Pedigree Question...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_Pig

so i have an animal who's mother is from a breeder who is an ancestor to some of my other animals.

i was looking at her pedigree and a pedigree of another animal i have with the same ancestors.

am i reading the pedigree right? the sire on top line and dam on bottom line? or do some pedigrees show dam on top line and sire on bottom line?

my chins mom is M144 and if i read it as sire on top line and dam on bottom then her grandmother, F85, is a female. i have on another pedigree that F85 is a male...

im so confused...:confused2:

I always put the dam on the top line, but other people may do it differently. I'm not sure if there is any type of set way of writing up a pedigree so every breeder or rancher may do it differently.

When I write up numbers I always put a M or and F in it so that I don't get confused about the sex of the chin. People have to be really careful or they can get the dam and sire confused in pedigrees that go back many generation.

They are done both ways. Somewhere on the pedigree it should tell you which is which.

All of my chin pedigrees are also dam on top, sire on the bottom. Though for dogs and horses it is the opposite, sire on top, dam on the bottom.

Also check the ranch brands, since you can have F85 from breeder A and another unrelated animal with the same number from breeder B.

Most pedigrees I have received have dam on top and sire on bottom, and some weren't marked M/F so I had to ask which was where. The pedigree program I use, however, puts sire on top and I don't have the option to flip it. But it also says SIRE and DAM in each box.

I prefer having sires on top, but it's of little importance as long as I know who is who.

My software program lets you choose whether you want the Sire on top or the dam. My pedigrees have the dam on top. I print my out in color, pink for females, males are blue. Just so the buyer can easily tell. It can get confusing when you get a pedigree and you dont know how the breeder does theirs.

Also check the ranch brands, since you can have F85 from breeder A and another unrelated animal with the same number from breeder B.

well looking at this animal he/she produced two 'J' animals from two different partners.

i will contact the people i got the one from and ask about their ped.

my program says 'sire' and 'dam'

I always put the sire on top/the dam on the bottom. I also state that on my peds. I am used to doing that way since I many years ago I bred pedigree show cats. I can't figure why chins are opposite since dogs,cats and horses do it my way

Latest posts

Back