Not Buyer Beware, but Seller Beware

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarinuto

chin smitten
I've been going through a horrific experience with a buyer and thought that maybe it would be good for us to air our bad buyer experiences...

Anyone else have a crappy time with someone? What happened?

We all have. I had someone threaten to call DCFS and have my daughter removed because I would not sell them the chinchilla they wanted. I pretty much said go ahead. but it got so bad I had to take all the emails to the sherifs and a lawyer. sad thing was he was a professional with a buisness

I posted about 2 years back.. But I had someone come to my house to see my available chins. I showed them everyone I had for sale. They turned around and saw a big "squishy" chin in a cage (he happened to be one that was shown, and I was keeping to breed for myself as he did well). They demanded that they were going to purchase him. I explained that no, he was one I am keeping and the only animals for sale were the ones they were specifically shown. They left and said they would be calling back after they made their decision.

Next thing I know I have an e-mail in my inbox from the shelter I adopted my dog from, and took rescue chins from stating that I was reported to them for "pelting and killing chinchillas in my livingroom" and for abuse towards my chinchillas, that they were living in cages they couldn't turn around in. (I have both pet cages and standard sized runs). Thankfully when I mentioned the name of who I thought would report me, and told them why I figured it was them, they told me not to worry that it was just a case of a buyer not getting what they wanted.

Thanks to this, I have not allowed customers into my personal home.

That's terrible Megan.

I have way too many bad buyer stories to even begin to share all the bad experiences I've had.

I remember years ago I refused to sell a mosaic chin to someone and he called game and fish and told them I was breeding exotic animals. That was fun because when they showed up here I had no idea of what they were talking about...and chinchillas aren't considered to be something that is illegal to own. They were puzzled, too.

People lie to me, they are rude, they make threats, etc. However, there are good customers out there, more than bad, but the bad ones are just so awful that they stand out more.

I've been very lucky over the years to have good customers. I do not allow people to see my breeding herd and have an area set up inside my house to show the chins I'm choosing to sell.

I did have a bad run-in with someone that eventually became a breeder.

At that point I'd known them for about a year and they came to pick up some females to breed. They flipped about some runs I'd picked up when they came to my place. I didn't know about it, but they went home, got drunk and I mean really flipped, had kittens all over the forums, chats, had other breeders contacting me... I got calls for a long time after that about housing them. It was a mess. I was using standard breeding runs I'd picked up at Ronda's, so I couldn't figure out what the problem was or who was complaining.

Ironically, three months later they ended up buying a bunch of runs and starting a herd of their own. They apologized but the damage and mess was already done.

It was a very bizarre experience.

It's always a bizarre experience! LOL I've been threatened a few times about things and it's always strange.

There was one time that someone started demanding a refund for something out of the blue and when I said that I didn't have any money to pay then right then they told me to go sell my blood to pay them. Seriously? Do people think before they say such a thing? The funny thing was my contract said that I didn't owe them anything at all, so I am guessing they threw it away. I hope that this one person has a completely miserable life for the way that they treated me. If they are used to talking to people like that, I am pretty sure that he and his girlfriend probably don't have many friends.

In the end, I usually end up being completely ripped off no matter what. Yay.

I greatly dislike when people come to look at chins and think EVERY chin is for sale. I'm not a pet store. I've been simply getting out the chins that are available and putting them on the table under the lights, show them what's available, and let them look at the other chins, parents, etc. if they want. They usually do. But I shouldn't have to explain to people that every chin here is not for sale. Well... maybe if we're talking blank check... lol. But yea. I'm sorry you want a $75 pet chins and I won't sell you a $300 color champion for that. Duh.

I've never had any big issues, but I'm sure the day will come. I try to talk to people before I sell to them several times to kind of get a feel for the weirdo's.

I'm sorry you want a $75 pet chins and I won't sell you a $300 color champion for that
I started telling people $300 and $400 when they wanted my breeders. Sold a dark tan for $300 a few weeks ago - much to my shock. People never leave with what they come looking for. It's strange.

