Nuvaring?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leah

We were discussing this and other sorts of birth control in chat the other night.. Other than Mel being the spokesperson for depo ;) , what kinds of BC do y'all use? I've tried to Ortho Evra patch this patch year and don't care for it. I'm going to try Nuvaring starting Aug. 1. Ever use it??

When my sister and I started BC our doctor put me on Yaz and my sister on Ortho Tri-cycline. I got really sick on Yaz so my doctor switched me. I'm just on a generic of Ortho now and it's worked really well the past couple years. No bad side effects, I'm as regular as I'll get, and my cramps are virtually non-existent (my family suffers from severe cramps to the point we have to just curl up in a ball and cry). ;)

I haven't tried any other BC's though so I can't help you there...sorry!

I just started the Nuvaring a few months ago. So far so good, I have had no side effects and no breakthrough bleeding. I was really paranoid about it falling out at first, but got over that pretty quick. It's much better than the pill. But I am switching to a copper IUD soon, as it doesn't release hormones, and lasts up to 10 years.

Yeah, I looked into the Mirena, but it gives off hormones, and I am really trying to get away from all of the medication. With my allergies and asthma I am on TONS of medication and it sucks!

good thread............cause i just switched from the generic ortho to Yaz. i asked my doc to switch because a few days before i am due i get wicked headaches, almost migraine. i monitored this for 4 months and it is always on the wed or thurs before and last 1 to 5 days.

Tabitha--what were the side effects? I just started sunday and have been ok.

I use Depo Provera, but it really is NOT for everyone. I got horrible side effects the first year but now they've stopped. It's a rather controversial method but that's what I use.

I've been on NuvaRing for awhile now, I think 1-2years and I have no bad things to say about it. I've never had one break, or fall out or any other issues.
The reason I'm on it is because of the low amount of estrogen and it's been working well for me. I like the fact that you don't have to worry about a pill everyday.

My bc is - hubby got a vasectomy 7 years ago :dance3:! I was on every type of bc before his "v" and I had every side effect that came with it, heavy bleeding, cramps, nausea, migrains. Not all at the same time though, yeesh. He said that I've paid my dues, especially with my last baby who weighed in at 10 pounds 8 ounces!

I used Nuvaring in '06. It caused me to have extremely heavy periods. I complained about it to my doctor, and was told that I just needed time to adjust to it. Five months after I started Nuvaring, I ended up in the hospital because I was bleeding so heavily. I needed blood transfusions, and was very anemic for a long time. Now I use Yaz... love it. Short, light cycles, and it controls PMDD. I also gained weight on Nuvaring... none on Yaz. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yeah, I looked into the Mirena, but it gives off hormones, and I am really trying to get away from all of the medication. With my allergies and asthma I am on TONS of medication and it sucks!

If you're trying to stay off hormonal meds, then your only options are condom (male or female versions), the copper T, abstinence, tubal ligation (or vasectomy for him) or assorted foams, creams, and jellies either with or without a cervical cap or diaphragm.

My understanding about the Mirena is that its effects are more localized than something like the BCP... so it's a lesser hormonal load.

Yes, that's why I have opted for Paragard, a copper IUD with no hormones. It's expensive though. $500 plus when you include tax and shipping, plus they insist that the patient place the order for it anfd pay up front before they will ship it to your doctor's office. The process of getting it has been a pain, but it will sure be worth it if I don't have to worry about birth control for the next decade.

I know one thing to look into, if you want to have children at some point, is the increased risk of infertility of internal b/c. I remember hearing about that before when I was considering what kind of birth control I wanted to go on. I ended up going with Yaz due to my emotional roller coaster at "that time" and my heavy cramps.

I used Nuvaring in '06. It caused me to have extremely heavy periods. I complained about it to my doctor, and was told that I just needed time to adjust to it. Five months after I started Nuvaring, I ended up in the hospital because I was bleeding so heavily. I needed blood transfusions, and was very anemic for a long time. Now I use Yaz... love it. Short, light cycles, and it controls PMDD. I also gained weight on Nuvaring... none on Yaz. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Yikes! I actually have a much shorter and lighter period since I've been on it. It just goes to show that BC works differently in different people.

I used the ring for 2 months. We did not get along. Well we did except for the fact I felt it during the reason for needing it and it hurt like crazy.

I was on Yazmin first...not Yaz...and I loved it. Now its the generic of Yazmin, but I really wish I didn't have to take a pill.

Anyone have other good suggestions for a non bill BC asides condoms that I can still later have kids in like 10 years?

I know one thing to look into, if you want to have children at some point, is the increased risk of infertility of internal b/c. I remember hearing about that before when I was considering what kind of birth control I wanted to go on. I ended up going with Yaz due to my emotional roller coaster at "that time" and my heavy cramps.

The point of BC is to make you infertile. As for the lasting infertility effects, I haven't found anything about it while researching, nor is there any disclaimer on the birth control information packet. You would think if there were a link or even a slight risk of long lasting infertility, even AFTER getting off of it, it would be listed in association with the product.
Do you have any sites which discuss this?

If you're trying to stay off hormonal meds, then your only options are condom (male or female versions), the copper T, abstinence, tubal ligation (or vasectomy for him) or assorted foams, creams, and jellies either with or without a cervical cap or diaphragm.

Another option is Natural Family Planning. And even for those who do not use it for moral reasons, it works well in helping you learn about your body and to know what is regular for your body and what is not. When used correctly, it is just as effective as artificial birth control. This does require dedication though that many artificial birth controls don't require.

Anyways.. as for me, I don't use any so I can't give an input on that. I did take ortho for acne when I was younger but will not use ABC when married for the negative side affects that some of them can have. Probably not the place to get into these things, but just to show there is another option out there.

Another option is Natural Family Planning. And even for those who do not use it for moral reasons, it works well in helping you learn about your body and to know what is regular for your body and what is not. When used correctly, it is just as effective as artificial birth control. This does require dedication though that many artificial birth controls don't require
Well, kind of on that same note, I can't use birth control since I'm allergic to it. Instead I use what is referred to reversed planned parenthood. There are online calendars and information on it, but basically it teaches you to know when you are fertile and when you are not (or less fertile). I've been um...using this method for many years and its worked thus far, knock on wood....

Oh, and there is this other thing (I haven't used it yet) that you lick in the morning and it measures your salts and minerals and its a pretty accurate indicator of how fertile you are depending on the crystal structures. I believe you can find it in most pharmacies, and its called an Ovulation Microscope (or something to that degree).

Latest posts

Back