OMG Some people

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanceswithElvis

House Hobo
Today I took my great pyr in for his shots and while I was talking with the vet, she mentioned that they almost called me last week because someone had left, on their (the vet office) door step, in a box, a chinchilla. This poor thing had been fed nothing but doritos and popcorn from what they could tell.

Once they were sure it was healthy enough to adopt out, they were going to call me, but one of their techs had fallen in love with the little guy. So she ended up taking him home.

But omg, DORITOS AND POPCORN?! WTF?!

In the end I'm glad he found a loving him, but seriously?! That upsets me, I wish people would do the research before getting a chin; even then it should be common sense to not feed a little rodent popcorn and duritos.
Hope he's doing well with his new mommy.

I've seen cucumbers and tomato slices, radishes, pizza crust, dog or cat food, bird food, etc. People aren't educated on what to feed the chins and the reasons why a very specific diet is needed. It happens all the time. Many times people will buy a chin at a petstore and get the wrong information from petstore employees. They will give out information for rabbits, rats, guinea pigs, gerbils, ferrets...you name it, they will tell people to care for chins like they are a completely different species. People just don't know any better and don't seek out better advice.

Honestly, the Duritos and the popcorn probably isn't as bad as pizza crust. :p But, the chin is in a good place now so he'll be loved and cared for properly. Hopefully he doesn't have any lasting effects from a poor diet.

I am so glad that poor little chin went to a loving home! The two chinchillas that we had in animal care at my high school didn't last long because people just don't know how to look after them :[ when I got my chin, the pet store employees were so thorough in telling me the basics, and in making sure I knew my stuff before I bought him! It makes me so angry that people think they should have one because they're cute, but then not look after them! Thankfully your story has a happy ending though!

It sounds like he is doing good at his new home. The tech who took him home is a sweet lady and I know she'll be good to him. Poor little dude, though.

Yeah, I think the folks who had him...figured they could feed him like they thought he was a trash can rat. Just so frustrating and weird.

I wish there was some way of tracking down these people and force feeding them things which will make them ill! -Seething-

People don't know there is a chin world online, most people don't realize all of the specialty groups and sites exist. They get a pet at the petstore, and start with bad info there, then a friend remembers they knew someone who had one, and they loved eating *whatever bad food*, and it progresses from there. In the end it's generally ignorance.

why even buy a chin if you arent going to treat it right?

not that I'm saying its okay by any means to mistreat a cheaper animal but why spend so much on a chinchilla just to feed it the wrong food and probably kill it and lose all your money?

if you're going to invest in something like a chinchilla you should be willing to spend a little bit more money for proper food and nutrition.

the only correct info i got from the pet store was that a chin is nuctornal all over stuff was wrong i was reading on line about food and temperature too keep a chin in and all the rest of my info i got from this site thank you very much :)

So good to see that this had a happy ending! I saw a post on Instagram the other day where a couple of chin owners were discussing someone they knew who let their chin out to play and went to work and found it dead in the toilet. It is one of the saddest things I've heard I couldn't stop thinking about it, and seeing this made me feel better. It's so completely upsetting how people don't properly think through getting an animal. Seeing this little buddy find someone to go home with who will love him was so happy. :) :)

Latest posts

Back