Need some advice on Pepper

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Sierrasmom97

If this is in the wrong thread, feel free to move it.

Let me give a little background on Pepper...
When I got him he was living in a back room of this ladies house. His cage was literally falling apart and he basically got no attention from anyone unless they decided to go back in that room. I am not sure how long this lady had him, but before she got him, he was a classroom pet and was tormented with the kids poking him through the cage etc.

He is friendly to an extent. You can reach in and pet his face or scratch his ears/cheeks. If your hands go anywhere near any other part of his body he yells at me and runs away. I have never held him. I have only had him a few months and I am not expecting miracles. I know chins take a long time to learn to trust us humans.

I guess my main concern is that he shows no interest in toys, treats or hay. He eats his pellets (Mazuri) and drinks water (filtered) and pretty much sits in his fleece tube 24/7 looking depressed. Any advice on how to get him to come around a little? He's so sad and I just wanna give him a big hug but he's not having no part of it.

Chances are, if he didn't have toys and fun things like that, he's just not used to them and doesn't understand the point probably. For things like that I would just give him time. Like you said, it can take time. Sometimes it can take over a year.

As for the no interest in hay, have you tried different brands/cuts/types? Some chins are very picky with hay and prefer a certain type. Personally I think that hay is important in a chin's diet so I would try different types until you can find one he likes.

Poor fella...I think just giving him more time is key. I would make it a point to visit his cage often and just talk to him. As far as the hay thing goes, I would do as Alli suggested and try different types/cuts of hay. I have one boy that will not eat loose Timmy Hay, but loves Timmy hay cubes...go figure. He loves Orchard Grass...that's his favorite. Maybe try a few different kinds.

Ditto on giving him time. Also, if you're up to the challenge, a buddy can sometimes help teach a chin how to be a 'chin' again. When I got Monaco, he was very shy, hid a lot, etc. Ignored his chew toys, wouldn't take treats, and all that. Once I got Cuda, and they were paired up, he realized that he could chew on the stuff i'd put in the cage, and treats were OK to take. Now, Monaco is also partially blind so that could have been a part of his 'problem' so to speak.

Aw poor guy, thanks for rescuing him
Have you chin-proofed the bathroom and let him out for supervised playtime? He might enjoy that. Don't worry about him not liking to be carried to/from the bathroom, you can try using the dust bath as a carrier or just ignore his protests. Don't forget to shut the toilet lid and wipe the bathtub dry. At first he may just sit there, but give him a few short times until he gets it.

Sorry its taking me so long to reply..we took off to the flea mkt for the afternoon.
I did read the threads from my blackberry.

I stopped on my way home and got him some oxbow hay and he sniffed it and went on. I have been feeding all my chins the kaytee loose hay (not the best I know) and they also have cubes. Everyone else likes it except him.

No, I hadn't tried pairing him with any of my other males. He is 5 yrs old and my other males are 2..does age make a difference? I tried pairing my other two males and it didn't go so well..I had to separate them almost immediately as fur was flying. He has always been by himself. I also have 2 male babies (3 months old) but they are already paired. Would it be ok to try to introduce him to the babies since they are young and may be more accepting of another male at their age?

I have to admit that I am afraid of being biten. I have read/heard that it hurts majorly so I have never forced him to come out of his cage. I figured I would be more successful if I let him do it on his own terms. He never gets play time outside of his cage for this reason. All 6 of my chins are in my living room so they are all well socialized.

With him not eating hay or chewing on any wood etc I am afraid his teeth are going to overgrow. I was told I should make a vet appt just to be safe.

Pairing him up with the younger two chins may be easier, but he will likely have to come out of his cage for this. Playtime/neutral area is the easiest way to start an intro. If you're scared of getting bit, get some gloves, but I've only ever been bitten once in four years of having chins, and I have chins that are extremely anti-hold. They tend to cry more than anything, but quickly settle down.

The vet appointment sounds like a good idea. It is rather odd that he will not eat hay or sticks or toys, so best to have it checked out.

Pepper has a 3:30 vet appt today (Ohio time). I will update everyone as soon as we get home. Hopefully its nothing serious.
Thank you to everyone for your advice

I was going to suggest that you start handling him more so that you can do his hair ring checks without too much stress. It is good be at least slightly comfortable with handling your chinchillas in case a day comes when you really need to do it. Most chinchillas do not like to be picked up. I would keep trying with the toys, eventually you have to find something he likes LOL. Good luck, keep us posted. If you have never done a hair ring check on him make sure the vet does and shows you how :)).

Just an update:

I have given this some time and pepper really isn't doing much better. He may eat a piece or two of hay but nothing to talk about. He still has no desire to chew on toys or anything. He does eat his pellets but that's about it.

His cage is about 5 ft from me while I am working and I have recently noticed that when he is sleeping it sounds like he is grinding his teeth.

Also I have noticed this smell on his face..I have no clue on how to describe it. Its only on his face, none of my other 5 chins have this smell..but its sort of sweet smelling.

I just checked on him this morning and his chin is wet..not a good sign :( I have made a vet appt for tomorrow afternoon.

My chin had those symptoms and he was diagnosed with a mouth infection. Yesterday was his last day on antibiotics. Over the next 2 weeks I will be watching him closely to see if any of the symptoms return and if so he will be sent for x-rays.
Let us know how you make out at the vet.

^ Did your chin have a bad smell near his mouth? I would think with an infection the odor would not be too pleasant. Pepper's odor is not repulsive like infection/bad breath..it is a tad sweet smelling.

yes the odor was unpleasant....not so much sweet. but still an option and hopefully an easy resolution and not the worst case scenario.

Has he been able to get at anything in the last few weeks? And if the molding or a painted surface? Or perhap a live plant? Many kinds of poisoning can have a sweet odor. But it could also be an infection, some of them don't smell foul but they do smell sweet.
Take him to the vet and let us know! Hope its good news.

No he hasn't got a hold of anything. I am hoping tomorrow turns out ok.

I'm assuming blood work would be the only way to tell that?!?

Any advice is welcomed :) I just want Pepper to get better...whatever is going on with him.

Back