Maybe I'm just not a cat person... can anyone give me tips on these kittens?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greychins

NWI Chinchillas
So... one of the managers at work had a cat that had kittens and so now I have two sibling kittens. They're cute and cuddly and driving me insane. They're 14ish weeks old.

Now, I hate to be one of those people that "doesn't give them a chance" to settle in before I rehome them. But I'm not sure if their behavior is going to change, and if it doesn't, I won't be keeping them. Maybe this stuff is normal cat behavior, and if that just means I'm not a cat person, I can live with that... and I will find them an awesome home if it comes to that.... but I thought I would get opinions from other people...

Ok, so....these cats shred any and all paper towels and toilet paper. For convenience reasons, I refuse to put these behind cabinets, especially the toilet paper, cause then I wouldn't be able to reach it from the toilet, where it's kind of....necessary.

They chew my papers. No matter what it is, if I leave it out, they chew it. Homework, schoolwork, printer paper, paperback books, if it's paper, it's chewed to shreds.

They get up on all the furniture. Ok, I know this is sort of a "cat thing," but I was told that if I sprayed em (with water) when they got up, they'd learn, "ok, I'm not supposed to get up there." Well.... they don't do it when I'm watching but they get up the second I turn my head. So they KNOW they're not supposed to get up there, but they seem to not care. Cause if I see them up there, like if I walk into the room and they're on the kitchen table, they get this deer-in-the-headlights look and jump off the table/furniture.

They are killing my houseplants. Let me note, they're all non-toxic. I had four, now I have two. The two that they killed were completely dug up from the dirt, and then they chewed on them so much that if I had wanted to replant them, I would have been replanting roots with very little green attached to them. So now I have two. And they DIG in the houseplants, so I have dirt scattered EVERYWHERE now. Not to mention if they keep it up, the remaining ones are gonna die and they are chewing them to pieces as well...

I don't think I'd mind them getting up on the furniture so much as the fact that they knock things over. I've had to pick up broken glass several times, cause they knock over things such as lamps, pottery, everything. Maybe I expect too much, but I really think if I put something on the table, I really like for it to be there a few hours later.

They looooove to chew on any cord that's electrical.

They have completely dragged my tablecloth (plastic) and everything on the kitchen table completely off the table SEVERAL times (again, breaking quite a bit of things in the process).

Now, I want to note, for all these things I do, if I see them doing it, they get sprayed. But I am gone for 8+ hours a day, I work and go to school, so I cannot supervise them 24/7. I assume this could be a consistency problem, because they are probably on the furniture all day and never get sprayed for it, but they do when I'm home, so they learn "I shouldn't get on the furniture when mommy's looking."

I have been told by several people that they may outgrow this... I know there's no exact science... but I need someone to define about what age a cat typically outgrows these things? Because it'd be one thing if they outgrow it at 6-9 months, versus 3 years.

Another thing. And maybe this is the I-may-not-be-a-cat-person coming out here, but I refuse to rearrange everything in my house for cats. Maybe that says I'm a cat person, but I refuse to put nothing on the kitchen table so there's nothing for them to break. I refuse to not have any pottery or decorations out on other tables and shelves, because the cats are gonna knock them over. It's just not happening. I like having my stuff the way it is and I won't make the house barren of any semblance of "me" just because I have cats.

Also, I have been told to buy a cage and keep them in it while I'm not home. While I can see the benefit of it... I must admit... while I am home, I still cannot watch them the entire time. Maybe my life is too busy for cats... I don't know... but when I come home from work/school, I typically have schoolwork to do for several hours, which according to my friends would be when I would let the cats out...and not be able to watch them. So while the idea's good in theory, in reality, I don't see it working.

So.... thoughts? Do they grow out of these things? Is there a way to get them to stop clawing the paper towels and toilet paper? Is there a way to get them to stop chewing all of my papers? And stop digging in all of my houseplants?

I know declawing is an option. While I don't care to get into an entire discussion about that, I am not against it. HOWEVER--at the risk of sounding cheap, I hate to spend $280 per cat for declawing... and then still have every problem that I currently have with these guys, MINUS the papertowel/toilet paper one, and then rehome them for free.

So any thoughts and helpful tips are appreciated. Thanks.

My first question: Do you have toys for them, their own personal furniture, scratching posts, etc?

My second question: Can you put them in a room when you're not home? Say, lock them in the bathroom or your bedroom?

