New Born Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinchillaOwner

This morning (Feb 8/09) my chinchilla gave birth to two kits. The kits were 3 days earlier than her due date. Neither one of them walks or moves around well. They move their legs, and body around but do not walk. They squirm around and roll around. Their eyes are open but they do keep them closed alot too. they squeek alot and move around when mom nudges them. What can I do? When they were born, I helped mom keep them warm as she seemed to only be able to tend to one at a time. They were dried off and given back to mom. She lays on them, but I don't know what to do to help them. Any advice? Is there something genetically wrong with them, not developed properlty? I am sick worrying about them. I cantacted a breeder who said just to leave them and let nature run it's course cause it doesn't look good but I can't not do anything. Any suggestions on what to do or what is wrong?

No, it does not sound normal. Do you have a scale? You should get one from the kitchen section in walmart or target, or the mail section in office max. Make sure it weight in grams. You should keep track of their weights. You should also get some goats milk (baking section, grocery store), some baby rice cereal, and lots of 1cc syringes without the needle or eye droppers in case you need to hand feed. It sounds to me like there may be a neurological problem, kits should be jumping around and climbing within hours of birth. Are they all like that? Is there one that seems more developed or bigger than the others?

Get prepared to hand feed, or rotate at the least. Read up on hand feeding. Check and see if mom has any milk, and give her an extra water bottle with 1/2 unsweetened apple juice. Make sure to change that 2 times daily. That will help the milk come in if she drinks more than usual.

Are they in a baby safe cage? Is this mom's first litter? Where is dad?

Their weights are okay, so they "probably" aren't premies, but you just don't know. Even though you think you saw a mating take place, the breeding could have actually occurred weeks later than you thought.

If they are not walking well or sitting upright, it's possible that they had a hard delivery and mom hurt them coming out. If that's the case, only time will tell if they will recover or not.

I would do as suggested above - read the FAQ's on caring for kits especially and get ready to hand feed. Some first time moms just don't know what they are doing and she may need some help. Her milk may not have come in as well. Watch their weight today, if they don't lose or lose a couple grams, that's fine. If by tomorrow they are not holding steady or gaining, I would start supplementing. You still want mom's milk, that's the most important thing, and the more they suckle, the better chance they have of bringing the milk in, but I would supplement a couple times a day, especially in light of their already being at a disadvantage.

I hope the kits do well for you. I third having some goats milk on hand-just incase- but for now I would let them with mom, and see what happens. I wouldn't pull them out much today. It's possible the kits were hurt while she gave birth, stepped on etc.

Just to update you, they are about the same as yesterday. Squeeking when mom is around and rolling, moving around with out walking. Their eyes are seldom open. Mom keeps them warm most of the time. I ahev goats milk and yogurt on hand to help suppliment but I am concerned that they seem so limp and don't move properly. Any further suggestions would be great.

I don't like the fact that they aren't using their limbs...Normal, healthy babies would be moving around fairly well... Makes me wonder what went wrong..Did mom hurt them? Were they hurt while being cleaned off? Was there anything they could have fallen from?

I hate to say it, but it doesn't sound good. If they are still loosing tomorrow, or haven't gained I would most likely try and give them something.

As far as 'letting nature take its course" sometimes its the hard, but right thing to do...my rule of thumb anymore when it comes to adults and the kits- If the animal is willing to right, I'll give it my all..If they give up, then I'll let nature do its thing and let them pass...

Try some gentle massage several times a day. Try gently moving their legs in a normal fashion. Use a slightly warm towel and rub them with it.

Other than that, there not much you can do but pray.

If they are loosing weight, is mom feeding them???

You may just have to stick to handfeeding-keep with an every two hour rule...and good luck. I lost a kit a few months ago, I know what you're going through.

You're in my thoughts...:heart3:

Not using their limbs is not a good sign. I would massage like peggy suggested and suppliment feedings. Is mom taking care of them? are they moving around anymore then the other day? Is there any improvment?

They are moving around more but in the same fashion as before. Mom seems to be keeping them warm but being that they don't move much I don't know if they are feeding. The smaller one was able to lift it's head this morning but no improvement with the legs. I tried to give them the goats milk/water and the smaller one took a bit but the larger one didn't take any.

Prior to mom giving birth i limiter her access to the lowere part of the cage with no shelves, wheels or anyhting other than her food, shavings, water and a blanket.

If mom is not feeding the kits how long will they last on average? I have started supplimenting but I want to know if I wasn't how long would they live? I think mom is trying to feed them but being that they don't move around to well I am not sure if they are eating. They look good, nice coats, nice teeth, eyes are clear (when they are open - which is not often). Does they eyes being closed mean that they are weak , or does that maybe suggest that they are premature?
I found the mating plug and counted my 111 days and she gave birth 2 days earlier than the 111 days but as someone else pointed out I am not sure that the mating plug I found was necessarily from when they were conceived. I suppose they could have mated and then conceived days or a week later.
Sorry for all the questions but I am doing my best to help the babies but I want to know why they are like this.

Last edited:
I think the best thing you can do at this point is weigh the kits and see if they are gaining weight. This is the only way to tell if mom is feeding them and will tell you how much to supplement them.

Even if you suppliment them when they are nursing it will not stop them from nursing. and I don't think a few days early would have made this problem. you just need to do what you can and hope for the best

Have you been keeping track of their weight??? If you even think mom isn't caring for them you have to start. Other wise they will die-end of story:cry4:

I would think even if they were 3 days early they should be doing just fine. IMO there is something wrong with them. What did you say the parents were? What are they? Maybe something hereditary? Has mom fallen prior to delivery? Maybe out at play time? I would be awful concerned. I would keep up the hand feedings. Try putting a drop on there lips and wait for them to lick it off and keep doing it. Maybe alternate them in and out with mom? If I had to guess I would say odds are against them. Keep us posted

Back