mm.. chinnie treats!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lynnengreatdanes

I went out and bought slow cook oats for Tohru today, and before I gave any to him I wanted to see if I had made the right treat choice. Obviously I cant give them very often so as to not mess with his daily diet but I love the idea of giving him a little special something now and then :) They are quaker traditional oats, the slooowww cook kind, not instant.
Also, any other good treat suggestions would be wonderful and soooo appreciated! Ive been reading the forum posts and even though a lot of sites and the books I have suggest raisins and small peices of apple it seems like this might *not* be the good thing to do. The last thing I need is for Tohru to get sick on me, poor lil fuzz.

I give all my guys a pinched of rolled oats mixed with crushed organic rose hips each night when they make they're way back to their cages. All I have to do is shake the treat container and they're running back to their cage waiting for hand outs.

O cool so they can have a pinch of oats daily? YAY :) I am hoping it will help me bond a little with Tohru to do a treatsies every day :)

Ok raisins are not really good to give, and apple definitely not, unless its dried but still probably not, if i were you i would stick to some oats and rosehips

One more thing, try and have a schedule for the oats, like when you say good bye in the morning or when they go home after playtime

Yeah, a pinch of oats a day is fine so long as it's not a handful or anything. I like to alternate what I offer each day though, I use the old fashioned oats, rosehips (either whole or crushed) a small non-frosted shredded wheat, and hibiscus petals when I have them.

non-sugared cheerio's
I buy a 4X4in. pot of organic wheatgrass in the grocery produce section and give them 2-3 stems 1 or 2 times a week.
chin safe apple wood sticks

Rolled oats are absolutey fine in moderation. Congrats on the new fuzz butt. :D

You can also give rosehips, a half of an unfrosted mini shredded wheat, and any boiled and baked chin safe wood (my boy's favorite is apple). I often give several apple stick a day instead of giving a "treat". They look at it like a treat anyway. I also give a small amount of rose petals and hibiscus petals when I have them.

Rolled oats are absolutey fine in moderation. Congrats on the new fuzz butt. :D

You can also give rosehips, a half of an unfrosted mini shredded wheat, and any boiled and baked chin safe wood (my boy's favorite is apple). I often give several apple stick a day instead of giving a "treat". They look at it like a treat anyway. I also give a small amount of rose petals and hibiscus petals when I have them.
Just taking petals off a rose is fine for a treat? Do you dry them or anything?

Yeah everything i use has never been sprayed, i think it would take at least 50 years for it to completely come off so i only use plants never treated

ooo I think I have some shredded wheat, its my hubby's favorite *steals it for chin purposes* although I already gave Tohru some rolled oats this am, and guess what? HE ATE THEM FROM MY HAND!! awwwwwwwwwwwww!!! he is sooo precious!! Tomorrow am we shall try a piece of the mini shredded wheat. :)

You might want to try rosehips, wood sticks, grapevine/willow toys and lava bites. Sesame just grabs them out of my hand, goes into her special spot and gobbles them up!

Oh yes, wheat grass. I grew some last year for Pip but haven't since I've moved. I grew some oat grass too if I remember right. I have to get busy and get some more growing.

PipGrass023.jpg

Oh yes, wheat grass. I grew some last year for Pip but haven't since I've moved. I grew some oat grass too if I remember right. I have to get busy and get some more growing.

PipGrass023.jpg

Oh yes! I have read about this before, it seems like a great thing to do! However I have also read you must feed it to them in extreme moderation because it can cause stomach upsets. Is this true?

I think it depends on the chin, like everything else. I free feed wheat grass to my two pets and they do spectacular with it. I've never had a problem with any soft poo or other tummy upsets. I just put it out every playtime and they eat what they want and go on with their playing.

Last edited:
My girls' ultimate favorite treat is the apple pellets from Carise over at forchinate chins. http://www.geocities.com/forchinatechins/
They only get them once in a great while - but oh boy when they do....I can just hear them thinking how much they love me!

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to get some clarification: apple pellets are ok to give as a treat, or no?

Back