We recently got a 3 month old kitten(my other two cats I got past the "kitten" stage). Spirit was 6 months old, Speed 9, when I brought them home, and they'd outgrown the crazy stage. Our new kitten doesn't seem to have a "crazy" stage unless it's 3AM and she wants to play. It could be that your kittens have no house manners, depending on where the manager had them(he may have said they were house-raised, but it's possible they weren't).

I'd suggest confining them to one room when you're not home, and keep up with the spraying/etc when you are home. Get them some of their own personal "kitty" furniture, or build some yourself, that they can climb on and learn to use as their own.

This is all completely normal kitten behavior. I have a 12 week old kitten that does all of these things. As far as the toilet paper goes- shut the bathroom door. That's a simple fix. I know that you said that you "refuse" to rearrange anything for your cats, but that's part of having animals. They all chew on plants (every cat that I've ever owned) even when they're adults. They will probably continue to sit on your furniture. They can be broke of countertops and tables alot easier then couch. It's just a comfortable place for them to sit or sleep. I don't think declawing will do any good because they aren't scratching anything, are too young to undergo anestesia and may outgrow scratching at things anyway. As far as digging in the plants, they'll probably outgrow this, but still need to try to teach them that it's not ok to do. Kittens are like babies. They want to touch, explore and will eat whatever they find! If you're not willing to rearrange things, than they probably aren't for you. Maybe you'd be better off with adult cats that are a little more mellow. Count yourself as lucky! My kitten literally climbs the curtains! But all animals have pros and cons. Even dogs- they will do all of these things as well while they're puppies. Young animals are just like babies. Anything that you'd do for a baby you should do for your kittens (except for changing diapers, you need to change the cat box instead.LOL)

I have 2 kittens that I bottle fed since April 15th. When these 2 got older they too chewed up paper towels, toilet paper, etc. They would chase each other and knock stuff off the counters It is just a phase they are going through they are a lot better than 2 months ago. They like staying outside with the dogs. They have been fixed and had all their shots.

I do have toys for them. They have a cat tree/scratching post sort of thing, toy mice, and plenty of things around the house for them to bat around. Plus those feather toys that you sort of wave around in the air and they play with.... Half the stuff I bought for them they don't use, so I'm somewhat hesitant to go out and buy very much more in terms of toys...

I can close them in a room when I'm not home, but there's really not a room where there's not plenty of stuff for them to knock over and break. I don't have a lot of storage space or cabinets here, so there's a LOT of stuff on my counters and bookshelves and so on.. so even my bathroom, the counter is just covered with stuff, cause I only have like a 24x24 space under the sink for a few towels and stuff.... I had them closed in the bathroom for the first few days, but the vet said they have hookworms, and treated them for it, but the only place in my bathroom (it's small) to place the litter box is in the bathtub... and the vet said since hookworms are zoonotic, that if I have the litter box in the bathtub, then I need to bleach the bathtub every day before I use it. Seems a little much to do everyday....

The cats were raised inside for the first few weeks of their lives, but then were put outside with the mom cat and some food and some toys for the 5 weeks prior to when I got them. Maybe that has something to do with it?

I will be completely honest--I don't have room for any more furniture here. I have the cat tree, but the place is compacted as it is. I really don't. I can't even move most of my chin cages from my parents' house here cause there's just nowhere to put them. I was supposed to rent a bigger place and that fell through last minute, so I had to scramble and find someplace... and ended up here... and it's a small place. That being said, in my defense, I have friends who have similarly-sized places and can handle a dog and a few cats, so I thought it'd be ok... course their cats are older, but they said they were never like this, even as kittens...

I don't know-- Maybe the people I know with cats have had exceptions to the rule or something... cause I mean, before I got these guys, I was relying on what I knew from my friends... who have cats that stay off the furniture, don't chew the houseplants, definetly don't dig in them, and so on... but then again, I suppose these cats were raised "in the house" from the time they were very young, and learned these things super young, whereas I haven't had them for very long...

I don't have a problem with them on the couches or that kind of thing, but I don't want them on the kitchen table, for instance....

Maybe I was lucky with my dog... or something... cause like I tell my dog "no" and she stops. Like I feel she listens... The other day, I had a terrycloth robe hanging from the back of the chair I was sitting on.. the one kitten came up and started scratching on it. I sprayed her and she stopped. Not even a minute later, she started up again, and I sprayed her again... This went on for like 20 minutes, I mean I must have sprayed her 20 times and she kept going back to scratching at the robe...the only reason she stopped was cause I finally moved the robe. I mean I know they're not dogs, I understand that. But my dog would have understood by the 20th time, and it's frustrating to me that the cat was still scratching at the robe after spray #20....

