strange lump on tail base?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
my baby female has a strange lump...i noticed it about 2 days ago and have been applying blue kote because it looked like a scab from an injury but had 1 little red spot, so i was trying to help heal the wound a little..i picked her up tonight to look at it and noticed this...

it has since then gotten larger and is almost like a small bubble now..it is soft, it wasnt before... do any of you have a slight idea what this may be??

also, i do normally hold them more at the base but i was trying to get you all a good pic

suki2.jpg

suki1-1.jpg

I have to agree with Dawn. It looks like an abcess, especially with it being soft, which definitely needs a vet to inspect it, possibly drain it, antibiotics given, etc.

It looks like an abcess, especially with it being soft, which definitely needs a vet to inspect it, possibly drain it, antibiotics given, etc.
:yes: I'll second that - you need a vet visit for professional assessment & treatment.

ok thank you. i will make her an apt....like i said i just noticed it last night..before it was just almost like a scab and it was NOT that large...

her apt is monday , i will let you all know what it is...like i said i only put blue kote on it because it was half that size if not smaller when i noticed it...it got that big and bubbly within 2 days....it was a hard scab when i saw it the first time...

Yeah, take her in. It could be a nasty abscess that will require some work. The vet will be able to figure out what it is and the sooner the better because if it is an abscess, those things tend to fill up with puss very quickly and get huge.

thanks susan, i was thinking a possible abscess when i saw how it looked when i checked her... hopefully my baby will be all better monday!! :)

her apt is monday , i will let you all know what it is...like i said i only put blue kote on it because it was half that size if not smaller when i noticed it...it got that big and bubbly within 2 days....it was a hard scab when i saw it the first time...
If it is an abscess which has developed in 2 days then I would not wait until Monday - you're going to need to hit it hard & fast with appropriate treatment.

I agree, the blukote won't help much in keeping it from progressing. You should see if you can get your vet to fit you in this afternoon or maybe tomorrow. By Monday, it could be the size of a golf ball. Not saying that it will get worse for sure, but abscesses can grow very fast and they can be quite painful. The bigger it gets, the longer it will take to heal. It's better to not risk it if at all possible.

sorry i havent got back to you guys .. suki has a case of ring worm :(! i have seperated her from the rest of the chins and into a small cage by herself...she wasnt caged with anyone but she was residing in the ferret nations with the rest of the chins. i got some ointment to put on her and we will see how things go from there.

Did the vet say why it's in the form of such a large bump? I don't have experience with ringworm, so I'm just curious.

Does she have signs of ringworm on any other part of the body?

yes i thought she had fungus on the tip of her nose and i had been treating it but he looked at that also and said it was ring worm...he was possative thats what it was.. it was our local vet who my mom worked for.....he wouldnt lie if he didnt know, he would tell us to go somewhere else if he wasnt sure...

yes i thought she had fungus on the tip of her nose and i had been treating it but he looked at that also and said it was ring worm...he was possative thats what it was.. it was our local vet who my mom worked for.....he wouldnt lie if he didnt know, he would tell us to go somewhere else if he wasnt sure...

Umm..... :hmm: No-one is suggesting your vet is 'lying'. We are querying the diagnosis, that's all. Ringworm rarely presents on the tail, doesn't usually develop as lumps, & you did not mention the nose issue in this thread. *shrugs*

So why does he think the tail area became a lump? Did he give you any clues as to what had happened?

What are you treating the tail & nose with now?

Is this the same vet who told you about the abnormal heart during the necropsy and did not tell you anything more, like why it was abnormal like we asked? I would question how much he knows about chins, no matter how nice he is.

Fungus can produce lumps like that, but usually it wouldn't have been something that would have progressed so quickly. Meaning, I think it would have been noticed way before it got so big. Maybe it's the strain of fungus? I've seen chins where the skin gets very patchy and almost raises up from a fungal infection - that's mostly because it was left untreated for a very long period of time. I haven't seen it form something like an abscess before, but I don't deal with fungus all that much here and the rescues come in with it maybe once every couple years.

Is it possible that this is a fungal infection could have maybe caused an irritation that the chin then picked at or scratched? Maybe at that point the skin could have been broken open and an abscess started under the fungus? (I don't know...I'm just throwing that out...)

It's good to question the vet with this because it may not just be a simple fungal infection that can be treated quickly or even just topically.

Back