Please Help- Bird out of Tree!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon

I have a nest in my porch roof and a baby bird has fallen out of it, JUST now!
This has happened before, we have found baby birds dead on the porch, but we caught this one.
I don't know what to do and I cannot reach the nest as it is jammed in the roof. I hear birds chirping.
The bird that fell has no feathers, almost entirly pink and it's eyes are closed. I picked him up off of the floor and made a makeshift nest. It's a plastic bowl with scot towels it in to keep the bird warm as it's rainy and windy. The bird is safe out of the rain and wind. The bird keeps opening its mouth wide and "gasping" for air/chirping.
I don't know what to do! Please help ASAP!
:(

Did you touch the bird with your hands? A lot of mother birds will not take their babies back if they have human scent on them. Is there a rescue near you?

I have no touched the bird with my hands. By the way I read that that was a myth.
There are no rescues in Bermuda.

Okay, I'm calming down. The mom is out there around the bird but I haven't seen her interact with the hatchling yet.

In the last ice age, when I was a kid, we brought up baby robins that had fallen with the nest during a storm! I think we dipped white bread in warm milk in the beginning, and then mixed in chopped worms, then just worms!
Got full grown, went south for the winter, and all 3 came back the next year, with their mates! Would even land on your finger!
I guess it's a sea bird[?] so I'd use minnows in Bermuda!

Last edited:
Google what they eat, mix a little milk after crushing, and see what happens!
All you can do is try!!

I would just pick it up and put it back in the nest. The whole not touching the baby thing is a myth. If you can't get to the nest I do believe the mom will still car for it unless she shoved it out of the nest which has been known to happen

I can't reach the nest. Okay. I put my makeshift nest under the real nest and the mom is in the nest. She has not come to the baby bird. I am just praying right now.

My guess is that if it can't get back into the nest it doesn't stand a real good chance at surviving long term. It's more likely to get eaten by predators or catch cold (although I know it's warmer in Bermuda)

Is there anything you can stand on to reach the nest? I think putting it back in would be the best shot at it surviving.

Get some dry dog food and soak it in water. The baby bird will eat it. We had some baby birds that fell out of a nest that was never found. They survived on the dog food until a cat ate them since we only had them in a box on the porch lol. I had called and asked my vet to see what to feed them and thats what they told me.

I have amazing news!
The bird made it through the night!
The bird seems to move around a lot more now in my makeshift nest, and the mom has been feeding it! My only concern is that the mom cannot take it back up to the nest. Will the bird survive in my makeshift?

It seems like if it can stay warm it should be ok, after the first few days it's ok to be uncovered for a while and maybe being pulled under the roof helps with that. My knowledge of baby birds is very little at the moment though, good luck!

I guess his survival depends on the weather - warm or stormy and how cold it gets at night, and it depends on how many predators are in the area, since he is an easy target. But if conditions are good and no predators find him, and if momma continues to feed him, he may have a chance. I don't believe momma will come down once nightfall, can you provide more security for him from predators during the night hours, and open to momma during the day? Good luck. Poor guy. You need someone with a long ladder to get him back to his nest where he has a better chance to survive...

He's in a fenced patio with a gate, etc. No predators can get him. The nights are warm. We are going to try to fit our hand into the nest, it's jammed into our roof.

Attachments

• DSC_0245.jpg
    DSC_0245.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I'm so sorry Brandon. You did try and there's not really much we can do in a situation like that. Maybe the mom had booted him out because he was ill. I just had the same situation with newborn kittens who all passed. I tried but couldn't give them what they needed. Thank you for trying.

I guess that's just how nature goes, and we can't really stop that.
I did see the mom feed it, but when I found the little guy had passed, his neck seemed to be in a very bent-back position, maybe he hurt himself. I'm not sure. I just know I'm lucky to have found this little guy cause he has taught me alot.

Also, is it sensible to do something about the nest in our roof? We have found baby birds dead on the ground before that have fallen out/been rejected.

Latest posts

Back