Sorry to be blunt, but this sounds like the people that buy a chin and then say "I didn't know it needed A/C and I refuse to buy one, nor did I know they are nocturnal and they keep me awake."

99% of what you're saying is normal behavior. The issues you are having are pretty easily correctable, yet you seem unwilling to do anything about it. People clear knick-knacks when they have a toddler until the child is old enough to know to not touch it. Same thing with kittens. You need to move your breakables now. When they are less kitten (usually by 9 months or so) you can put them back. YOU have to teach them it isn't okay to knock them over or be on the furniture.

They need to be in a confined space when you are gone. My foster kittens stay in the bathroom. It also sounds like they are bored. Kittens need tons of toys...paper balls, scratching posts, wand toys, jungle gyms (I got mine at Ross for $6 and EVERY foster kitten LOVES it), etc.

They are chewing paper because they are teething. Give them appropriate chew toys, and lots of them. Straws have been a lifesaver in my house.

Cats dig, it's what they do. Put your plants on a ledge they can't get to. As for cord chewing - chins do that too. Do you get rid of them for that? I bet you cover up cords. Do that for the cats. This is also teething behavior and will go away.

On a final note - don't declaw. You're likely to end up with cats with behavior issues (i.e. biting) in addition to your other problems, which won't help anyone. I'm happy to give you any suggestions I can if you truly want to keep these cats. It sounds like you have already made up your mind to rehome them though.

I really don't want to rehome them, despite how it may sound, but I just sort of feel like I don't know what to do. I mean I want honest opinions here, I do, but I just don't understand... ok, so say I keep them enclosed in the bathroom all day.. and then bleach the tub everynight for the next month til the vet confirms the hookworms are gone... then when I'm home.. I cannot watch them the entire time... I just can't. I don't have time to watch tv, or go out with friends, or that kind of stuff, most days of the week cause I'm busy doing schoolwork or something... sitting at my desk staring at the screen... so I mean if I only let them out when I can watch them like a hawk, they wouldn't be out much....

As I said in a previous post, I don't have any storage space. I really don't. If you could see my closets, I can't even walk in them (and I mean, you could only take a few steps in anyway, but...) because they are packed full of stuff. That's the problem I'm having with the breakable stuff--I really don't have anywhere to put it. And some of the stuff they're knocking over--things like lamps... I just can't put those away, I need light in the place...there are no ceiling lights here... and all the lamps are on tables with nice dangly cords that look attractive to the kitties... is there a way to make the cords less attractive?

What are appropriate chew toys? I mean I honestly just don't know...

Also... I have nowhere to put the plants. We're not talking about plants in a 6" pot that can be put on a windowledge (which the cats sit on anyway), we're talking about 18"-24" pots that probably weigh 25 pounds or so with all the dirt in them. I moved them to the kitchen table, which is where they currently are, and where they are currently being dug in. I only have one chin cage here, but because of the close-proximity of the furniture here (like I said, it's mildly cramped), they can even get to the top of that (which is higher than the kitchen table), so that doesn't work for plants or other things either (it's a melamine cage, so we can set stuff on top of it).

And actually, for the chins, I don't cover up the cords. If I let the chins out, it's in a playpen and they're supervised cause they try to get out of that.... They don't get the run of the house, or any room for that matter, because there isn't a room that I could chin-proof without major work being done to the room...because of things like cords, wood furniture, and such...

On another note... if I keep them... they probably are going to get declawed... again, I have friends with declawed cats and they haven't turned into devil-cats.... these kittens, they knead everything with their claws and are ruining my blankets, couches, and so on... they're pulling up like loops out of the fabric... and it's starting to look really crappy. Not like I have great furniture as it is, but I don't care for all my stuff to look like it came from goodwill....

Not to mention, even though I have a scratching post and have rubbed catnip on it, and have tried to get them to use it (maybe I'm doing it wrong?) they still are clawing at my furniture...

Is spraying them the wrong way to go about this? I mean I just don't know... cause it doesn't seem to be getting the point across... as I spray them and they go right back to doing it when I'm not looking...

And I understand that's how kids are, they wait until your back is turned to grab the cookie out of the cookie jar...but I hate to keep them cooped up in a tiny bathroom for the next 6 months of their life until they learn some manners when they're let out....

Get a scratching post with catnip already in it if you can.

Tape cords to the wall, so they don't "dangle" and hide them under rugs. Most stores have good teething toys for cats, just like the ones they have for puppies. They crinkle, and stuff. Kittens like things that make noise. And straws, as Tia suggested.

