Not been a good two days

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ticklechin

Last sunday I noticed when Lu was playing he would run, stop and itch his eyes, and he kept doing it. So I do a exam, no runny eyes and the rims look good so it was dust or something I think. Next day same thing but now we have some moisture and the rims look pink, both eyes which is strange for a infection. Check out the mouth, incisors look a bit long-strange but I see no moisture. Start him on ointment and make the vet appointment for Sat and watch him like a hawk for signs of malo. Took him in and he is a spaz like usual, white fur flying everywhere but he wore himself out and calmed down enough for the exam. Dr. Nakamura looked at the eyes, the rims look a bit pink but it did not look like a infection so we are looking for my worst nightmare, malo. Adobe pet hospital just moved and went through I would guess a million dollar + renovation on the new building so they have a actual dental suite and new cool tools. So he gets this tool that acts like a speculum with a fiberoptic light and sticks it in and opens the whole mouth up wide giving a great view of the entire mouth, then he says Uh OH, there is a point and I start to sweat bad since he leaves abruptly and does not elaborate. He comes back with this other tool and says lets nip it off, back in the mouth, nips it off and gives it to me. The rest of the mouth looks awsome, said the incisors were a tad long but not worth trimming and did not feel a x-ray was needed at this point and not sure why the stray point. He gave me a steroid eye drop which after some back and forth about steroids they are Ok for eyes and should help with the itching.

So this morning at 5am we were awoke by the house generator kicking on by a power outage and the install was not sucessful since only 1/2 the house worked and their room was dark. Rig up some power and let them play, everything was normal. I service cages and then collect the chins. While doing this I collect Guido and John calls for help so I leave him in his carrier and come back 10 min later to a limp chin who looks like he is dying, he in on his side and completely limp when I pick him up, he was normal 10 min prior and normal during play. I scream to John to call the vet and tell them I am on my way with a dying chin, I rush there and when I get there he is upright but acts like he is drunk, the vet tech comes out and looks at him and gets the emergency exam room ready. 10 min later he is normal so he had a seizure is the diagnosis but why, he is 10 years old.

My question is has anyone heard or or know of a older adult chin having a seizure out of the blue? Our guess the vet and I is a low blood sugar seizure based on the symptoms and when it happened, right after play.

Last edited:
Sorry you've had a rough couple of days, Dawn. :(

I'd agree with you about the fit - I have known older chins become a bit more susceptible to fits after exercise - I guess theoretically they can become "brittle" with sugar like young chins can. Does Guido run like a loon? Would the generator kicking in have startled him perhaps & he's run about in a bit of a panic for a moment? How long had he been out for?

I have wheels in the playpens and they run on them like crazy-I did hear him running on it, both him and Lu. The play pen room was dim since it only had one small lamp on just enough for me to see them to catch them so they were more frisky this morning than usual maybe because it was dim in there. He was out for 45 min or so and the generator was already on prior to play. I wonder if I should give him something prior to play from now on? I did with Meegus when she had a seizure but she was young so this whole seizure thing in him being older had thrown me off. I gave her raisins before I knew better so what would be a good something to give? Maybe a bit if dyne?

Last edited:
I'm sorry Dawn, I just wanted to post and say that I hope that that was a fluke point in Lu's mouth and that his eyes get better asap and the same with Guido. :hug4:

Maybe he just overdid it then. Tell him to act his age! ;)

Sorry Dawn, I am not familiar with Dyne. Would it be considered as more carbohydrate & less sugar than a raisin? Would the 'effects' of it last longer than the sugar rush of a raisin?
I'd be tempted to give him something before his run (preferably something with a carbohydrate & sugar mix if possible) & maybe reduce his time a little & then work back up again.
I'd treat him like a grandpa for a while & see how he does - putting him in a rocking chair with a blanket over his knees might not be appropriate though :innocent:

Last edited:
Maybe he just overdid it then. Tell him to act his age! ;)

Sorry Dawn, I am not familiar with Dyne. Would it be considered as more carbohydrate & less sugar than a raisin? Would the 'effects' of it last longer than the sugar rush of a raisin?
I'd be tempted to give him something before his run (preferably something with a carbohydrate & sugar mix if possible) & maybe reduce his time a little & then work back up again.
I'd treat him like a grandpa for a while & see how he does - putting him in a rocking chair with a blanket over his knees might not be appropriate though :innocent:

This is dyne, what do you think? What would you use?

