New Born Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sorry for your loss. Please do not blame yourself, it honestly sounded dim from the beginning. Somtimes things go wrong and no matter how hard we try we cannot save them. It's a fact of life, and a huge part of breeding. If you continue to breed, you'll know this feeling a lot :(

I'm so sorry they passed! Thanks for caring for them and doing what you could. You don't know, but maybe it was a blessing they died now, comfortably and peacefully, rather than later with their apparent deformity/problem, it could have been worse for them.

How's mom? Is she looking for her babies? So sad. I'm sorry. :tissue:

Mom seems okay. I put her cage back to normal so she has full run of her cage with shelves and I put the wheel back so she is thrilled with that. she loves her wheel. Twice yesterday she seemed to be looking for her babies she tore her cage apart and squeeked while doing it. This morning she seems to be better, eating hay and running around. How do moms usually act when kits die?
Do chinchillas usually hide/cover their dead? Yesterday mom tore her cage apart when the babies were still in there and she covered her first dead baby up. the only reason I know it died first was because it was cold and the other one was still warm when I took it out.

Poor momma, it's got to be hard on her at first. Did she show a lot of interest in them? I am wondering because usually mom knows if something is wrong and will kind of push a sick baby away and concentrate on the healthy babies. This is just speaking generally of animals, I'm not knowledgeable about chins and their parenting behaviors...

Do chinchillas usually hide/cover their dead? Yesterday mom tore her cage apart when the babies were still in there and she covered her first dead baby up. the only reason I know it died first was because it was cold and the other one was still warm when I took it out.
I'm not sure if they usually do - we've only had two babies die here - but the both times, we found them partially covered up with shavings.

I've had a couple of stillborns here. Both were found inside the chin house, uncovered. Mom just seemed to ignore them. In both cases, there was a living, healthy baby for mom to take care of.

So sorry for your loss. Another story of breeding not being all fluffiness and cute...

Bummer I am sorry. i kind of figured it would happen.

Mom and Dad both are restless both last night and this morning, when can I put mom back in with dad without her getting pregnant again. I know I have to get him fixed but I want them to have each others company after their kits dieing. When would you say it would be safe to have them together for a short period of time?

Mom and Dad both are restless both last night and this morning, when can I put mom back in with dad without her getting pregnant again. I know I have to get him fixed but I want them to have each others company after their kits dieing. When would you say it would be safe to have them together for a short period of time?

Never. If you put them together, even for a couple of seconds, you risk her getting pregnant again. If you don't want any more kits, the only way to ensure that is to keep the male and female apart all the time.

I agree with Tiatrack. Don't put them together again 'till after the male has been neutered and fully recovered from it. the chins may be missing their little one, but they will be fine. They don't need each other for comfort. You can spend time with them and they will be fine.

if you don't want babies- never. If you are trying to prevent her from getting pregnant right after delivery then 10 days.

they do not need to "comfort" each other. unfortunately, i have watched many females who loose their kits (just as all breeders do) and they do fine. we tend to project our emotions onto the chins.

if you plan on having more kits than you need not wait but if you plan on getting your male fixed you should wait till he is oked by the vet postop.

i am sorry for the loss of the kits.

I wouldn't breed that chin again. Has she been shown and judged to be breeding quality? Has the OP been informed of the lethal factor in breeding?

there is no lethal factor involved in this pairing since the OP said they were a Black and a Beige. I believe they came from a breeder (per her first post?) so there is some background info.

the fact that she lost the litter does not mean she should not be bred again. this can happen to animals that are (or later become) fine breeders. i would try them again if you want to breed them and if things do not go well this time, just don't breed them again. make sure you have read up and have your supplies for hand feeding should you choose to breed her again since she may need help again until her milk comes in. the weights of the kits were fine so who knows what went wrong...

I wouldn't breed that chin again. Has she been shown and judged to be breeding quality? Has the OP been informed of the lethal factor in breeding?

Yeah I agree with chinchildren. Also like I stated before if you don't want back to back pregnancies wait 10 days, if you don't mind then now is fine. Chinchillas do find comfort with their partners when "all" babies are lost. There is no doubt of that in my mind. Ultimately the decission is yours. Good luck

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to get my male fixed so the two of them can be together as they have always been. I don't want to breed them again. I don't want to go through this again and I also don't want mom to go through this again. I don't know what was wrong with them which is why I don't think they should breed again. If I knew they got injured from mom or beacsue she fell while pregnant then I might consider it down the road but i am not sure that the mom and dad did not cause this from poor genetics in some way. I witnessed mom trying so hard but I guess they were just not strong enough or they were injured too badly.
They have no teeth problems or any health problems at all. They are very healthy but the kits were not so healthy.

Dad is a hetero Beige
Mom is a black velvet
Moms parents were black velvet and beige.
Dad's parents were beige and ???? (I never saw the father).

how does the lethal factor usually work? Are the kits never born? Are they dead on delivery? do they die shortly after delivery? How does this work?

i never intended on breeding them in the first place.

You didn't have the lethal factor.... it is Velvet parent to velvet parent and white to white.

The eggs just don't fetilize and you have few offspring

Back