humidity is usually between 55% & 65%. Right now the humidity is around 35%.

I keep my temps between 65 and 68 during winter, and 68-70 during summer. I almost always have a window left open unless its dead of summer and the a/c isn't keeping the room cool enough with the window open. Even in winter the windows are cracked for the chins. I like them to have a nice fresh air flow... Spring/fall nights the window is wide open with the fan on the a/c turned on.

I bought a little $20 temp and humidity monitor and it says above 60 humidity is high and 50 to 60 it lists as okay. I keep the temps about 64 to 68 degrees. I kept having a feeling of "heavy air" when I would walk in the room no matter what the humidity read so I put in a dehumidifier and that worked great. I open the windows any time the weather is good, but they are up higher than the cages so no drafts. I also have 2 exhaust fans and a huge honey well air filter that I change once a week.

Latest posts

Back