Ingredients:
Soybean Oil, Sucrose, Non-Fat Dry Milk, Propylene Glycol, Egg White, Glycerine, Polysorbate 80, Pectin, Gum Arabic, Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Vitamin A Palmitate, Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3), dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Niacin, d-Pantothenyl Alcohol, Riboflavin 5 Phosphate, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vanilla extract, FD&C Yellow #5.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude protein (min) 1.9 %
Crude Fat (min) 48.3%
Vitamin A (min) 1790 IU
Vitamin D3 (min) 186 IU
Vitamin E (min) 4.5 IU
Niacin (min) 1.92 mg
D-Pantothenyl Alcohol (min) 1.13 mg
Vitamin B6 (min) .18 mg
Riboflavin (min) 0.25 mg
Thiamine (min) 0.18 mg
Folic Acid (min) 0.04 mg
Moisture (max) 18%
Vitamin C 175 IU
Vitamin B 12 .71 mcg

I'm sorry you had a tough time these last couple of days.

Has Lu been chewing his wood and toys much lately?

About poor Guido, I would perhaps give him a treat that is grain-based before playtime (maybe a chin cookie with an oat base and a tad of blackstrap molasses). That way it will provide a longer-lasting energy source rather than a sugar spike and drop like a raisin would.

I hope everyone is feeling better. Tell your crew, "no more scaring momma!"

That seems more calories from fats than anything else - you could try it & see if it works. It's not something I have experience with TBH.
I'd be more tempted to try a blob of Lifeline paste with a little honey or Karo syrup maybe or a shredded wheat with a bit of molasses/karo/honey on the tip or even a few Beaphar nuggets with a little karo/honey/molasses - that way he'd get carbs & some glucose which combined should last for his run.

Dawn, I'm sending good thoughts your way! I hope everything turns around pronto for you and your gang

wow its scary how much can happen in so short a time! i hope everything calms down for you and your little guys get better.

I'm sorry you had a tough time these last couple of days.

Has Lu been chewing his wood and toys much lately?

About poor Guido, I would perhaps give him a treat that is grain-based before playtime (maybe a chin cookie with an oat base and a tad of blackstrap molasses). That way it will provide a longer-lasting energy source rather than a sugar spike and drop like a raisin would.

I hope everyone is feeling better. Tell your crew, "no more scaring momma!"

Lu was acting like Lu always is, his weight is steady, toys chewed, food and water gone as usual, bright and active. The point was the top right front tooth aiming front and slightly towards the cheek, no other points and good wear on the occlusal surfaces. I noticed this morning at play that I saw no more itching so I will watch him this evening and see if he is still doing it. I have no idea what the correlation between the eyes and the point was unless it was his way of showing a pain response?

That seems more calories from fats than anything else - you could try it & see if it works. It's not something I have experience with TBH.
I'd be more tempted to try a blob of Lifeline paste with a little honey or Karo syrup maybe or a shredded wheat with a bit of molasses/karo/honey on the tip or even a few Beaphar nuggets with a little karo/honey/molasses - that way he'd get carbs & some glucose which combined should last for his run.

Guido is a LL addict, I give all mine LL daily as treat so adding honey to that sounds like a good idea and rather than giving it after play before they go back to their cages, I will give it before play.

The only change I found out in the play pen was I forgot to put a new wheat grass in there when I threw out the old one last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it since Guido is a wheat grass addict also? Wonder if the wheat grass was covering up a sugar problem?

Thanks for all the well wishes, I feel like such a wuss!~

The only change I found out in the play pen was I forgot to put a new wheat grass in there when I threw out the old one last night. I wonder if that had anything to do with it since Guido is a wheat grass addict also? Wonder if the wheat grass was covering up a sugar problem?
You might have found your answer, Dawn. :yes:

Have a look-see here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wisely-chosen/3287205560/
Because the wheatgrass grows so quickly in the warm conditions, the plant has a relatively high level of simple sugars and lacks sufficient time to convert these sugars into complex carbohydrates, vitamins, amino acids and other nutrients. Simple sugar levels may be a factor in the quick burst of energy that some users experience immediately after drinking the juice.

If that's true of wheatgrass juice then it is possible the same is true of the chins' wheatgrass (maybe). In theory if Guido stuffs his little furry face with wheatgrass then he may be giving himself a sugar rush which he didn't get last night. :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back