Tarantulas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Therese! How are your spideys doing? I've been doing research and I'm thinking about getting one of my own...any good websites you recommend?

They are all doing great! Such fascinating creatures. I would highly recommend joining arachnoboards. There are a lot of experienced owners/breeders/dealers on there and a ton of information. I would also recommend getting the book, The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Schultz and Schultz. It is the first go to place for basic tarantula information. And hooray for another person interested in T's!! Fair warning tho, this hobby is incredibly addictive. I was like, yeah, I'm just going to get a tarantula as a pet, end of story. And now I have eight, and am planning to get a few more soon, and find myself just freaking excited for the next reptile show. Oh if only Arachnocon was near me...

Very cool I always wanted spiders or snakes. I know a guy who had a boa once and I was there when he was feeding it, unfortunately it was a rabbit, but it was one of the coolest things I ever saw. But if I would get mine definitely would have to be on the other side of the house, away from my chinnies.

Very cool I always wanted spiders or snakes. I know a guy who had a boa once and I was there when he was feeding it, unfortunately it was a rabbit, but it was one of the coolest things I ever saw. But if I would get mine definitely would have to be on the other side of the house, away from my chinnies.

You could always get something like a checkered garter snake that, even if it did get loose, couldn't hurt the chins.

I have to admit that tarantulas creep me the heck out, to the point that I came across a saved moult from my boyfriend's G. aureostriata and I nearly peed myself a little. But that blue one is apparently going to be fascinating to watch mature. :)

Your spiders are really cool. I have a few questions.

I was looking at your pictures from your link, the smaller enclosures, is that just for when they are babies? Can more than one spidey live in the same house? Do they generally like interaction and to be held or do they just prefer to do their own thing?

I love that the babies are called spiderlings. Keep posting pics!

Raindog, yes, smaller spiders stay in smaller containers. It's safer to keep them this way as its easier to keep an eye on them, monitor conditions, and feed them. Too big of a container and it would be too difficult to feed such a small spider. So along the way, their enclosures will get upgraded as they increase in size. Typically, small slings are kept in apothecary dram vials or condiment type containers. The acrylic boxes I have are nice for larger slings and juvies. I actually need to rehouse my OBT soon as she is getting a bit snug in there. Hoping that someone will be selling some acrylic enclosures at the next reptile show here. And of course a larger enclosure is for their permanent setup.

Most tarantulas are kept as singles as they are cannibalistic and will eat anything that they can successfully overpower. Heck, even breeding tarantulas can be quite an ordeal because many females will eat their male! I only know of a handful of species that are able to be kept communally.

As for handling, most species can be stereotyped into whether they are docile or defensive and general attitude and behavior, but of course there are exceptions to every rule. I haven't really handled my T's too much right now as most of them are still slings and too small, I'm afraid I would lose them if I took them out. But I do plan on handling them, if they allow me. If not, then that is ok with me too. IMO, handling is on their terms, not mine. And they are still venomous creatures that require focus and respect when being handled. My Acanthoscurria geniculata is my biggest tarantula at about 6", and I would love to handle her, but she is a beast lol. I won't even call her a defensive T, I'd actually say she is aggressive because she won't even bother to threat pose and actively auto-attack anything that enters her lair.

Last edited:
Wanna watch a tarantula molt? I was able to capture my Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens molt on 5 Jan 2012. You can also see my thread HERE.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Hehe...

Not a tarantula, but still essential for my hobby. I recently acquired a starter colony of Blaptica dubia in hopes of breeding my own feeders. However, I never realized how pretty the adults are! Well, at least I think so... lol.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1084.jpg
    IMG_1084.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I'm so glad I found this thread! I have just two Ts right now; a G. Rosea & B. Albopilosum. I plan to get a few more species in the near future. I also have a colony of B. Dubia and I have a colony of Turks.

Your photographs of your Ts are awesome! I hope you don't mind if I share a few of my Curly Hair.

396165_192933974138432_100002654915458_326504_1756575253_n.jpg

396248_192933930805103_100002654915458_326502_1547162061_n.jpg

What a cutie! Thanks for sharing! I can't wait til my B. albopilosum gets bigger. For a wee sling, it already has quite the personality, I love it! It's actually the only T that has actually tried to escape on me so far lol. I was also thinking of starting a B. lateralis colony, but thought that was a bit much as I didn't think I have THAT many T's yet. But you only have 2 T's and have both? Or do you keep the roaches as pets or have other herps to feed? Are you a member of arachnoboards?

My boyfriend is raising the dubia because he has some Ts as well and he is "frogsitting" once of my frogs for me.

I have the Turks. I'm slowly only wanting to keep them as pets because I feel bad feeding them off. lol. They are starting to get to breeding age now and I hope the egg cases hatch. My boyfriend, in the past, had kept them and said he always had a real hard time getting the egg cases to hatch. I hope I don't run into the same problem.

I have other herps to feed. I also have geckos, frogs & a bearded dragon. My Sugar Glider also loves the buggies as a treat every once in awhile. I am a member of Arachnoboards. I have a 'Want List' posted up of the species of T slings I've been wanting. :))

Spiders totally freak me out but some of them are just beautiful to look at. Some of my friends on FB have them. I think my favorite is the Indian Ornamental. Love the colors and pattern on them.

Therese, I just took a pic of a freshly molted dubia roach this morning b/c I'd never seen one before and wasn't sure if it was normal or not. I was not thrilled when my husband brought them home to start a colony but my chameleon loves them. I've gotten used to them and now I can feed him myself. I even held on the other day.

We breed snakes but I'm not deathly afraid of bugs, lol, go figure!

Spiders are cool as long as they aren't coming to eat me! You guys are brave, I couldn't imagine keeping one for a pet, or letting it out in my floor! Aah!

Took some shots of a few of my critters this evening. Thought I'd show them off! Enjoy!

Attachments from left to right:
1 - Brachypelma albopilosum
2 - Brachypelma emilia (female)
3 - Brachypelma vagans (female)
4 - Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
5 - Ceratogyrus darlingi

Attachments

• balbopilosum.jpg
    balbopilosum.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 136
  • bemiliafemale.jpg
    bemiliafemale.jpg