Tattoos- a few questions!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

For my 18th birthday (in April) I really want to get a tattoo as sort of a memorial for my horse that I had to put down 2.5 years ago:heart3:. She meant everything to me and it killed me to lose her... and I've thought the tattoo idea over carefully and decided I'd like to get one.

I'm still thinking of a design- def. a horse or horse shoe- I will probably draw it out myself. I'll be doing tons of research to find the best/safest tattoo artist.

I would really like one on my ankle.... but what is the pain level usually like there? Where the most/least painful area to get one?

What's the best way to find a good, safe, tattoo artist? I've never had a tattoo done before and none of my friends have them so I don't know how to go about finding someone reliable to do it.

Also, any ideas on a good horse/horse shoe design would be great! As I said before, I'll probably draw it, but I'll need something to look at and take bits and pieces from.

Any other tips/info would be great as well!:thumbsup:

My ankle tattoo was the most painful due to lack of fat in that area. I'm not sure if they do it in your area but the place I use in Chicago has health certificates lining the wall.

I have only one, and it was done on my shoulder blade, so not a fatty area. I honestly didn't think it was too horrible and I'm not good with pain. To me it felt like someone was burning my skin but not so much that I cried or anything.

I'd say go and visit some local parlors and talk with the artists. Find one that you like the vibe of.

well make sure needles are changed after every use.

i'm a wuss and got my cross done on my arm, my husband doesn't like it there but it wasn't painful and me and my brothers all got the same cross done on the same spot. it's a family thing but i got it after my grandma died as a rememberance to her.

that's my only tattoo but i'm planning on doing one on my lower back that has a heart with my husbands name in it with ribbons wrapped around it and doves holding them up and mine children's name in the ribbons. I'm getting another cross done too for my other grandmother who just passed 4 months ago.

Last edited:
Your best bet for a good artist is to go in and talk to them, take a look (if they have it) at the work they've done with past clients.
Up here, we have a studio (I won't name it), the owner is known for doing many drugs, and her employees (I have SEEN this) do drugs themselves, as well as let people do drugs in their parking lot. My friend got a tatt from there, but it looked fine. BUT! When I got my nose pierced there, they messed it up BIG TIME!
Now, I went to another studio to get my labret done, they did it perfectly <3 Such a clean environment, knew what they were talking about, and told me if I had any problems to call. THAT is a real good place.

I got my tattoo in early November, right in about the same spot you are describing you want yours to go...I went into the tattoo parlor in cold sweats practically seizuring because I was so scared it was going to hurt really bad (needless to say, I don't handle pain well) but I REALLY wanted a tattoo...my friends held me down in the chair, and when the artist started, I was surprised to discover it didn't hurt bad at all!!!

Sure, you can feel it, and the closer she got to bone, the more uncomfortable it was. But a agonizing pain? nope, not at all...I tolerated it quite well...the tattoo artist said girls usually have a higher tolerance for pain because of the whole giving birth thing, and that she hated giving guys their first tattoos because they whine like wusses!! lol

My tattoo is about the size of a half dollar and it took her about 15 minutes to do...I didn't get anything fancy or elaborate though, just two dog paws and my dog's name!!

When looking for a place, make sure that the area where they are tattooing is very well lit, and that the floors are clean, the work station is clean, and that needles are brand new and changed after every use. The artist should always wear gloves, and sanitize the area that you are getting the tattoo done. Lots of clutter, and a cramped, poorly lit facility would probably not be a good choice.

Attachments

• orion.JPG
    orion.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 97
  • orion 2.JPG
    orion 2.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
You can't really rely on everyone's response in regards to pain. It's really all about your tolerance to it.

I have a few and the places that hurt are over bones, over any tendons (I have one on the underside of my wrist) and the back/underside of your upper arm. A decent way to test is to have someone pinch you really hard in the spot your thinking of doing. Or gently poke yourself with something sharp. Don't draw blood, just enough to get an idea. That gives you a slight understanding of what it'll feel like.

I have song lyrics around my entire left wrist in a sort of 'bracelet'. This was my first tattoo and I was told it was to KILL. I was told the wrist hurts so bad and blah blah blah. Well I got there and was freaking out of course.