Don't declaw the cats. They will learn with your reinforcement what is "Ok" to claw and what isn't. Declawing isn't just taking the nail off, it deforms the paws' bones. Get "sticky paws" and put it where you don't want them clawing and/or jumping. The cats don't like the stickiness. You can also get caps for their nails until they learn what is "ok" to claw. And watch them, simply put. It's just like a baby, as stated above.

I'm having a really hard time with some of your excuses. It is okay to admit you're in over your head and rehome them. If you're unwilling to make changes, that's what is best for both you and the kittens. Some quick responses, as my lunch break is just about over.

1) Put a small litterbox on the floor of the bathroom, rather than in the tub. Your bathroom can't be THAT small. If there is room for your feet when you sit on the toilet, there is room for a box.

2) Sounds like you need to get rid of some stuff. Goodwill, storage unit, garbage, etc. Even without cats your house sounds like a miserable place to live (per your own description) and I'm not sure how you live with a dog in there.

3) Masking tape or foil work great to keep cats off/out of where you don't want them to be. They don't like the sticky on their paws. Put tape around the plant pot/dirt and they will stay out of it. Put foil on the couch when you can't watch them 24/7 and they will stay off. Use bitter apple on cords.

4) Kittens don't respond to catnip, and not all adults do. What kind of post do you have? Try another. Cardboard, sissal, carpet, flat on the floor, flat on the wall, regular post, etc. No pet is one-size fits all.

5) Declawing is very controversial, as you know. I'll just say that 75% of the declaws we get at the shelter have litterbox issues, compared to <10% of the "normal" clawed cats that come to the shelter. They are also much more likely to have behavior issues. Regardless of your decision, try using softpaws. That's what we use, and instantly our cat stops clawing. We can tell when the first one falls off, since he starts clawing again. They make them in kitten size.

Softpaws are the caps I was talking about. I'm also looking for the thread I had a little while back when Speed had his teething issues, but that may have been on CnQ. PetStages makes teething toys for cats.

Ok, so I have a question about the bathroom.... I suppose I can move the bath rub and the scale and my magazines and fit the litterbox there. So.... if I close them in there all day.... there's not much room... so they're going to get on the counter... this is a 3.5x5.5 foot bathroom (not counting the area where the floor widens around the toilet). So since I won't be in there to keep them off the counter... then am I going to later, eventually be able to get them to not get on the bathroom counter?
DSC_0734.jpg

I'll look for cat teething toys when I go to the store later...

A lot of the stuff that's in the closets which makes this place sound like a miserable place to live... that's in there because of the cats... the stuff that was moved was the stuff that can absolutely NOT be destroyed by them.... I'm moving into a bigger place in a year when my lease is up... and then I'll have some room...and hopefully cats that are better behaved...

I'll try the masking tape and foil with the plants and stuff....

I have a sisal post, and then a cardboard one that sort of hangs from a doorknob...

Edited to add: If I put the litterbox where I said above, they're gonna have the perfect seat to shred my toilet paper, cause sitting on top of the litterbox will put them the perfect height.... Thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Ok, so I have a question about the bathroom.... I suppose I can move the bath rub and the scale and my magazines and fit the litterbox there. So.... if I close them in there all day.... there's not much room... so they're going to get on the counter... this is a 3.5x5.5 foot bathroom (not counting the area where the floor widens around the toilet). So since I won't be in there to keep them off the counter... then am I going to later, eventually be able to get them to not get on the bathroom counter?

That bathroom is plenty big! Pick up the grandma stuff (hehe, I couldn't resist :)). I'd also flip up the shower curtain so they can't climb it. As for the counters, put tape around the edge or lay foil on top of it. You have to be consistent with training, so if you don't want them ever on the counters, you can't ever let them on the counter.

I know I've been hard on you. I should add that kittens are a HUGE amount of work. I foster pretty constantly, but they only stay with me until 2.25lbs (about 10 weeks). My husband and I never have foster "failures" because kittens are SO much work. The constant energy 24/7 is exhausting. You really have to play hard with them several hours per day to keep them from being destructive. A bored kitten is a nightmare. It's a big reason why the shelter I work with doesn't like to adopt out single kittens. Companions usually help with the boredom.

Ok, that makes sense, I'll do that with the foil.

Question though.... like I said, most nights, I come home and I do homework for a few hours and go to bed... I do walk my dog, for about 45-60 minutes each night, and play with her for a bit of time... but I honestly don't have several extra hours per day to play with the cats. I mean don't get me wrong, I play with them with the feather toy and throw the mice for them and stuff, but I don't have several extra hours, and I don't see myself having those extra hours at any point in the next few years...

