oh my, i didnt know wolves were this big!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillalover0927

to many chin chips??
this wolf was shot in laurel, ms...not far from us he weighed 260 pounds!!!!!!!!!!! i would potty all over myself if i ran into him in the woods lol

383030786.jpg

That's a shame, then. They usually don't get to thrive long enough to grow that size any more. They used to be that big everywhere. There's reference to wolves taller than a man's stirrup in the Laura Ingalls Wilder "Little House on the Prairie" books.

Poor wolf. I hope it was killed for good reasons..

I knew they could get so big. Last time my dad went hunting he saw a pack of wolves in his scope and he could tell that one of them was really large. Like probably the size of that one.

I don't know of many people who can hoist up and hold 260 pounds. Maybe it's real, but you would think you would have heard of a 260 pound wolf slinking around at some point.

Either way, it's a darn shame that it had to be shot instead of relocated.

The edges of the fur (especially the underside of the tail) lead me to think this is photoshopped. If the story's true, it's a real shame. I remember a couple of stories from Truckee of bears being too close to residential areas and finding themselves on the wrong side of a shotgun (or whatever is used to shoot bears). It's too sad when animals (have to) die for doing what their nature tells them.

If this picture is authentic this would be a black wolf. I'm not sure they are indigenous to Mississippi. While some dogs are much larger than their normal weight--they normal weight for a male black wolf is 95--100lbs and the females are around 15lbs less than that. This seems highly unlikely. And it's rather disturbing to me to see such a magnificent creature killed and lofted for a kudos to the jackass who killed him.

Hmmm...

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3223591/1http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3223591/1

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=477318

http://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=368450&forum=36

Searched online and everyone knows somebody who knows somebody who killed this wolf. Funny that they claim it happened in many different locations in North America. I hope it was photoshopped (likely) but either way its really sad. :(

if it isnt photoshopped i feel sorry for the wolf,he was a beauty..if it is they did a pretty good job lol and yes i noticed now how that one wolf was shot everywhere lol

A thing to remember, if it is photoshopped, the shopper would have taken a picture of a dead wolf and messed with proportions. Either way, a wolf died, almost certainly shot by a human.

Some day man will truly rue the day he has gone against nature. I'm tired of the issues with the wolf. My father and I argue this point often--he says it's all right to hunt them as they encroach on our farms and they have no natural enemies. I love my father very much but bull**** dad! We as humans took over their land! I'm tired of everyone being okay with the circle of life when a bald eagle swoops down and snatches a bunny or a lion goes after a herd of zebra and takes one, or even the killer whales going after sea lions and penquins--how come all of those examples of circle of life are okay but not a wolf taking a cow, or a horse or a sheep? You never see those on National Geographic. But for that matter you never find a documentary on men hunting the beautiful wolf as well.

So someday man you will rue the day you messed with our Mother Earth.

I think the picture is photoshopped, not sure why someone would do that considering with a quick google search you can find black wolves that have been shot by hunters. I think the size is definitely exaggerated. I own 2 70 lbs dogs and when my 5' 10" husband holds them (alive at that) they look rather large in his arms. A wolf has a super furry coat and therefore is going to look a LOT bigger. My neighbor owns two wolf hybrids, a male and a female. The male is probably over 100 lbs, if he were shot and my husband were to hold him it would make an impressive photo.

I highly doubt the animal was shot in the S. US, probably in Alaska or Canada. Unless the wolf is a hybrid, like my neighbors dogs. A good friend of mine owned a non wolf hybrid black dog that easily weighed 125 lbs, we called him Bear. He was HUGE and FURRY. A bad photo could have easily been taken and then used as a "wolf" photo.

Latest posts

Back