My Fleece Repels Water...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a fleece liner for my boys cage and when i dripped water on it to test it just beads up on top of the fleece. I read that you should wash and dry your fleece a few times so I washed and dried it at least 5 times, after the liner was already sewn together. However it still repels water! Any suggestions? I didn't think the fact that the fleece was already sewn together would make a difference but maybe...

Don't use any fabric softener in the washer or drier as they will make it repel liquids.

Last edited:
What detergent are you using? Some laundry detergents have a fabric softener in them already -- I stick with vinegar and baking soda to wash my liners. It gets them clean, with no nasty chemically stench (not to mention it's cheaper), and there's nothing toxic left on the fabric to block it's absorbency.

Try washing it a few times, with just detergent or as Pyronymph suggested. It should be fine after a bit.

I was using a natural detergent for awhile and was having the same issue. It had coconut oil in it which was acting as a softener. While the liners were incredibly soft, they also didn't absorb anything. To make my laundry even cheaper I switched over to a homemade detergent, which has been doing wonders for my liners.

http://www.thehenpen.org/2011/05/homemade-laundry-detergent.html

It works itself to about $.08 a load and the liners come out perfectly clean and smelling fresh. Before that I used a regular detergent and vinegar though and it did also work well. Just make sure to stay away from any detergent with "a touch of softness" written on the label.

I was using a natural detergent for awhile and was having the same issue. It had coconut oil in it which was acting as a softener. While the liners were incredibly soft, they also didn't absorb anything. To make my laundry even cheaper I switched over to a homemade detergent, which has been doing wonders for my liners.

It works itself to about $.08 a load and the liners come out perfectly clean and smelling fresh. Before that I used a regular detergent and vinegar though and it did also work well. Just make sure to stay away from any detergent with "a touch of softness" written on the label.

Sounds interesting! May try that myself one day.

It was about $20 for all the materials, and that was purchasing them at walmart. It would probably be even cheaper if purchased online. The detergent in the picture is only a half batch and that is the same gallon container I have. It makes a ton and you only need to use 2 tablespoons per load. It doesn't get sudsy, but remember, bubbles don't mean clean. This cleans as well, if not better, than any commercial detergent I have bought. I made a half batch with no scent for the liners and one that is pomegranate passion fruit for my clothes. Yum!

What if you are allergic to lavender?

Technically fleece itself isn't all that absorbent. You could add a layer of terrycloth towel in between the fleece and that would make it a lot more absorbent. Fleece is polyester, a synthetic material so it doesn't absorb liquids very well, they tend to just pass trough it. This is why people who cloth diaper their babies use fleece as an outer layer to keep liquids in the diaper.

Latest posts

Back