My big news..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay Alli, congrats! It'll probably take more than 5 years for my boyfriend to propose!

Thanks everyone! It's all a little crazy to me. It definitely doesn't feel real yet. I'm used to just being a girlfriend, having been together for 5 years.

And Stacie, that's too funny. Well you know, I am glad that we waited so long. For us, it helped us really get to know each other and we've already worked through some tough spots so we have a head start on some things. Of course it doesn't mean it'll be perfect or anything, but I really am glad we've waited. But good luck in your relationship!! :thumbsup:

And Stacie, that's too funny. Well you know, I am glad that we waited so long. For us, it helped us really get to know each other and we've already worked through some tough spots so we have a head start on some things. Of course it doesn't mean it'll be perfect or anything, but I really am glad we've waited. But good luck in your relationship!! :thumbsup:

That's definitely a plus. We've only been together for a year now, and moving in together soon...so hopefully we'll have the same experiences as you two. :)

Congrats and your ring is beautiful.

Advice from a newly (6 months) married woman... Start saving ASAP. People told me how expensive it would be but you never realize untill you are the one shelling out the money. I expected to spend 1000 Dollars on dress, shoes, veil, and anything else I may be wearing down the aisle but I blew 1200 on my dress alone. We set very few budgets on things but everything we set, we broke.

That being said. Your wedding will feel like the best wedding you have ever been to. Have fun and take some time to take it all in (even though there is very little time to do so. I paid 70 bucks for my plate of food and ate the mashed potatoes off of it.)

Congrats again and many years of happiness to you and your future husband! Every so often, my husband and I still call each other husband and wife because it is fun and I still get butterflies when people call me Mrs. Z at school.

Congratulations! That's wonderful news and a beautiful ring! It's great that you have such a strong start moving into this new phase - all the best and have fun planning the wedding!

Congratulations! That's wonderful news. Weddings are expensive but not impossible on a limited budget the earlier you do your hunting around the better deals you can get on things.

Oh yes, I can already see how expensive it's going to be. I really want to not blow tons of money, as I've always been one to conserve money, I mean, I shop at thrift stores instead of buying new clothes. But I was just glancing at area photographers and they're around $1,500 for the basic package.

Hopefully I'll be able to find ways to save money with it all. I plan on making the invitations and things, I made my sister's for her wedding. And I want to look at last year's dresses and things, or the display ones, just to save some money. So we'll see!

Yay! Congratulations Allison! I love the princess cut diamond ring, it's beautiful! Much happiness to the both of you. I'm sure you are already brainstorming and as creative as you are, you're going to come up with lots and lots of ideas.

Hopefully I'll be able to find ways to save money with it all. I plan on making the invitations and things, I made my sister's for her wedding. And I want to look at last year's dresses and things, or the display ones, just to save some money. So we'll see!

I tried finding a cheap dress but couldn't do it. I tried on over 40 dresses and put the one I found on and that was it.

I don't know when you are looking at getting married but some people have off season discounts. Our photographer was discounted as well as the florist and some discounts at the hall. When you plan a wedding when they don't do much business, you can get some good deals.

The invitation's are a good idea. You can also find some print out place cards that look nice and are pretty cheap and easy. Just a little time consuming.

I remember looking at the sale sections of the gowns when my sister was looking at dresses. So I know the stores around here do have them, but of course with the economy the way it is, perhaps now they won't have as big of a selection. And, of course I want something that looks good, so who knows that I'll even be able to find something in the section.

If not, I'll just have to look at saving money elsewhere like the flowers or something.

And that's a good point about the off season. I also know it's cheaper for food if the reception is on a Friday night versus a Saturday since Saturdays are more popular. Since we're not set on a date and really don't have any time restraints, we could easily have it later next year versus the spring.

I got married on a Sunday before Labor Day and had lots of discounts because it was later in the season and a Sunday so double bonus!

Congrats Alli. You're ring is very pretty.

You said you wanted to do you invitations yourself. I think wal*mart has an invitation set or something along those lines. Where a picture (of you two) gets put on a card (included) and then the words are placed on a clear cover like place.Then the cover piece is placed of the card and a ribbon is tied at the top holding them together.
A friend of mine used them for her graduation invitations and they were really pretty. If you want I can take a picture of it for you.

Here's what I'm taking about. the first link is for wedding invitations, the second link is the ones that a friend of mine used.
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8000103

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11969209

Congrats again!

Yayyyyy! I had a feeling this was coming.. I remember you had mentioned something similar before........

Welcome to the engaged club, hunnie!!!! Love the ring. I prefer yellow gold too :) Because Scott & I's families are living in two different countries, its been so hard trying to organize everyone to get together. The last time we had a date set neither of our parents could go because they had undergone major (and unforeseen) surgeries... We decided to just do the court house thing.. and a few years down the road when we have the money, we'll have a small ceremony with both of our families present.

Last edited:
We also had a wedding planning book that allowed us to compare prices and people side by side and ask the right questions as we were going along.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1887169865/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/182-7095809-7222605?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=0VFSMTCWRVB93ZR4HEZS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_i=1934386405

Might be a helpful tool to consider. Also, When looking at photographers, we got two discs of our pictures with the rights to print them. One disk was high quality/definition and the other one was lower definition to put up on Facebook or wherever. This was a deal because we were off season but even without off season, it would have saved us some money rather than ordering from the expensive photographer.

Latest posts

Back