Remember to check Craigslist

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staceylwolf

I just wanted to remind people to check Craigslist for good deals on chin supplies. I got some awesome deals with weekend. I bought a huge box of things for only $20. I didn't even have to pay for shipping, the woman had her friend take it to his work with him and he only works about 4 miles from my house so I just picked it up. In the $20 box was, 3 fleece hidey houses, 4 fleece liners, a fleece bed, 2 glass water bottles, a ceramic crock, a wooded hay rack, a wooden hidey house thing, 3 fleece cuddle buddies, about 5 wooden chew toys, and tons of clips for all the fleece stuff, and also tons of stuff to make toys with. Oh, and there were also two adorable chubbicharms. I couldn't believe all I got for $20. I also bought a 50 pound bag of Blue Cloud from her for only $10!, there were only about 5 pounds of dust used out of the bag. So I just wanted to remind people to check those craiglist ads for you area :)

My chins love their new hidey houses, I went home at lunch today and found them both sound asleep in their houses.

There are good deals on CL all the time. I saw a listing for a QC Mansion in NC for $100 that included a Chin Spin AND a Flying Saucer. And a FN 141 for $40, just didn't have a pan.

Yeah I just found a FN 142 1 year old....complete for 40.00

I found a ferret cage basically brand new (it was purchased in December of 2008 by original owner and we bought it February 2009). We got the cage which has 3 levels, and had 4 or 5 different fleece houses and hammocks for $60! I was happy too the ramps were solid so we didn't have to worry about them getting feet stuck in a wire ramp.

We found it on craigslist. I have posted a few ads for used chinchilla ads and have gotten responses.

I think I must live in the most chinnie and chinnie supply desolate area of the nation. There is NEVER anything on CL in any surrounding large city. It's ridiculous!

I think I must live in the most chinnie and chinnie supply desolate area of the nation. There is NEVER anything on CL in any surrounding large city. It's ridiculous!

I think me and you are in the same boat....I think the west coast gets all the good CL stuff...

I'm not on the west coast. I'm your neighbor, just over in PA :) Keeping looking, you'll find a deal one day!

Ditto!! and a tip to remember: don't just look under the pets section, look under the for sale sections too! and broaden your search; don't type "chinchilla cage" or "ferret nation"....try just typing in "cage" or "small animal cage"!!

I have seen small animal stuff but never anything good. :( Usually its the crappy food / dust / cages that someone is trying to sell for huge money.

I always check CL (OCD about my chins ending up there!) and never find anything good at all. Once I did find a quality cage with all the stuff in it for pretty cheap, but never again. I think the bigger "chin" areas maybe have more luck? If anything, I find ferret or rabbit cages, but nothing ever directly for chins.

Bigger cities have the best chance of having better postings. I usually have to search Knoxville TN and Asheville NC to find something decent.

I always check CL (OCD about my chins ending up there!) and never find anything good at all. Once I did find a quality cage with all the stuff in it for pretty cheap, but never again. I think the bigger "chin" areas maybe have more luck? If anything, I find ferret or rabbit cages, but nothing ever directly for chins.

Chantel,, your not the only OCD one out there about this. I look all the time for the rescues that I find homes for as well worried they will end up there or Kijiji. I just never seen anything good on CL as far as small animals go.

Just saw a chinchilla for $50 with a cage included. No gender, but they say it's a silver gray, so standard?

"Chinchilla is one year old comes with a large cage"

I'm tight on money, but I do have $50 I can dish out from my savings. To get it or to not get it. This is tearing me up.

I check craigslist all the time.... besides everyone and their brother selling pet store chins for $400 for a chins, its Kaytee food, and a 10g acquarium.... no one ever seems to have anything good.

OH! When I first moved here, someone's chin had recently died, and they posted on craigslist the rest of their mazuri and blue cloud for best offer. That was around the same time my Fuzz was still having allllllllll his health issues, and so I responded to the ad, asking how much she wanted, saying that I was trying to cut some corners if possible to pay for the vet bills for Fuzz, so I wasn't looking to pay a ton, and she gave me the stuff for free!!! There was like 10-12 pounds of food and 10 pounds of dust! She was great! I know that doesn't amount to a lot of money that I saved, but every penny counts....

But never any super-cheap cages or wheels or anything. In fact, the craigslist here... seems all the cages that are posted are so FILTHY and coated in grime you couldn't pay me to take them, considering how much scrubbing they'd take to make them worth while... or if they are decent cages, they do want what they'd cost.

There was a QC Townhome once for sale for $125. *checks website* they sell for $143. Now, I realize they had to pay to ship it, but for how filthy the cage was, I'd rather pay the additional $17 and shipping then to have to scrub it for 6 hours......

Back