Tarantulas!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow that spider is really beautiful! I love the colors. My experience with spiders is to get my "spider cup " out and put the spiders back outside when I find them in my house. I do love those little gray hopping spiders. Hee Hee ....I get them in the cup and let them go out on the deck. Then I get down at eye level and have a look at them. They like to look back.

My GBB molted today! I was lucky to have the old skin still intact. Wasn't able to get a pic of my newly grown little one as it was still too shy to come out of its webby corner.
picture.php

Someone locally had some rose hair tarantula's for $5 each as a rehoming fee. Do you know how tempting it was??? I was good, and told myself, we have enough residents at the zoo already!

I don't know. They seem pretty low maintenance...and $5 is a good deal for such a pet. :p My husband would want one in a heartbeat, but that would mean I would have to move out or have my hair turn white from being frightened every single time I go in the room where the spider is kept.

my husband saw your tarantulas and now insists we need one in the future. As adorable as your tarantulas are - from afar- there is no way I could handle one in the house! lol.

LMAO I had tarantula's a few years ago, and they are pretty easy to keep. My husband hates spiders too though, and he endures enough with the birds, chins, dogs, cat, etc.
I would rather a big huge spider that I can see vs one of those nasty hobo spiders that like to come into the basement this time of year! Now those gross me out!
On another note, my tarantula I had as a kid sure came in handy. I used her cage as a bank. I put my money in a zip lock bag and buried in to the bottom. My sister never touched my money! When she ticked me off, only had to get my spider, and give her a little tap on the butt and under my sisters door she would go! Sister would unlock the door, and I'd beat the @%$# out of her! I was an ornery kid growing up!

LMAO I had tarantula's a few years ago, and they are pretty easy to keep. My husband hates spiders too though, and he endures enough with the birds, chins, dogs, cat, etc.
I would rather a big huge spider that I can see vs one of those nasty hobo spiders that like to come into the basement this time of year! Now those gross me out!
On another note, my tarantula I had as a kid sure came in handy. I used her cage as a bank. I put my money in a zip lock bag and buried in to the bottom. My sister never touched my money! When she ticked me off, only had to get my spider, and give her a little tap on the butt and under my sisters door she would go! Sister would unlock the door, and I'd beat the @%$# out of her! I was an ornery kid growing up!

that is hilarious!!!

Susan, of course I am keeping it! I'm not sure what I want to do with them yet... maybe make a chronological shadowbox frame of them in the future. In the least, I do want to frame the skin when it gets to its largest size and with its adult coloration. And I think they are super low maintenance, the little terrarium box I have my GBB in is pretty and small enough to keep on a desk. You wouldn't even notice that there was a spider in there right now because he is always hiding. I know a lot of people like to powerfeed their spiders because it's fun to watch and they want it to get huge really fast, but I want to keep them a bit longer, so I really only feed once maybe twice a week. So besides feeding and the occassional misting, I really don't do much for them. They aren't as entertaining as a chinchilla, but I find them fascinating and beautiful, and addicting to collect! lol...

And Twilight Chinchillas... that is a great story! Such a good idea hahaha...

Last edited:
Another one!

Sooo... I just got back from the Herp World expo in Pasadena and came home with this gorgeous girl. An almost 2" Brachypelma smithi. She is so gorgeous and I got her at a pretty good price.

The show itself was pretty cool. There was so much stuff to see that I really didn't get to take many pictures. I was just ogling everything and totally enamoured with most of the creatures there. I can't wait til the next show in January! /teeheehee

Here is my new girl. I think I am gonna name her Annabel Lee...
picture.php

Indeed she does Julie. In fact... I got home, went to bed, and woke up to find out that she had molted! I was like, no wonder she was acting funny when I brought her home. I thought it was just stress, but I guess she was in pre-molt. And her abdomen was just so fat and swollen when I got her. But now she looks a tad bid slimmer, although no doubt well fed, and her colors are even brighter! And she is exploring her new habitat already. I have more pics to show, but I have to be omw to work, so I will post again in the morning! I love these guys! :apple:

Freshly molted and having a drink of water! See how bright orange her knees are now compared to my first pic?
picture.php

This is what their setup looks like
picture.php

picture.php

Yes, there is a spider in that little condiment container. My little curlyhair is still much to small to be moved into one of those terrariums so he stays in there for now.

That is really impressive...you made them their own little special places. :) Do they make burrows to hide in like all the spiders out here in the desert?

I still winced at the picture of the spider. I'm working on desensitizing myself to seeing them...someday I'll be better at it and maybe I can see your spiders in person without running away screaming. :p

Susan, it depends on the species. My two Brachypelmas are terrestrial, opportunistic burrowers, which means they won't necessarily dig out their own burrow, but they do require at least some sort of shelter to hide in. My GBB is semi-arboreal so it won't do much digging around at all. GBB's will just crazily web up their enclosure and make an elaborate web tunnel type home.

So my tarantula collection is growing! I'm up to 8 T's now, all different species. They are sizes ranging from a "microscopic" Nhandu chromatus to an about 6" Acanthoscurria geniculata female. I have a picture thread that I continuously update on my arachnid forums. If anyone is interested, you can view it HERE.

Great pictures! I always wondered if it was normal, but one of my first tarantula's had a nice habit, that every time I held him, he squatted down and went poo in my hand! Got used it to, but wasn't my most enjoyable experience having spiders! lol

Back