It ended up not hurting bad at all. I found it hurt the most on the underside of my wrist near the palm where it's softer than over bone. Normally I hear over bone hurts worse but for me, it was more of a tickling need to scratch it sensation. My next tatt is gonna be a chest piece so we'll see how I handle that! EEP

So to sum that up, pain is going to depend on the individual lol.

Obviously as other stated.. make sure the shop is CLEAN. Organized, gloves out on tables, new needles AND ink for each use... etc. Ask to see their portfolio as well before choosing an artist. I have a friend who was told this guy was a great artist and turns out he was only good at something. A good artist will also help you design your tattoo to your liking.

Good luck!

I have a total of 16 tattoos. My husband is probably 30% inked. He does his own work, but I get all of my done professional because the majority of my work is intricate. I bought him professional supplies and an autoclave for Christmas one year as long as he promised he wouldn't tattoo anyone else unless he got his license. He does really good work though for no training. I have 2 on my chest, 2 on my stomach, one on my arm, one on my wrist, one on my finger, 4 on my back (one takes up 1/3 of my back), my entire right side, one on my ankle, both feet are covered and somehow I'm missing one and can't figure it out! As mentioned above, you can't go by what anyone else says about pain. My husband can't take the pain well, but I've dealt with a 10 hr session begging for more. I enjoy tattoos and plan to have my entire back and sides done, it's an obsession. You can pm me if you have any questions. I have tons of photos of our work.

These are my largest pieces of work..

l_316eded18fd925ca696b26e5790e5888.jpg

l_ee752200b2456e92d58845d6653ea0b7.jpg

I'll be adding fairy wings (very detailed, gonna cost $2500) to the top of my back and covering up 2 tattoos but leaving a tribal butterfly in the middle of the wings

Last edited:
I know nothing about artists in VA, but my advice would be to hop online and read some consumer reviews. Quality ink will cost you a lot of money, but it is well worth it. I know you said you want to draw it yourself, and that's great, but you might want to think about a planning session with your artist where you can throw ideas around with someone who knows how art transfers to skin.

On another note, my friend Mark got tattooed for FREE by Hannah on L.A. Ink. Jealous!

Take ideas and examples, but don't go in with a set design in mind that you absolutely must have. Drawing on paper and drawing on skin are very different, so the pros should probably handle at least part of the designing.

The only parts of mine (on my shoulder blade) that hurt at all were the few bits right above the bone. The rest felt more like a cat scratch, though a friend of mine had a piece done on her lower back at the same time and said it was worse than her other two (chest and shoulder blade).

I have two, my first one I had done on the top of my foot (not much fat there), I about passed out twice. The next one was on the back of my neck, that one didnt hurt much just felt like a cat scratch.

I'll chime in here and say it is most important to find an artist you are comfortable with. Like others said, shop around and talk to a few places and don't be afraid to ask a ton of questions. As far as tattooing over bone, I have a side piece that goes over my ribs, and that I felt more the vibration of the needle reverberating through my ribs than 'pain'. I'm not sure about over tendons/ankle, but I imagine it would have a similar effect.

Look for tattoo places in your area, jump on their sites and read their F.A.Q.
Write down their addresses and go..make sure it's clean, in a decent area (well lit and such) and make sure you feel comfortable talking to the people that work there. If they aren't friendly, don't give them your business. Take in the ideas for your designs and talk to someone if they have the time. Ask someone if they have any horse shoe designs in their flash, if they do, you may see something that you want to incorporate into your design. If this is the case, the artist can use your drawn design and the flash as reference for getting the art ready for a template.

Check out their F.A.Q., it's really informative and something similar is what you want to look for in a quality shop.

Also, it might not be a bad idea when you visit these places to ask them for an aftercare sheet. Tell them you want to be prepared with your care routine before you get the tattoo done. If they don't have something they can hand you with care instructions on it..find another place.

People are right, quality ink is going to cost you $$$. Don't be afraid of the price tag, if you have to get it done steps at a time. Any shop should be willing to work with you. Don't be afraid to ASK QUESTIONS. If there's something you want to know, ask the people in the shop!! If they don't answer your questions, they aren't the place for you.

