Swine Flu

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far, to be immunized or not for H1N1 is a complete non-issue for me. Unless things have changed while I've been away for the last few days, the vaccine shortage leaves me with the fact that it doesn't matter what I decide... it's simply not available to me. The only people have been allowed to get it were those on inpatient wards and medical staff who (a) have direct patient contact and (b) are pregnant. They eased it slightly to any staff who live with very young children... wonder what the current guidelines are...

I am not buying into the Swine Flu hype. I personally feel it really isn't much different then the regular flu. Yes, it's killing people. So does the regular flu. It's simply a strain targetting a different "set" of people.

I am currently fairly sick. Congestion, Fatigue, Body Ache...Using the good ole' method of drinking a lot of fluids, rest, and some OTC medications.

My personal opinion--but I feel children are dying because they are not staying hydrated. When you are feeling sick--the last thing you want to do is to drink fluids and eat. It can be extremly hard to get a child to eat/drink when feeling sick..so they are getting dehydrated and thus ending up in very severe conditions--IMO

Wed, Nov. 04, 2009
Swine flu confirmed in Iowa cat
The Associated Press

DES MOINES, Iowa | A 13-year-old Iowa cat has been infected with swine flu, veterinary and federal officials said Wednesday in what is believed to be the first case of the H1N1 virus in a feline in the United States.

The domestic shorthaired cat was treated last week at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames and has recovered, officials said. The virus also has been confirmed in two ferrets — one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska — but they died.

“We’ve known certainly it’s possible this could happen,” said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman Tom Skinner. “This may be the first instance where we have documentation that transmission occurred involving cats or dogs.”

The veterinarian who treated the cat, Dr. Brett Sponseller, said two of the three people in the cat’s Iowa home had flu-like symptoms before the cat became ill. The case was confirmed at both Iowa State and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Other influenza strains have been known to cross species, but Sponseller cautioned against drawing too many conclusions from the cat including whether other pets could also get the swine flu.

“It’s well documented in influenza in general, but this is the first highly suspected case of H1N1 going from humans into a cat,” he said.

The indoor cat was lethargic, had a loss of appetite and appeared to have trouble breathing after it became infected, Sponseller said. Its owners declined to comment. The cat reportedly survived the virus.

© 2009 Kansas City Star and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.

I wasn't going to get the vaccine... but I watched the H1N1 virus put my healthy 29 year old brother in the ICU for 9 days, on deaths doorsteps... so I got my vaccine as soon as it became available!

What concerns me personally about H1N1 is it's ability to target healthy individuals with normal immune systems, much like the 1918 Spanish flu (now this is not the known mechanism of H1N1 but Spanish influenza exploited the healthy immune system. Basically the immune system goes into overdrive and eventually leads to death explaining why stronger immune systems had a higher incidence of death than those with weakened immune systems).
We are lucky in our day and age to have the technology to produce vaccines at an accelerated rate for this very reason. Viruses mutate constantly, causing them to behave differently in different people, which can lead to a pandemic when the conditions are favorable.
Whether or not you decide to get the vaccine, this is something to be aware of, concerned of, and take proper precaution of. And also to be EDUCATED of, from credible sources. Yes, millions get sick with seasonal flu every year but seasonal flu can consist of many different strains of influenza. This is just one particular strain that has the ability to be spread efficiently among the population, and is targetting healthy immune systems.
They had opened vaccination clinics for everyone two weeks ago, but so many people lined up that they ran out of vaccine (wait times in some cases were 7 hours long. My family and I waited 4 hours). Now they are only vaccinating pregnant women and children, and children need proof of age (6 and under only).

Wow! A cat was infected with H1N1! That's really weird. well, I suppose there are lots of different virus and bacteria that can be transmitted between animals and humans but, the flu too? That's interesting and a little worry some for me. I have the 2 cats and if the boys were infected I'll really have to keep an eye on the cats now too. And I suppose if cats can catch it dogs and chinchillas probably could as well?
I hope your brother's doing better AmandaDi. That's really scarey! I certainly home that this the spreading of this slows down. But, like any type of flu it's probably just going to keep circulating until the season's over. I saw on the news that they just produced alot more of the vaccine, so hopefully they'll be able to keep up with the demand and continue to produce enough to go around to those who choose to get it. I am not worried for my safety, but I am for all the children.

