Simple/Cheap

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ash

Trouble....
Ok, so... I might potentially be moving in with the bf.. And if so, then it's time for me to take up cooking! Lol

So what I'm looking for a simple, cheap meals for two people. Good tips for helping to shop smart for groceries, stuff like that. I don't want to be living solely on ramen noodles and hamburger helper lol... Thanks a ton, guys!

I'll get some recipes up later, but something I've found that really helps is making two meals out of one. For instance, if I make spaghetti and meatballs, I make enough meatballs to make meatball subs later in the week. If I make sloppy joe, then I have enough left over to do coney dogs later in the week. Also, the crockpot is your friend. You can make loads for two people in a good sized crock pot and have it for more than one meal.

Thanks Peggy! Even if we don't move in together, some of these recipes might come in handy in a few weeks when we're spending a few days together at his parents' house while they're out of town and won't be home for his mom to cook for us lol

Do you know how to cut apart and roast a chicken, and all the things that can be done with it? A $5.00 chunk of meat can go into 3 meals if you do it right (which involves some stretching with starches like noodles and plenty of veggies as sides, but veggies are better for you anyway).

Buy staples, like raw frozen chicken pieces, ground beef, flour, potatoes, and fresh frozen vegetables in bulk (if you can store them). I break large containers down into 2 serving size portions in ziplock baggies once I get home. (That also makes it easier for the Other Half to help with dinner.)

As for shopping smart, watch your store ads and coupons. Get the 'savings card' for whatever stores are local to you and watch for those deals as well. Don't be afraid to make more than one stop for things either. The store I work in has, by far, the best meat and produce of the 3 grocery stores near by, but they're high on staples and non-food items (paper towels and soap). Another option are the chains Aldi's or Save-a-Lot, which don't generally carry national brands and don't provide free plastic bags, but can save you a BOAT LOAD of mulah on incidentals or staples. (A bag of flour at my store? Easily $3.00. Aldi's? Maybe $1.75.) If you get everything in one place and the produce is crap or the meat isn't good, you're more likely to throw it out than eat it, and that's pretty much like dropping dollar bills in the garbage can.

Now, for a good recipe that'll feed a crowd and/or give you plenty of left overs for lunch the next day.
Bring a large can (or 2 qts of homemade) chicken broth to a rolling boil in a deep pot or tureen.
Add 2 cps. fresh frozen vegetables (I like to use the corn, peas, carrots and green beans mix, but cook to your own tastes), and at least 8 oz of canned chicken, or left over chicken from previous meals cut into bite sized pieces.
Smash and add 2-5 cloves of garlic (I use more garlic when one of us is sick).
Add 2 tsp. lemon juice and 1 tsp. black/ground pepper (or 2 tsp. lemon pepper), and whatever other herbs you like on chicken. (I default to Rosemary and Sage.)
As that all simmers, mix according to package directions 1 batch of "Bisquick" or similar biscuit mix. Instead of cutting or spooning into biscuits, though, roll the dough into 1" balls (which your Taller Half might enjoy helping with if he likes to play with messy stuff), and drop them into the boiling broth.
Pop a lid on and let it cook about 20 min. or until the dumpling balls float and are cooked all the way through.
(Last time I made this, we got 6 servings out of it.)

Okay, a couple ideas.

Casseroles - Tuna noodle, chicken noodle, tater tot - All fairly inexpensive and will go a long way, especially with 2 people. You can freeze half if you want to or just make a smaller batch. With my gang, I make a heaping 9 x 11 pan full.

Rice, veggies, and chicken - Cook some white or brown rice, add a can or two of canned mixed vegetables (Veg-All or something like that?), season it to taste. Lay it out in a 9 x 11 pan, put chicken legs or thighs or quarters on top, and bake it. The juice from the chicken goes down through the rice and it's delicious.

Rice-a-Roni! Seriously, the cheapest side dish ever. I make a two boxes (out here they are a buck apiece) then bake some chicken and either cook snap green beans or use canned. Really simple and really cheap. You can use it as a side with a roast or hamburgers too.