I know you say that you want to draw your design yourself, but the artist WILL redraw your design to make it work for a tattoo. It's just how it is, they know what works as a template for good work.

Last edited:
Also keep in mind about price, just becasue they charge alot does not mean they are good. Just look around at a lot of shops til you find someone that your comfortable with and there style is what you want.
Someone mentioned to take a look at there work on previous clients, if they do not have a book its a good sign that they are not what you want. Also make sure that they pictures of fully healed tattoos not just freashly done ones.

also wanted to add since you're gonna be designing your own tattoo, keep the detail and size in mind, the more detail you want, the bigger it's going to have to be. Since you said you're getting it on your ankle, it's probably gonna have to be smaller, and therefore, less detailed. My tattoo ended up being about twice as big because I didn't want to sacrifice the detail for the size, but in the end it's perfect.

Ohh, and like others have said look at the artist's book/portfolio to get the style the style you want (since from what I've seen everyone has a specific style)

just don't rush it because a tatttoo will be there for the rest of your life, so make sure its what you want, and you're not just settling

I would go and visit some places and talk to the artist and ask as many health questions as you want.Also I'd look at some of their previous work.SOMETIMES the tattoo artist will come off freaky all tatted and pierced up dont let that change your mind. As for a desgin Id do one that really reminds you of your horse. As for pain its different pain for a different place. I want one on my foot BUT i heard it hurts really bad and your foot swells up for a week to where you can hardly walk n put shoes on so I'm iffy bout that. Kirara is right the price doesn't matter if they are good or not my hubby jus paid $300 for this tattoo n it turned out great.
l_7ff89330a47d436e8e4c4f0073d99e82.jpg

The front of the neck is reportedly the most painful area to get done (not that I have one there, but that's what my tattoo artist told me).

A good artist will be able to show you a nice portfolio and go into detail about the health and sanitary precautions that they take (everything is sterilized and wrapped with plastic wrap at the place I go to). A good place will not pressure you into anything and they will remind you that this is going to be there for the rest of your life and that you better be sure about what you want.

Also, they will guarantee the tattoo for life. That is, if it fades or needs to be touched up, they will do it for free. No questions asked.

My tattoo was done right under where my neck meets my shoulders and there isn't any fat and not really a whole lot of tissue there so it hurt a bit. But, it was tolerable. Compare it to falling and skinning your knee. Not that bad. And it stops hurting right after they are done.

ETA: Illini_Girl makes a great point! Price is not something that you should worry about. If you are that worried about price, you don't want the tattoo that bad. Also, it all depends on how intricate the tattoo is, how large it is (duh) and if it has any colour in it.

Last edited:
Just to give you an idea of price:
First picture costed me originally $45, but it looked like crap and i got it redone for $75. Its on the back of my neck.
Second picture costed me $300 and this was my first tattoo. I like it and it turned out great except there are places that he went to deep and i have scarring. Left shoulder blade.
Third picture costed me $600 and the guy i went to is awesome artist so i was willing to pay his prices. Plus he is the only good artist that can due portraits. Left calf.

Attachments

• 2339107293.jpg
    2339107293.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 93
  • 2441251253.jpg
    2441251253.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 3939921029.jpg
    3939921029.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Pain is really relative when it comes to tattoos. Everyone has a different pain tolerance, and that plays a huge role in determining which spots are most painful. Generally speaking, areas with little fat or “padding” hurt more than those with a greater buffer between skin and bone.

I have a few tattoos and none were really painful… more annoying then anything else. I slept through the one on the back of my neck. It’s positioned in such a spot that it hits bone, thin skin and some nerves. I also have a few tattoos on my inner arm/wrist. None really hurt, but I did notice that the tips of my fingers started tingling the closer the needle got to my wrist bone. It was an interesting feeling, to say the least.

When you go, make sure to eat something before, and bring juice with you. Some people experience a huge rush of adrenaline and sometimes… they hit the floor. Having a sip of juice every so often will keep you upright.

Latest posts

Back