I want to be fair to the cats, I want to be sure I'm a good home for them...and I will admit, I didn't think much before I brought them home.... I've never had cats before, but my friends, their cats just kind of sit around.. like they play with them.... but not for several hours each day...and not even every day.... I'm behind on my schoolwork and I sleep like 4-5 hours a night.... so there just aren't extra hours to be had....

That's partially why I got the two, I thought I would have a little less work required (ha!) if I had two cause they'd play with each other....I mean is there any alternative to playing with them for several hours a night? Is there anything I can do to shrink that amount of time down some?

I mean I am willing to adjust some stuff to make this a good home for them, I am. But if they really do require several hours a night of playtime, then they probably would do better somewhere else... I'm in law school and time is just not a luxury right now for me....

Everything Tiatrack said was right on so I won't beat a dead horse.

When I'm dealing with a frustrated owner of a kitten(s), I tell them the most important thing is to relax and try to keep a sense of humor. Come on...kittens are cute and do cute things! They love life and live it to the fullest! My latest "kitten" is now over a year and I love it when he still, on occasion, resorts to cute, mischievious behavior. Sometimes you just have to laugh when you walk in on a very proud kitten that has just shredded your toilet paper LOL ... or else you'll make yourself crazy. Most cats do learn to behave with steady, repetitious training. Just like a child :) Google kitten training. There are a lot of ideas out there from good behaviorists.

Just like with a child, you DO have to temporarily kitten proof...meaning keep dangerous electrical cords hidden, temporarily put away precious breakables, hang cheap curtains etc. It's not forever but it does save you a lot of headaches and grief.

the most important thing is to relax and try to keep a sense of humor. Come on...kittens are cute and do cute things! They love life and live it to the fullest! My latest "kitten" is now over a year and I love it when he still, on occasion, resorts to cute, mischievious behavior. Sometimes you just have to laugh when you walk in on a very proud kitten that has just shredded your toilet paper LOL ... or else you'll make yourself crazy. Most cats do learn to behave with steady, repetitious training. Just like a child :)

I 100% agree with this. The reason I got my first cat is pretty much because of those things. I've never laughed so much on a daily basis until then...LOL. I now am up to 4 and I wouldn't change it for the world. The kitten stage is the best part. I always miss it when it's over.

I'm not so sure you are a cat person. If you are lucky you will have these kitties into your 40's. I am not a dog person, they drive me nuts after about 5 minutes, but I love just about every other animal.

I'm not so sure you are a cat person. If you are lucky you will have these kitties into your 40's. I am not a dog person, they drive me nuts after about 5 minutes, but I love just about every other animal.
See that's kind of why I also wonder if I'm not a cat person... my dog has to do an awful lot to annoy me, as do my chins or my other pets... but the cats...like right now, I have them closed in the bathroom with their toys, and I can hear them jumping at the door over and over and over and meowing and meowing and meowing (which they only do when they're closed in a room) and it's driving me nuts... like little things they do seem to annoy me more than little things my dog would do...

Well we'll see. I'm not rehoming them yet, I'm gonna try the foil and all that for for the houseplants and things, and taping the cords up and all that, but for some reason my dog just doesn't get to me like they do....

Here is a perfect example of one of my pet peeves. I get annoyed when people say "I love kittens but then they grow up to be CATS". I point out to them that kittens are very annoying and get into everything, climb the curtains, etc. When I have a kitten I can't wait for it to grow up and be a cat when they act like civilized beasts. I like cats way more than I like kittens but I can tolerate kittens until they grow up.

What I'm saying is once these kittens grow up they will certainly settle down and become civil. Only you can decide if you want to deal with them lovingly and patiently until then.

They're kittens for one thing. It's like a puppy. I'm sure you had issues with your puppy too, like housebreaking. It takes time for them to understand what is appropriate.

And for another thing, they're cats, not dogs. Dogs more so work to please their owner. Cats are more independent. It's just a fact of life. Now, there are some cats that are very owner orientated, but most cats are independent.

Do not declaw your cats. It's very inhumane, look up the procedure. They pretty much hack of the front part of the bone in their toes.

For digging up the dirt in the pots, cut out a circle of foil with a hole for the stalk of the plant and put the foil on top of the dirt. They most likely won't try to dig at the foil, they don't like the way it feels.

As far as using the scratching post, I'm sure there are sites out there that show how to teach a cat to use the post, not the furniture.

It's like any small baby, you need to teach them, they don't come already taught what is appropriate and what is not.

Back