I have several breeders I wouldn't sell for $400, because I couldn't replace them for that, there is a lot to be said about being familiar with what a chin produces. :D

I have a lot of people who leave with what they come for, often with maybe an extra too, lol. I get annoyed with the people who want millions of pictures, weights, finger prints, sleeping and pooping schedules, and a full DNA work up... on every animal for sale. I understand that you're trying to find the right pet for you, but then it might just be easier for you to come and see them in person. I've found that many times these types of buyers end up flaking out or buying from someone else (often a pet store) after you've spent tons of time with pics and communications.

I have several breeders I wouldn't sell for $400, because I couldn't replace them for that.
I don't show people those ones. :p Just had this one in the grower cage babysitting. They came for a baby and left with an eleven month old dark tan, go figure. If I am showing very young babies I'll put a calm mom in the with them to babysit. It helps keep them from getting scared in the new larger environment. Doughboy used to do it for me, he was good at that.

I get annoyed with the people who want millions of pictures, weights, finger prints, sleeping and pooping schedules, and a full DNA work up... on every animal for sale.
lol @ the DNA workup... but agreed! It is difficult to get those same people to come visit in person.

Here is one that happened again this afternoon. I recieved an email from someone a couple days ago looking to buy a chin - ok, I give them the chin info, my cell number and tell them I live in Lafayette. I get a call when I am an hour across town from some random person saying "I just got into Lafayette to pick up the chin". I'm like WHAT? Who are you? Which chin? The lady had driven two hours to a strange city with no info other than my cell number to pick up a chin! This happened in November with a couple from Mississippi. That's a long drive to hope someone will be around. She waited for an hour for me to get back too.

I get annoyed with the people who want millions of pictures, weights, finger prints, sleeping and pooping schedules, and a full DNA work up... on every animal for sale. I understand that you're trying to find the right pet for you, but then it might just be easier for you to come and see them in person. I've found that many times these types of buyers end up flaking out or buying from someone else (often a pet store) after you've spent tons of time with pics and communications.

I so hear you on this one. I know people make jokes about me not taking pictures, but I've had this crap happen so many times it's ridiculous. You jump through hoops, get weights, take a picture of the left armpit, pictures of the parents, because of course that makes all the difference when someone is buying little Smookie as a pet. Then you show up on the forum and it's "Hey everybody! Look at my new chin I got from the petstore/Craigslist/breader down the street!" Thank you, sincerely, for wasting my time.

Honestly? I could take a picture of one standard and send it to everybody every time they ask for a picture and you know what? No pet person would know the difference. Same thing with anything but a white, and then it would only matter if the white was marked.

I know what you mean on that Peggy, if I don't label pics of some chins I take pics of, I can't tell which pic is of who, especially if a week has gone by. A picture of a standard kit looks a lot like a picture of a standard kit! LOL And kits change so much in a matter of a week or two as well! Whites can change lighter, beiges can get darker, kits can get fatter, or hit a growth spurt and look gangly... ( weird, spell check says that's not a real word... )

I don't mind getting pics or information, especially if someone is going to buy them and have them delivered to a show or what not, but sometimes there comes a point when it's over the top. Or the people who ask for more pics when you've sent six, we all know how hard it can be to get a pic of a chin who's sitting still! Or the can I get a "new" pic, when the one you send them is only a couple days old. I can guarantee you that he hasn't grown extra fingers or another tail in that time...:thumbsup:

I agree Peggy, I am guilty of doing this with baby and adult pictures. Been making sure I re-save them so the date changes. Haven't had anyone say anything yet, but some of my pics are from 2003.

You could always share your pictures with the forum. We love and appreciate pictures. :D

thought I was the only one doing this. I have a list of pictures with the colors that I send people who want pictures of a chin they are thinking of buying. I tell them that the chins often change with the weeks. They never know that the picture is really of some other baby chin I took months/years ago. I think the picture thing is ridiculous. Standards/bieges look like standard/beiges. Most ebonies/tan change colors (depth of darkness). Mosaic almost always looks nothing like when they are real young.

Where to begin....
I think the last one took the "cake" so to speak.
Person wanted to buy a male chin I had listed. Liked his photo. Talked to the person by phone. ( many times ) So far so good. Sends money for him directly.
Person also said they had a sick female chin and asked me what to do. I told the person they should contact a vet and offered a few ideas in the meantime. ( and gave out my vets name since they said they couldn't find anyone )
Well that night I meet a total stranger at my vets office and the chin is very ill. Sadly it passes away in the evening at the vets office. Not sure why. I was glad the kits were weaning age and had a dad to warm and comfort them.