Make your own meatballs. I usually do 4 pounds of meat and two packs of onion soup mix (Lipton or generic, it tastes the same). Bake the meatballs, then use them for spaghetti and meat balls. Use the leftover meatballs and sauce to make meatball subs. Get some fresh hoagie buns from the store, put the meatballs in, a little extra sauce, layer some shredded cheese on top, and bake for about 10 minutes. Nom, nom. :)

Make homemade pizza instead of store bought or take-out. My kids will choose homemade pizza over store bought any day. Buy the packets of crust, not the kits. I love Jiffy crust. You can top it with however much of whatever you like.

Breakfast for dinner. French toast, pancakes, burritos. We alternate. Breakfast burritos are a huge hit here.

I'll dig around for some actual recipes, but those are some quick ideas that are relatively inexpensive.

We make a "Quick Dip" that'll last a day or two, depending on your hunger:
A package [brick?] of cream cheese, cut into 1/2 inch chunks, distributed evenly in a microwaveable 9x9 pan. [It'll burn into soft plastic - glass works best!]
1 can of Hormel chile without beans, spread with a spoon over the top.
American cheese slices on top of that, then whatever other cheeses you like - I've used as many as 4!
Microwave about 5-7 min. @ 1/2 power, and serve with corn chips - fast, delicious, filling, and inexpensive - make a lot for parties!!

I love making a whole chicken in the crockpot. For dinner #1 have the chicken plus small potatoes and baby carrots that you cooked in the crockpot with it.

Dinner #2 is chicken quesadillas. Use leftover chicken, tortillas, and cheese. You can add salsa, guac, and sour cream if you like them.

Dinner #3 is chicken soup. Use leftover chicken, leftover potatoes, and leftover carrots as the basics in the chicken soup. There are tons of recipes online, so you can find what you like. I love chicken tortilla soup, and if you bought fresh avocado for the guac in #2, you can use the rest as a topping in the soup.

If you want something quick and summery try making your own spring rolls - this is my favorite (and one of the only things) to make - it's all assembling and no cooking.

Get some rice pancakes from the asian section of the supermarket - they are dehydrated translucent tortilla-looking things. You just place one or two in a dish of warm water for about 20 seconds and they rehydrate into a slightly sticky pliable consistency that you can roll up veggies in. I like to do avocado, spinach, cucumber and sprouts, but you can put just about anything in them. I read on the package you can also fry them but I haven't tried that yet.

I make a huge plateful for the two of us and then we have a tasty snack or lunch later in the week. They are also great if you dip em in a thai peanut sauce.

Okay excuse me what?????!!! I'm gone for a couple of days and you and BF are moving in? You need to PM me immediately!!!!!

Ash the crockpot is your BEST FRIEND! Also as much as I hate to say this, 30 Minute Meals (I can't stand Rachel Ray!) but she does great, easy meals. Once you start watching shows like this you will start to pick up stuff on your own.

Betty Crocker cook book is still the best one out there! No LIE!

I love making teriyaki chicken when I'm home alone, it's so easy! I just buy the bottles of teriyaki sauce or glaze (you can make your own, but I just buy a bottle) The Kikkoman sauce is more salty, I prefer the La-Choy, but there's tons of different kinds. Then just get some chicken, I use the chicken tenders and slice them up into bite size pieces.

Then I heat up a skillet and pour a bunch of teriyaki sauce into it, then add chicken and cook the chicken. You can pour more teriyaki sauce in as needed if the pan gets too dry but the chicken isn't cooked. The smaller the pieces, the quicker and better it will cook. And the sauce reduces down into more of a glaze.

While the chicken is cooking I make some white rice in my rice cooker (you can get them for around $15 nowadays). I like sticky rice, but any size grain of rice will do.

If you like veggies, you can also add them to the pan of chicken as it's cooking. I put in broccoli. Don't add them in right away or else they'll get overcooked. When the chicken is around half done put in the veggies since they don't take too long to cook.

Another one of my favorite easy and good dishes is this boxed taco thing. I can't remember what it's called, but it's in by the taco mixes and tortilla shells. It's a layered dish that comes with soft tortilla shells, taco mix, and nacho type cheese. You just buy a pound of ground beef in addition to it. You cook up the beef with the taco seasoning, and then layer a tortilla shell, some beef, cheese and repeat. It's so good! If I find the brand, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Ahh ran out of time to edit again..