I got a confirmed case of the swine flu a few weeks ago. I must say, I don't get the whole hype. It just felt like I had the regular flu. I can't say I wasn't miserable, but still. People just find any reason to freak out.

And animals can contract whatever you have, but it is usually in the form of URIs which cat's are really prone to getting. There is a woman in my class who contracted a URI from her cat. It can happen one way or another.

I am definitely getting my children vaccinated for H1N1. My son was to the pediatrician's a couple of days ago and while asking about it, they offered the vaccine. I jumped on the chance to get him vaccinated. It's not worth the risk. I'm going to get my daughter in ASAP for it, as long as it's still available. I'm going to get it, too.

I keep hearing from my parents about how schools are closed down and how kids are "supposed" to stay home if they're ill and they don't. WTH? That is how things get spread! (I know I'm probably going to upset a few by saying that) Keep your children home if they are sick! Why would you want someone else's child to possibly catch the illness?

immunization question

What I've heard about the H1N1 is a theory that older folks aren't getting it as much as the younger crowd because they were already exposed to it a few decades ago. I'm wondering if getting the H1N1 immunization shot has the same effect - ie, if this thing resurfaces in the future, will those who've been immunized be immune to it down the road? In other words, is getting the shot equivalent to contracting the virus, being sick, etc... in terms of future immunity?

I don't know how thisvaccine is supposed to work compared to the regular flu season, but the bf's sister got her son vaccinated through his school and 2 days later, he showed symptoms, passed it onto his sister who got confirmed and passed it onto their mom. Some vaccine! ;)

That's always a risk with live-virus vaccines, Ash, and usually that's what children get. The standard type of vaccine introduces the dead virus into the blood stream so that your immune system can recognize and fight against the virus before you're actually infected and feel like poo.

I know my college has signs all over the place stating that if you get sick, stay home. However the catch is--we are in one of those fast paced schools where every 5 weeks you get new classes. Each time you get new classes, you have a set amount of days you can miss, based on the class. If you miss more then that set date, you fail by attendance....For some classes(1-2x a week classes), you miss more then one or two classes and you fail...so even though people are extremely sick, they are still coming so they don't fail.

Our township had a federally sponsored h1n1 clinic tonight. all children from K - 3 were elegible for either the injectible (dead virus) or the nasal (live virus). 99% of the people there were getting the injectible. I did end up taking my son. Neither one of us has ever had a regular flu shot but there were several confirmed cases in our township and he plays a lot of sports so we decided it would be in his best interested. The wait was long as it was the last night, but it was free.

I know my college has signs all over the place stating that if you get sick, stay home. However the catch is--we are in one of those fast paced schools where every 5 weeks you get new classes. Each time you get new classes, you have a set amount of days you can miss, based on the class. If you miss more then that set date, you fail by attendance....For some classes(1-2x a week classes), you miss more then one or two classes and you fail...so even though people are extremely sick, they are still coming so they don't fail.

That's exactly how my school is. Each class is 9 days, max, some might be 12, but that's probably only 1 of them. My grandfather is dying and I won't even be able to attend his funeral because they only give us 1 day of grief. It takes a full day to just fly back east, so I'm just stuck here.

My school has a ton of hand sanitizer stations around the halls and make us use it till be are raw. uhg.

Well, when you mock the swine flu, you get it.

I was out this past week, but I didn't go to the doctor until Wednesday. By that time, my flu screen was negative (by the way, the flu swab was the WORST thing that has ever happened to me in a doctor's office, and I've had woman exams and bones set), but the doctor noted me as "probable H1N1". I felt achy and tired, and I had (and still have) a wicked cough, sore throat, and congestion. My fever has gone away, but the other symptoms are still there.

My school has hand sanitizer in every classroom, and most of the kids are good about using it. We also sanitize student desks every other day.

I can't believe with as severe as this outbreak appears to be professors won't let students get well before coming back to class. That is ridiculous!

Back