Several days later the person mentions buying several other animals and the cost of feeding her existing animals was expensive. So I mention an Ag store and all the while my phone is ringing or the person is sending emails.
Now the person asks if I have others available. I send info on my trio of pet quality girls.

Person says they would like the girls too. But wants the funds she paid beyond the deposit for the male sent back and will pay the entire balance when she picks them all up. WHAT?? :hair: Keep in mind its a money order that was sent. NO PAYPAL transaction on this one.
The last email from the person is addressed as: HOLA COMO ESTA
I'm thinking....what the heck!! I was convinced I was going to open a virus.

Okay that was enough for me.
A) Going from "zero to 60" adopting chins
B) Worried at the cost of feeding existing animals
C) No idea how to care for sick chin
D) Sending me e-mails saying I won't answer them. Not answering the phone ( the last call I didn't hear )
E for ENOUGH ) Wanting money sent back to Paypal account. There was no paypal account!!!

I bought a money order for the entire amount. Copied it and sent it back letting the person know the adoption(s) were cancelled. Well of course they were angry. Called my phone and left a message saying they no longer wanted any contact from me.
A couple weeks later I get an e-mail saying they have an emergency. I did not respond. Call the vet.

After reading previous bad stories I am no longer going to show my herd room. And I contacted a rescue here in Virginia and told them to be mindfull of above person .........just in case.

Last edited:
I had one woman who wanted photos of my chins that I was trying to rehome. She asked when she could come to see them and i told her that we did not allow people in our house to see them but I'd be more than willing to send photos. so as her request I sent her numberous photos. She wanyed to see them IN there cages to see how they were cared for.

Ok so I sent her photos of what she wanted . In the end she tells me she isn't interested because she cabt see in person how my animals are cared for and she doesnt want to take the chance. Needless to say I did kind of snap at her because I felt very insulted that i sent her proof of how my animals were cared for and she still insulted me by saying I must be lying because i don't want her in my house !!!! And to know I spent all that time sending her photos for nothing ! She then called me a 15 yr old back yard breeder because i was trying to sell her pedigreed pet only adults that i needed to rehome ????

But it eventually came out that she was the one wanting a breeding female when I only had pet females for rehoming.....she slipped up when we started arguing .

I don't have "stock" photos that I use, but I don't always update the pics, I'll just send the ones I already have. Depending on the person I'll do more or less. If it's someone wanting the cheapest animal I have "just for a pet", I do a lot less. If it's someone wanting a potential breeder, I get pics, because animals aren't all equal. I could sure tell you if I saw a pic of a smooshed face blocky kit, and get a rat faced wedgey one instead, I'm sure others could too. I'll sometimes send an older pic I already have, especially an adult animal, they're not changing all the time like a kit will.

Usually if a person I don't know, or know of, starts asking about the most expensive chins I have available without giving me any background on them, I don't put much effort into it. A pet owner will usually tell you about themselves, especially if they're going to spend a lot of money.

I would NEVER send pictures of other chins to someone who wanted a chin for breeding. They would get the actual chin. I only send 'stocked' pictures to pet people who really wouldn't know the difference

One thing that I have to admit is that I really hate sending people pictures for all the reasons mentioned previously. I will spend a couple of hours taking pictures for people, send a nice email with descriptions of the personalities and explain about every little detail of the chins and be willing to bend over backwards to help someone with not only buying a chin but also with everything that comes after the sale. Do you know what happens? NOTHING. They don't ever even bother to say thank you for my work, they don't say that they are sorry for wasting my time. I get no email back from them at all to tell me that they decided to go with a petstore chinchilla....because the one chin at the petstore is enough for them to choose from but here they would need pictures of dozens of chins to make a choice? Many people are stupid and very inconsiderate and I don't have a problem saying that. At least they screen themselves out for me, right?

What I do now is I make sure that people know exactly what they want. We narrow it down and I take pictures of ONE chin and we can go from there. I'm very sick of people acting like there isn't a human being on the other end. When they ask for something I have to go do it and make time for it in my schedule.

Latest posts

Back