Here's a dish my mom makes sometimes, it's so simple! It's pretty good too, and I'm pretty picky so I'm sure lots of people would like it.

White Chicken Chili
http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/White-Chicken-Chili.aspx

Makes 4 servings.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 package McCormick® White Chicken Chili Seasoning Mix
1 cup water
1 can (15 ounces) white beans, undrained

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat oil in large skillet on medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook and stir 5 minutes or until browned.

2. Stir in Seasoning Mix, water and beans. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 10 minutes

That's it! Super simple!

I love making teriyaki chicken when I'm home alone, it's so easy! I just buy the bottles of teriyaki sauce or glaze (you can make your own, but I just buy a bottle)

So my mom's super secret, exceedingly complicated teriyaki sauce recipe from Japan is....

<drumroll>

Equal parts soy sauce and sugar.

e.g., 1/2c soy sauce and 1/2c sugar. Mix. Sugar might dissolve a little better if the soy sauce is warm, but it's not that big of a deal.

You can always add stuff to spice it up a bit (e.g., add chopped green onions, or caramalized onions, or minced garlic, or grated ginger, or a bit of sesame oil, or ground sesame seed, or... you get the idea). You can also change the proprtions - my family tends to a sweeter teriyaki sauce than some people like. Don't you dare actually go buy bottled teriyaki sauce now that you have the super-secret recipe! :p [then again, I always have soy sauce and sugar on hand... I guess the soy sauce might not be a staple in the typical American kitchen]

It's a good chicken marinade (and my dad likes to BBQ the chicken, and then glaze the chicken a couple times while cooking. We also use it on BBQ salmon sometimes and have been known to put it in/on other things. It thickens if you cook it.

Equal parts soy sauce and sugar.
lol, I use brown sugar. Mmm....

My favorite thing to do is keep frozen veggies around and throw them into a pan with either chicken, shrimps or beef (can marinade any of the above) for a quick stir fry. Yum!

Takes less than 10 minutes with everything frozen.

Last edited:
I love making teriyaki chicken when I'm home alone, it's so easy! I just buy the bottles of teriyaki sauce or glaze (you can make your own, but I just buy a bottle) The Kikkoman sauce is more salty, I prefer the La-Choy, but there's tons of different kinds. Then just get some chicken, I use the chicken tenders and slice them up into bite size pieces.

The Kikoman's sauce is SO salty - 1 tbsp is like 70% of your sodium intake. I'll be totally honest - a cup of cooked rice, sliced chicken, and about 1/3rd of that Stir-Fry bottle is my absolute most favorite food in the world. Veggies ruin it, even though I love them.

Glad I'm not crazy then! I tasted the Kikkoman one and was like... Geez, this tastes so salty! Since I bought the bottle of it, I've been mixing it with the other brand and it's not so bad. I never bothered to look at the amount that's really in it.

Even though you say you don't want to live off of ramen noodles and hamburger helper - I absolutely love to play with them. There are so many recipes for ramen noodles, very cheap and simple. Theres this one asian salad (I think its called a slaw also) but we put almonds, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, vinegar and lettuce and a bit of oil in with the noodles and it's so good - you can make a meal out of it. Also - the cheesy enchilada hamburger helper is awesome. It's the only kind I eat. I take tortillas and brown them in the pan and then make tacos out of the enchilada mix. I've also made enchilada dip - after cooking the hamburger helper, getting it all fixed, etc - I put it in the oven to harden a bit. After its cooked for 10-20 mins on 400, I take the mix, put it in the bottom of a large bowl, then take sour cream and top it, then put tomatoes on top and some shreaded cheese - continuing the pattern until I fill up the bowl. Tortilla corn chips for dipping, and yum. I'm kinda creative when it comes to simple dishes, it makes my life much easier and I try to save money that way.

Try out the ramen recipes: http://www.budget101.com/ramen_noodle_recipes.htm

Latest posts

Back